[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ i am building a gaming computer on a $1200 budget. Any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Hey /g/ i am building a gaming computer on a $1200 budget. Any suggestions on my parts before i buy them?

Corsair 450d case
Asus strix gtx 970
i5 6600k skylake processor
Evga 650 w psu
Corsair vengeance lpx 16 gb ddr4 ram
WD blue 1 tb
Cooler master hyper 212 evo
Asrock gaming motherboard z170 k6+ lga 1151

Any tips/feedback greatly appreciated!
>>
>GTX 970 mentiond
there we go again.
>>
Is there something wrong with the 970?
>>
>>51523526
Is there something wrong: yes
Does it still work: yes

>what is wrong
The 970 has a flawed design (on purpose). The 4gb memory is made of two components, 3.5gb high speed memory and 0.5 gb slow memory. The reason? The 970 with functional 4gb would be almost as fast as the 980, but Nvidia didn't want to market a 3gb card. The result? If the last 0.5gb is being used the card throttles HARD.

It's an amazing card IF you disable the last 0.5gb (which is possible I think) but if you buy it you are actively supporting business practices like this, which you should not.

On top of that the AMD alternative to the 970 is the 390, and probably the only good card they have released this generation.
>>
>>51523526
T H R E E
H
R
E
E
P O I N T
O
I
N
T
F I V E
I
V
E
>>
Interesting...... But does this 0.5 gb slow memory hurt gaming experiences? I was kind of trying to steer away from amd because i heard that they run hot
>>
>>51523640
Like I said, the card is great untill you hit that 0.5gb, it becomes rubbish then. It's not much of a problem now, but will be in the future.
>>
>>51523447
I want that case so bad. What's the cable management like in it?
>>
>>51523671
I have heard that the cable management is awesome, and the part of the case where wou attach the mobo has slits in it where you can wire your cables tgrough to the otger side, and tgerefore hide them from view and obstructing the parts completely
>>
>>51523669
>>51523669
Alright. Do you know of any way to disable the 0.5 gb?
>>
Does anyone have any feedback on my other parts?
>>
>>51523582

Couldn't have said it better. If you're gaming at 1080p you'll be fine. Otherwise might want the 390 instead, but get ready for the drivers memes to be thrown at you.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.