[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last thread hit bump limit >>51518130 >What is IPF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 2
File: Ipfs-logo-1024-ice-text[1].png (70 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ipfs-logo-1024-ice-text[1].png
70 KB, 1024x1024
Last thread hit bump limit >>51518130

>What is IPFS?
It's basically BitTorrent on steroids.

>why would one use it
* Distributed, decentralized filesharing (for now - ipfs is merely the communication protocol, and additional applications can exist on top of it).
* You can have a mutable address (i.e. always points to the latest version of a site), or a static address (points to a specific file). Yes, you can host sites over IPFS.
* Peers are found fast for new downloads. You don't need to wait that much to start a download.
* You can watch your animu while it downloads, I watched few episodes that way and it didn't even buffer.

>how to upload a single file
$ ipfs add ./$file
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$outputted-hash
>how to upload a dir
$ ipfs add -r ./$dir
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$last-outputted-hash
>how to make the thing mutable
$ ipfs name publish ./$file-or-dir-hash
Access it at localhost:8080/ipns/$output-hash-aka-peerid (it's ipNs not ipFs)
To update, publish another hash and it will be available at the same IPNS address.

>gateways (how to access IPFS if you don't have it installed)
https://gateway.ipfs.io/

>I2P and Tor support coming soon™. We need that thing anonymous so pls halp.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/1118
https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/37
https://github.com/jbenet/go-multiaddr-net/issues/7

>Sites with content on them
/ipns/gindex.dynu.com/ site index
/ipns/QmUqBf56JeGUvuf2SiJNJahAqaVhFSHS6r9gYk5FbS4TAn anime tracker

Hourly reminder to pin files that you care about.
>>
first for NSA
>>
>BitTorrent on stereoids
I thought we agreed to stop with this.

Yes, it has similarities with.torrent and is even directly influenced by it. And it completely subsumes torrents for file sharing purposes. But the interesting features come from its possible applications to things other than file sharing.

Just to get it out of the way: Yes, it's encrypted. No, it's not anonymous.
>>
>FYI, there have been a lot more stuff posted in the other threads that haven't been added.
Repost the links and name them.
>>
What ports are neeeded for ipfs? My university has many bittorrent ones blocked.
>>
>>51536987
4001 (peer-to-peer), 5001 (webui), 8080 (local GET listener)
>>
>>51537001
5001 and 8080 are only required locally and won't be affected by firewalls

4001 is the default for p2p, but can be anything, doesn't even need to be forwarded, i have one running behind a NAT on 4601 and it still werks
>>
>>51537055
So technically no ports are vital?
>>
>>51537158
the p2p ports need to be able to communicate to the network, but it doesn't need to be any specific number
>>
>>51534362
More questions!!

Why can't i have Pins have normal names... or why does the webui or ipfs client not support aliasing? Or does it and i'm retarded

also whats the purpose of pinning compared to Getting?

Can IPFS work on an intranet setting? for distribution\redundancy\etc.,

How can i post a hash without 4chan thinking it's spam, jfc
>>
>>51537560
Because content-addressed. use wrapped files (add -w) or add a TXT record to your dns.
It seeds the file forever.
Yes.
Add newlines
>>
>>51537654

ipfs /QmdDn1GZtFayMrTNUiW5GUp 26mASRh9ydkbc1HDZHskZ6
>>
>>51537794
Thats the only way i could get it on here
remove the whitespaces

Spelunky Classic - spelunky_1_1.zip (win32 freeware)
>>
>>51537794
God dammit
add a q to the end of it ...
>>
>>51536860
Is there any way to make it anonymous?

Even though its encrypted can copyright holders can see that you are downloading that file? as they can see you as a seeder or leacher?

It will just be that your ISP cant see what content you are downloading correct?
>>
>>51538112
>Is there any way to make it anonymous?
i2p, tor, anonet, etc.
>can copyright holders can see that you are downloading that file?
All they have to do is hash the file and use ipfs swarm findprovs to find anyone who has at least cached the file. They can't tell if someone has the file cached or pinned, and they can't tell who the original uploader is.
>>
>>51538112
They would have to have the byte-by-byte exact same file as you in order to compute the hash and check if your client is seeding it, or find the hash som other way (e.g. trawling websites and looking for links). This is security by obscurity, but then again, it was never meant to be anonymous in and by itself.

You can also, technically, create your own private swarm by overriding the default list of peers (and have the others do the same), if you want to keep outsoders away.
>>
>>51537560
You can create local names for your hashes by FUSE mounting and symlinking. Though setting local names directly sound like a usability improvement. You should suggest it on their issue tracker.
>>
for the last day or so my IPFS has no peers. it was working fine before I started downloading a collection of pictures. I cleared the repo, even deleted my ipfs folder (except the config file), but now it still does not work. this is on arch
>>
>>51539396
Have you restarted your daemon?
>>
>>51539663
multiple times
>>
>>51539396
>even deleted my ipfs folder (except the config file)
This might be the problem. Have you tried to ipfs init again?
>>
>tor support not a critical central feature

NSA confirmed
>>
>>51540604
He says, while browsing 4chan on normal HTTP(S).
>>
Gameboy roms.
/ipfs/QmZtZWrU2MNfNMRymHYtHzd6SL5ACVxsaDxyanMrrquw9W
>>
>>51541699
Doesn't load for me or via ipfs.io. Publish better.
>>
>>51541699
Check your hash. Looks like its not working.
>>
>>51537158
It probably does UDP STUN, so unless there's a firewall that only has a whitelist (instead of a blacklist), you'll be fine.
>>
>>51542602
Correct.
>>
>>51540542
yea i have
>>
>>51542447
/ipfs/QmZtZWrU2MNfNMRymHYtHzd6SL5ACVxsaDxyanMrrquw9W
>>
File: bigblocks.png (76 KB, 642x511) Image search: [Google]
bigblocks.png
76 KB, 642x511
I'm uploading a lot of data (20GB+) and despite the datastore being set to 10GB my blocks folder is roughly the same as my uploaded files. Is this supposed to be the case?
>>
>>51544493
It werks, but
>D:\foo\bar\name of file
KEK
>>
>>51545371
Yes, pinning and cache are 2 different things. Cache is for temporary files that may be garbage-collected, datastore also contains all objects you pin (though that's being worked on and a future release will simply symlink instead of copying)
>>
>>51545783
Only way i could get it to add was to make the directory like that. Its fucking retarded.
>>
>>51546537
Don't use Windows or don't complain.
>>
>>51545801
>that's being worked on and a future release will simply symlink instead of copying
Is this confirmed? I thought the consensus was to use extent-level deduplication and trigger a dedup after adding a file. Symlinking would require a new datastore format.
>>
>>51546855
Ok, you have me there. I just use Windows for the gaymes. I guess i could use my rpi for ipfs. The question then would be how to use the storage on my gayming pc with the rpi?
>>
Is anyone uploading currently airing anime?

I would but all my nodes collectively have like 40gb of space.
>>
>>51548545
I have one punch man I can upload.
>>
>>51546915
Yeah it's confirmed. Low prio for right now though.
>>
>>51547182
I haven't used rpi for storage, but I'd imagine you can just plug in USB and connect that way.
>>
>>51549317
Well I'm already torrenting it and a bunch of others, but I was wondering if someone already set something up.

All it would need to be is a torrent program reading off an RSS feed and adding the files to the IPFS directory.
>>
There is sorta something like that. There's an anime tracker someone made. It currently doesn't have any airing anime on it. But you could easily send some to him with a quick auto publish script and an ipns link.

/ipns/QmUqBf56JeGUvuf2SiJNJahAqaVhFSHS6r9gYk5FbS4TAn
>>
>>51549605
>>51549691

You could also start your own tracker using the method you outlined.
>>
>>51549691
I'm hoping I can pick up some cheap hosting during the black friday sales, because otherwise I have shit home internet, live far away from everyone anyway, have data caps, and I don't have home mass storage anyway.

If I can get some space I'll do as above.
>>
>>51549836
I would only be able to do one show at a time. Only one ipns is allowed per peer. Eventually that will change.

I could possibly put every show in a single folder, but that would take a ridiculously long time to hash.
>>
>>51549836
>>51550235
Actually, I cant do that at all. Because of the one ipns limitation, I wouldn't be able to host the site html file. I can either host a tracker, or an anime.
>>
>>51550258
I was thinking of just hosting each airing anime in a separate folder, and not have any html, the links would be posted on totoro or people could just bookmark the root directory or whatever.

If you are really going to host airing anime I have some spare hosts with a cloud company, they only come with 512gb ram, 1 cpu, and 10gb of storage, but that's enough for hosting a html page, and they are unmetered.

I can instance one for you, but wouldn't it be easier to keep all the anime on totoro?
>>
>>51550299
>>51550258
I'm not sure I'm down for running the official tracker, but how would I go about being a mirror? Literally just download the file and keep the daemon running, or do I have to tell it to serve the individual files?
>>
>>51550339
I'm not very experienced with IPFS but I believe if you mount the file system then anything you add to it is automatically added.

Otherwise I guess you would need a cron job to ipfs add them.
>>
>>51550299
I wasn't really planning on running one. I think the totoro one works good. I was just responding to the guy that said to.
>>
>>51550339
if you download something through ipfs, it'll stay in the cache until it's full, then it'll be cleared out
if you pin the hash, it will download it (if not already downloaded) and keep it in the cache permanently

anything in the cache will be available for others to download from you (you'll be seeding it)
>>
>>51534362
>decentralized
>the links can be accessed through a centralized gateway

gg
>>
>>51550692
>centralized gateway
No.
>>
>>51550235
>>51550258
I don't see the problem. Just point the IPNS to a directory containing a directory for every show (and optionally also an index.html file).

Or just add all files directories separately and publish a HTML file containing the hashes like everyone else has been doing: You don't need to publish your animus under IPNS unless you want them mutable. And if you do want to update them (because of translation corrections etc), just add the new version and update the link in your HTML.

>I could possibly put every show in a single folder, but that would take a ridiculously long time to hash.
If you're worried about the time it takes to hash, you can add each new anime separately and use
$ ipfs object patch
with
add-link
to update the directory. Only the new show and the directory listing need to be hashed. I'll whip up a howto, posting it in a little while.
>>
>>51550258
You're wrong. All you need to do is to is
ipfs add -r tracker/ | awk 'END { print $1; }' | xargs ipfs name publish

after you finish downloading from the torrent, which itself can be done automatically and register a trigger at completion time.
>>
>>51550692
>can
Are you retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>51550235
>>51550258
>>51553899
Here: /ipns/QmZhFdzvpes5XsQB9g6
R5qKYsdt32VSnr6vU
njifVPXNxn/posts/2015-11-27-directory-listing-IPFS.html

IPNS refuses to resolve it even locally for me, so here is a direct link:
/ipfs/QmZfnajh7ngDNE3hay2
3qY2DDLLuj99Zj1Gr3t5
XK9kB2z/posts/2015-11-27-directory-listing-IPFS.html
>>
>>51555630
Neither of them are resolving, you probably didn't publish correctly.
>>
>>51556168
Nevermind, it resolved just as I posted.

You probably didn't ipfs name publish right though. The similarity in the hashes is very suspicious.
>>
>>51556183
AAAAAND
Nevermind, even the ipns name resolved now.
W E W
E
W
>>
>>51556183
>>51556192
I think IPNS is just slow. And my network is probably congested as fuck.
>>
>>51556218
Yeah, IPNS is slow in this release, but other people's names resolved much faster on average in my experience. They might have tested it on gateways, hence the gateways would have cached it in advance, though.
>>
>>51556256
Yeah, maybe. I tried out IPNS on another computer a couple of weeks ago and it resolved much faster. Maybe I used another version.
>>
>>51556256
Speaking of other people's IPNS's, I can't access /ipns/gindex.dynu.com at all at the moment. Is this happening to anyone else?
$ ipns dht findprovs
on the IPFS hash lists just one peer, namely the uploader himself.
>>
>>51557856
I see over 5 providers with ipfs dht findprovs but ipfs.io doesn't seem to be able to access it.
>>
>>51538257
>They can't tell if someone has the file cached or pinned
Applying basic statistics and checking every day they can
>>
>>51558017
Oh, same for me now.

I guess the author had just pushed a new version when I tried it or something. Dunno why I couldn't access it, though.
>>
>>51558388
No, because you can't tell if someone is visiting the site every day, or if they even use ipfs. Hell, you can't tell if they haven't visited that file once a decade ago and have only ever browsed the same site 24/7 from then on. Pure text takes a long time to fill up 10 GB. That's even assuming the person has kept the 10 GB cache limit and didn't increase it to 50 TB.
>>
To the gindex guy:

The hashes from from >>51555630 work, in case you want to add them to your list. Here is the final version of the directory: /ipfs/QmertFoMYdKGRPMzRuqEr
ET96CwikcyryLGg5odYfpK4xt
>>
>>51558777
It's already added as ipns.
>>
>>51559171
I meant the animus themselves. Didn't notice that you'd added the blog, though, so that's nice.
>>
>>51559285
Should ask the anime tracker guy to add them instead. My page is meant to be a way to easily reach content rather than a complete archive of all ipfs content. I'd be duplicating the tracker otherwise. If he doesn't respond I'll add them, though.
>>
>>51559345
Oh okay. Will do.
>>
>>51559363
>>51559345
>>51558777
Anime tracker guy here. I'm at a thanksgiving party right now, but I'll add these shows either tonight or tomorrow when I have the time. Keep seeding em!
>>
>>51534362
that's actually a great idea.
>>
>>51559768
Also, I'm planning on expanding my tracker to include all sorts of media, as no one else has started one. So if you guys have movies, normal TV shows, or just whatever else, I'll be sure to get those up as well.
>>
>>51559887
meaning distributed web, which apparently isn't this faggot's idea.
>>
>>51559928
That is the faggots idea though
>>
>>51558777
nice get senpai
>>
>>51560000
hory sheet checkd
>>
>>51559907
You can add a centralized connection to enable uploading content to your tracker without intervention by using direct peer connection over ipfs, by the way. It's not fully distributed unfortunately, but it can be useful as a stopgap. See /ipfs/QmTkzDwWqPbnA
h5YiV5VwcTLnGdwSNsNTn2aDxdXBFca7D/example#/ipfs/QmThrNbvLj7
afQZhxH72m5Nn1qiVn3eMKWFYV49Zp2mv9B/api/service/readme.md for details.
>>
Gameboy Color Roms: /ipfs/QmNShe6p2KE1xq
W4CdVoTBtGbvEUs4DNMwXumcwDdThYZC
>>
>>51560170
Thanks m8. I'll look into that more. I've also been looking into smart contracts. Looking into finding a way to allow submitting completely decentralized.
>>
>>51560519
For now someone will have to develop a small local http server to dispatch requests correctly to do that with smart contracts. e.g. listen on some port, all GET requests become GET requests on 8080, all POST requests become execution of smart contracts.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.