[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wog friday is almost amongst us. What shall I get /g/? A card
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: fightofthecentury.jpg (286 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fightofthecentury.jpg
286 KB, 1920x1080
wog friday is almost amongst us. What shall I get /g/?

A card with optimisation out of the gate or a card which will perform slightly better in a few months of a any given games release?

Also, why is jayz2cents not discussed on here whereas that pissant linuxtechtits is?
>>
>>51528772

They will perform about the same in 1080, and at higher resolution the 390 wins. Plus 8 gb video ram, which even if you don't use it all is better than 3.5 gigs.
>>
it depends..

do you want "A card with optimisation out of the gate or a card which will perform slightly better in a few months of a any given games release?"

theres your answer
>>
390 has the added benefit of not supporting Goyimworks
>>
>>51528873
How would one fair with a define R5 case with the top panels closed, 2 fans at front and one at back (with higher cfm)? Compared to a 970.

>>51528874
It's surprisingly hard to answer, has the the 970 improved noticeably in subsequent drivers after release?
>>
>>51528920
But then Nvidia seems to have their claws in most major studios whereas AMD never seems to bother (aside from dice)

>>51528936
So not supporting goyimworks, and judging by performance on both teams in gaymworks, would be as bad as supporting it. Kind of makes it cancel itself out.
>>
970:
+Highly overclockable
+Lower temps and power consumption
+Stellar driver support for games and most important new releases, usually a day 1 driver released.
=Roughly the same performance, they swap blows at 1080p

R9 390:
-Higher temps
-Not as overclockable
+8GB VRAM
+Performs about the same at 1080p, better at higher resolutions(1440+) generally.
-AMD drivers. Expect to wait a few weeks or months for optimization. Tons of games are using gameworks now so that's another issue. Some games may run horribly or just not work at all, crash like crazy, etc. (Ark survival evolved for 290/390 owners for instance)
>>
>>51529039
I expect this to go down like a ton of bricks but it seems a pretty good summery.
>>
>>51529039
The driver argument is no longer valid. In fact, lately I'm seeing Nvidia drivers being the mucked up ones. Temperatures are within 3-4*c on it's equivalent.
>>
so wtf? if you ever were to use more than 3.5 gigs on the 970 everything starts stuttering and shit? not to mention the coil whine issues, fuck this generation of cards desu
>>
>>51529039
Why include "Highly overclockable" as a benefit of the 970?
As if to deny that a fully overclocked R9 390 doesn't cream a fully overclocked 970.

Consumers want to know what is the more powerful card for the price point. The answer will always be the R9 390.

The only real cons of the superior 390 are the driver issues and gameworks.
>>
>>51531275
Longevity.

It's nice to know you can squeeze out extra performance later on in the cards life if needed. Similar to a cpu.

Also, when it comes to overclocking the two cards, even though you can probably overclock the 390 to get even better performance, the temperature increase and power consumption trade offs are really not worth it compared to a 970 which overclocks nicely even at stock voltages and barely gets any hotter.
>>
is it true you need a more powerful processor with the 390 to get the same results as the 970 with a weaker processor?
>>
>>51531498
I believe so. Nvidia has much better driver overhead.
>>
>>51531657
:(
wish I had known that before getting a 390 with an fx 8320
>>
>>51531051
I have two 970's in SLI, never had those issues, coil wine did concern me when I first bought the cards, but within a week or two, the coil whine disappeared, not like it lowered in volume, I mean it disappeared. The only time it comes back is when I'm performing the WinSAT test. As far as the ram issues, even when I just had one 970, I never faced the stuttering that people stated were so common, I play all my games at Max settings. To test this 3.5 theory, I played GTA 5 and increased the settings so that it would use 8GB of graphics memory, played fine with no stuttering at 60FPS vsync.
>>
>>51531657
>>51531686
>>51529039
Nvidiots and their driver memes

Look at the pathetic 780ti now. launched for 700$, worse than a 290x now. The 780? Deprecated shit
>>
Can I buy a 390 and still keep my nvidia card for cuda stuff or will the drivers cause conflicts?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.