[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2nd Year Mechanical Engineer Thinking about switching to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1395549157651.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1395549157651.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>2nd Year Mechanical Engineer

Thinking about switching to Computer Science. I was always tech savvy and do enjoy programming. Am I making a mistake?

I have heard many people say Computer Science is not programming at all. What can I expect?
>>
>>51540445
Yes. Just finish your degree and go back for it later. You $hould really do a double major.
>>
>>51540492
Well the thing is I'm doing terrible in Mechanical Engineer especially statics

I just don't really have interest in the material

Currently have a D+ in Statics. Finals will be in two weeks and pretty sure I'm going to fail that.
>>
>>51540445
Computer science is a terrible name for the field because it's not a true science and the computer is a tool.

Essentially it is a field of problem solving through algorithms (and more prominently data science as of recent)
>>
>>51540445
CS is heavy math. If you like math a lot specially mathematical proofs this is a career for hou.
>>
>>51540523
Well I am doing well in Math

I am actually done with Math (aced all my Calc/Linear Algebra/Diff Equation) classes, so hopefully those will transfer over if I do switch
>>
>>51540445
Depends on your university.
Some CS programs are glorified "software engineering" codemonkey degrees.
Others take computer science literally and make it highly math and theory based.
Most do an even mixture of programming and theory plus hardware architecture.
>>
>>51540521
If you don't have interest in what your doing now, switch.
>>
>>51540778
Also look up ABET requirements if it's a BSc
>>
>>51540521
Switch immediately. Statics is fundamental to ME. If you don't like it/can't do it, it's wasted money.
>>
Double majoring computer engineering and mechanical engineering might a better match.
There is a high demand for good engineers and in the field of robotics, that would be a great starting point.
CS is a decent field if you want to design algorithms.
But I am guessing you went into mechanical to build cool stuff.
>>
>>51540445
>Am I making a mistake?

Yes
>>
Being tech savvy is irrelevant, math proficiency is what matters.
>>
>>51540521
If you can't do statics, you can't do deform/mechanics of materials. It's a pre-req for a reason. Dynamics will be rough and has a lot of statics you need as well. Unless you're in ME for thermo, or systems and controls you might want to reconsider ME.
>>
I'm a 4th year Mech Eng who knows a lot of CS people.
The fields are completely unrelated, the closest thing I've done to CS is matlab and arduino scripting.
What CS is depends on the school, but seems at mine that it's a healthy mix of logical theory and applying through actual programming.
>>
>>51540521
>Failing statics
Nigga this shit's easy. You might be beyond saving if you can't do this.
>>
I switched from CS to ME while I was doing my bachelors

ME still has opportunities for programming depending on your school (although they will be pretty simple). Also in my opinion it is easy to learn how to program independently, which is not the case for a lot of ME subjects.

I am doing my masters now in computational engineering which is pretty much a nice mix of the two. I would say learning the necessary physics (fluid mechanics/dynamics, optics, etc) was much more difficult than the programming part.
>>
If you are interested in programming, you want an SE or CIS program, not CS.

Programming and software development is to CS as a calculator is to Engineering: A tool you might use often, but the discipline certainly doesn't revolve around it.
>>
>>51542944

If you get into CS thinking it's about programming, you're going to have a bad time.
>>
At my university ME and CS have just as much math, with the only difference that CS have discrete mathematics instead of statistics. Is that uncommon?
>>
These days it's programming, but I'd stick to mech engineering cause you can just take some programming classes to learn programming. Computer science alone just makes you a code monkey. I regret not majoring in physics or math or computer engineering. The guys with the CE degrees design all the hardware and make decisions. I just code drivers at my company, it sucks. I'll never be at their level.
>>
>>51543088
But their hardware can't work without your drivers anon :^)
>>
>>51540445

>>51542944 is right though if you went into CS, then your code basically writes itself.
and most time is spent staring at matlab window, rather than actual IDE
>>
>>51543083
I realize i have mistaken CS with CE. Sorry for bad English
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.