[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning build a living room computer for my parent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I'm planning build a living room computer for my parents. I basically need a decent browsing and video playback machine with a lot of space for my dad's music and mom's movies and shows. This is looking a bit into the future so I'm not interested in any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. I need recommendations for:

-Cheap but half decent CPU and mobo: I'm thinking an A6-7400K since Microcenter does mobo bundles with those, but I'd like y'all's input

-Good 2TB HDD and 120GB SSD

-Affordable and kinda quiet mATX case.

I'm trying to keep the budget under $350. Here's a half-assed rough build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M7jPCJ
>>
>>51523353
>living room computer
>SSD
>2TB
>just to play some movies and music

Sounds like total overkill. Just get some HTPC and use cloud storage or huge memory sticks as external backups.

Why in the god's name people still want to build PCs with cases and power sources just to watch movies and play sound files beats me.

I would just get an htpc for that or an intel computer stick with some mSD card or stick memory. More than enough for HD movies playback and all.
>>
>>51523572
It's not just for movie and music playback; it's mostly going to be a browsing machine with an HDMI cable going to the flatscreen. My dad has a shit ton of music and hates cloud storage, so I need a big hard drive. The SSD is there just because it's within budget and it's a nice thing to have. I know they ought to stream, but they're too old to care anymore.
>>
>>51524609
Just fucking buy a mac mini or an alienware alpha and plug in external drives into the back.
>>
>>51523572
If I were them, I'd just stick a chromebit in the TV and call it a day. They don't seem to like that idea.
>>
>>51523353
Its called android stick connected to 2TB HDD.

Look it up
>>
>>51524737
>>51524640
Okay, look. They want a fucking windows machine that they can sit down and browse with. I honestly just need a hard drive recommendation. Are the Seagates good?
>>
>>51524866
No. Seagates are awful. Get WD instead.
>>
>>51524902
Okay. Thank you.
>>
>>51523353
I'M ARTIE, THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD!
>>
>>51525058
>>51524902
the only helpful responses I've gotten
>>
>>51523353
buy some used dell/hp prebuilt with a core2duo intel for like 30 bucks, stick 120gb ssd and any 2tb hdd, make sure its got at least 2gb ram.
it will literally fly and cost you less than 200$.
the dell/hp prebuilts have gone through shit and back so you know they'll work out properly. replace the CPU fan if its too loud or just give it a good dusting, sucks about the mATX case but its honestly not worth the hassle.
>>
>>51523353
Dude like any smart tv can stream content from the cloud nowadays
>>
>>51527388
bad idea, a dumb tv and a streaming stick like a chromcast works better in the long run
>>
>>51523353
If I would do this right now I'd probably go for an 4 core amd APU, just because windows itself and other apps will defenitly make some use of those 4 cores
I'd probably look for a case where I could fit in quite a big CPU cooler, and put in a low RPM fan on the biggest cpu cooler that will fit in it
and maybe a low rpm case fan for in the front
>>
pepe and pepe was a good show
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.