[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 6990 still relevant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: amd-radeon-6990.jpg (93 KB, 680x440) Image search: [Google]
amd-radeon-6990.jpg
93 KB, 680x440
Is the 6990 still relevant?
>>
Not anymore lolol
>>
lol 69
>>
>>51528341
>>51528387
> lol
Samefag detected
>>
>>51528341
>>51528387
agreed this is a samefag.

>>51528255
The 6990 is still a very powerful card if you can find one for cheap. Would be a good budget card, probably can easily beat out a 960.
>>
>>51529756
You'll pay more in power to run the 6990 than you would pay to buy a more modern card in the first place.
>>
Not bad if you can get it for cheap, but driver updates for it have now ended, so don't expect new games to work with crossfire, so you're often stuck with the performance of a 6970.

>>51529805
This, unless power is free for you.
>>
File: 6990s.jpg (176 KB, 896x672) Image search: [Google]
6990s.jpg
176 KB, 896x672
>>51528255
Somewhat, you can still run modern games with high (but not ultra) settings at acceptable framerates, even at 1440p / 1600p. I'm still using my pair of them (not always using crossfire though). As of yesterday they're on legacy driver support though, so in a sense they're not relevant for very graphically intense games released in future. Even (OpenCL) compute wise, a modern high end card with a single GPU has about the same or better performance.
>>
>>51528255
AMD literally just dropped driver support for it yesterday, senpai.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9815/amd-moves-pre-gcn-gpus-to-legacy

That means no more Crossfire profiles.
>>
>>51530023
Compute-wise, every new generation deprecates the previous one. Gaems-wise, you could be using a GPU 5 generations back and play the latest AAA titles maxed with almost no exception.
>>
>>51528255
You are literally talking about this because of linus tech tips, get out.
>>
>>51529805
Unless you live in a ninth-world country where electricity rates are nontrivial, no.
>>
>>51530090
>because of linus tech tips

Not OP, but what was said about them?
>>
Used to be the fastest card on the market. Will it still run games? Sure. Drivers are a bit iffy and the card is just as suspect to xfire support as anything else. Not worth the power draw anymore though. Youre looking at what, 4p0ish watts under load for both gpus? To get the same performance a single gtx 670, 770, or r9 290 would get?

I always thought dual gpu cards were the shit but sucks devs and both AMD and nvidia never really optimized drivers to the fullest extent possible for multi gpu.
>>
>>51530409
>performance a single gtx 670, 770
wew lad
>>
Best card on the market
>>
>>51530306
6990 IDLE with two monitors attached is probably about 80W. That's quite high, let alone the insane wattage figures when actually running a game.
>>
>>51530468
I was referring to when the 6990 is running in single gpu mode.

I dont consider xfire performance in a xfire optimized game to be a good indicator pf overall performance because we all know sli and xfire support varies wildy from title to title.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.