[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point can I tell that I don't have the talent to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 1447297536841.jpg (102 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
1447297536841.jpg
102 KB, 800x789
At what point can I tell that I don't have the talent to be a programmer?
>>
File: 1444713727357.png (176 KB, 332x306) Image search: [Google]
1444713727357.png
176 KB, 332x306
>>51527377
now
>>
This is it
>>
File: cs_grad1.png (70 KB, 694x670) Image search: [Google]
cs_grad1.png
70 KB, 694x670
>>51527377
>>
>>51527377

In my intro class to C++, the instructor said pointers were the first threshold that weeded out non-hackers.
>>
>>51527465
Pointers are fucking simple though.

What is hard to grasp about them?
>>
>>51527465
>knowing how to use pointers == l337 HAX()R

kek
>>
What kind talents do you even need?

1. Basic logical thinking.
2. Self-discipline to not create an unmaintainable mess or release untested code.
>>
Yo if you don't have the talent to program you should straight up kill yourself. Programming is not a hard thing to do.
>>
>talent
>programmer

Yeah ok
>>
>>51528002
>first threshold that weeded out non-hackers
he's not saying doing pointers makes you a hacker, just if you can't, you're not
>>
>>51528087
>>51527465

I'd like to hear the next 5 thresholds
>>
>>51528070
>Programming is not a hard thing to do.
it is for normalfags
>>
Talent is not needed, just hard work. Write as many programs as you can in one programming language. If they're too hard, write simple programs, even very simple. Get an algorithms book and implement algorithms. The application doesn't matter, treat it as exercise.
Happy programming!
>>
>>51527465
>the instructor said pointers were the first threshold that weeded out non-hackers
You just got trolled by your professor.
>>
File: 1378169294991.jpg (26 KB, 731x565) Image search: [Google]
1378169294991.jpg
26 KB, 731x565
>started programming in college this year
>had to write a program in java that counts the number of words in a sentence using only characters a-z
>it took me a straight month to try and work it out and only because the teacher pretty much wrote it for me near the end
>>
It's not about talent, it's about enjoyment.

If you enjoy programming so much that you use your free time to code and learn how to code then you will be fine.

If you don't then you will struggle.
>>
>>51528318
String sentence = "the lazy fox jumps over the brown dog";
String[] words = sentence.split("\\s");
int count = 0;
for (Sting s: words){
if (s.matches("[a-z]+")){
count++;
}
}

I hope your teacher at least introduced you to regex.
>>
>>51527498
>>51528002
A lot of the kids in my own intro class (albeit in EE, not CS) had a hard time grasping the idea of return values, so I imagine something as indirect and syntactically nuanced as pointers would make them shit their pants

That's the whole point of weeder courses. There are a lot of people who are too retarded to understand the simplest ideas in a subject
>>
>>51528087
So not being able to programming normally make you a non-hacker?
Who knew?
>>
>>51528556
No. we were only allowed use if statements and loops.
>>
>>51528599
I see.
>>
>>51528616
>we were only allowed use if statements and loops.

System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'H'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'e'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'l'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'o'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{' '}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'W'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'o'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'r'}));
System.out.print(new String(new char[]{'d'}));

I'm a CS major.
>>
>>51528556
You are just returning the amount of thetter on the sentence, not the number of words composed only by letters
sentence="the lazy fox jumps over the brown dog34"
def counterFunction(sentence):
words=sentence.split(" ")
counter=0
for word in words:
print word
for letter in word:
if letter==letter.upper():
counter-=1
break
counter+=1
return counter
print counterFunction(sentence)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.