[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is systemd and why there is so much discussion over it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Is9vjRJ.jpg (54 KB, 430x760) Image search: [Google]
Is9vjRJ.jpg
54 KB, 430x760
What is systemd and why there is so much discussion over it?
>>
>>51540312
google it you fucking retard
>>
>>51540312
>What is systemd
botnet
>>
>>51540312
instead of initializing scripts and processes at boot one at a time it initializes them in parallel, making the boot time much quicker. It is seen as a good thing by a lot but imo it breaks UNIX principles of keeping things short, simple, clear and modular.
>>
>>51540312
It's a microsoft tool designed to make developing mobile apps much easier. It's basically the reason why Windows Mobile is not completely dead.
>>
>>51540554
This. Although, UNIX is a trademark. You mean Unix principles.
>>
>>51540554
My Gentoo installation starts init scripts in parallel on OpenRC though.
>>
is that finger about to jam it up your ass?
>>
>>51541543
This.

Systemd is NOT about parallel boot, we already have that shit. It is supposed to be about simplifying init (in the same way windows simplifies the os by hiding everything away in C:\Windows). It is a bloated piece of shit that does not support BSD because Lennart claims BSD is not relevant because fuck user freedom of choice.
>>
File: 1408149286668.gif (3 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1408149286668.gif
3 MB, 480x320
>>51540312
>What is systemd and why there is so much discussion over it?
started to a replacement for one thing, ended up replacing a fuckload of things.
the gif is quite old but it's very acurate
>>
>>51542311
>does not support BSD because Lennart claims BSD is not relevant because fuck user freedom of choice.
I can't agree with you here, he works for Red Hat, he has no obligation of making his software portable. He made it available and that's enough.
I do agree that it's a piece of shit
>>
>>51542403
>he has no obligation of making his software portable.
Yet another big weakness of the FOSS model; the bigoted/lazy/mad dev. Oh, that's right, someone will step up and do the Right Thing.
>>
>>51543631
The right thing about the Lennart Poettering case ?
>>
>>51542311
sysvinit was already simple
>>
Systemd is a "dependency network between objects, usable for propagation, combined with a powerful execution engine"
>>
Systemd is a piece of shit.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.