[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you went to JavaSchool? Then you be fail. http://www.jo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: javalogo.png (39 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
javalogo.png
39 KB, 518x518
Did you went to JavaSchool? Then you be fail.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>>
nicu Engrish desu
>>
>>51521513
Nice Java code currynigger
>>
>pointers
>recursion
>hard
is this guy retared? is he bragging about passing CS101?
>>
>Am I just one of those old-fashioned curmudgeons, like the Four Yorkshiremen, bragging about how tough I was to survive all that hard stuff?

yup.

Neither recursion nor pointers are really that hard to understand. Java is a better language than C for 90% of programs that you will write.
>>
>2015
>java
>>
>>51521721
Article is from 2005
>>
>>51521506
Very interesting article

i feel the same way with PHP
its hard to prove you're good at it

>that dropout rate
feels legit

my class started with 40, ended with 10 before i dropped out

I had kids in class literally pissed to be learning programming "why do i need to know this shit, i just want to make games and sell my ideas to bungie"

>>51521716
it's not exactly hard
just a lot harder than they expected

they hear about jobs and gates being dropouts, and assume it's easy.

They see startup culture booming, and assume its easy as shit to make 100K per annul doing virtually nothing.

but at the same time, there were kids in my class who failed an exam on strings and integers, dunno how the fuck that works, it was all true/false.
>>
I think what really separates good CS majors from the rest is the amount of math they study
>>
>>51523618
most cs majors
>hurr durr math is useless
>no need to learn any
>barely pass math exams
>muh set operations in c are so counterintuitive
>>
>>51521830
>I had kids in class literally pissed to be learning programming "why do i need to know this shit, i just want to make games and sell my ideas to bungie"

That's like 90% of people I saw going through uni at the same time as me doing Software Developent and Software Engineering degrees deciding they were going to be designers or business analysts or project managers. You'd get a group project and out of 5 or so people I'd be the only one who could actually write a program. Wasn't such a bad thing but I really wondered what the fuck some of those people were doing there.
>>
>>51521506
I don't understand why people listen to Joel Spolsky these days. He seems to have made a career out of working for Microsoft for a year on Excel back in the early 90s. Then he made a few web apps with other people and for some reason is seen as a God or some shit.

This is the guy who thought it would be a great idea to invent his own fucking programming language for his web app called Wasabi which is some weird ASP/VBScript abomination.
>>
>recursion
>pointers
>weed out students

Not true at all in my experience.
Most drop-outs in my uni dropped out because they couldn't get complexity theory.
>>
>>51523776
DUR HUR HUR
>I WRITE MOBILE APPS IN JAVA
>I AM A SOFTWARE ENGINEER xDDDDDDD
>FRONT END WEB DEVELOPMENT xDDDDDDD
>WHO NEEDS MATH ANYWAYS ? xDDDDDDDDDD
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.