[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Li-Fi has just been tested in the real world, and it's 100
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: what-is-li-fi.jpg (51 KB, 800x464) Image search: [Google]
what-is-li-fi.jpg
51 KB, 800x464
Why aren't you guys talking about this?

http://www.sciencealert.com/li-fi-tested-in-the-real-world-for-the-first-time-is-100-times-faster-than-wi-fi

The future is here, niggers.
>>
>>51514147
>doesn't work in the dark
>can't pass through walls
it's shit
>>
>>51514147
Hey Jenius, if I have line of site, why wouldn't I use a cable?
>>
>>51514238
Seconded.

Maybe it's useful for an office. Home? Not so much.
>>
>>51514238
Replace lights in office/ home with lifi lighting ... Profit?
>>
>>51514238
maybe it could use the power lines in your walls so you can set up a transmitter in the rooms where you want the best coverage?
>>
File: light.jpg (29 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
29 KB, 640x427
>>51514147
>The future is here
>>
>>51514280
>turn off lights
>no more internet

>>51514296
why not just use wifi or ethernet?
>>
>he demonstrated for the first time that by flickering the light from a single LED, he could transmit far more data than a cellular tower. Think back to that lab-based record of 224 gigabits per second - that's 18 movies of 1.5 GB each
>18 movies of 1.5 GB each

Holy fuck I'm triggered
>>
>>51514238
>> doesn't work in the dark
Use IR.

>>does not work through walls
Or well anything you can't see through. So no comfy coding under sheets.
>>
What about IR lighting? Keeps the room dark and if it's low-power enough it wouldn't create too much excess heat.
>>
>>51514335
Never said they were feature length 1080p films, though.

Maybe just short videos they were transferring?
>>
File: dir-885l.jpg (28 KB, 970x544) Image search: [Google]
dir-885l.jpg
28 KB, 970x544
Ignoring the fact how fucking crippled this would be outside the range of a smart®™ lightbulb its high transfer speeds are completely pointless.

802.11ac already delivers beyond 1,000 Mbps which no single user could possibly make use of. The average person is going to be streaming youtube or netflix which might use 30Mbps at best.

The worst part is your lel-fi router won't look as menacing as pic related.
>>
>>51514347
>Or well anything you can't see through. So no comfy coding under sheets.
they could just mix it with current technology so your device will automatically switch between the most efficient source of internet (li-fi versus wi-fi). or just have both active at the same time.
>>
>>51514335
That's almost an entire season of anime at 720p.

And guess what? Because ISPs are dicks we'll never be able to afford to saturate our wifi connections
>>
>>51514335
THANKS YIFY
>>
>>51514147
>hey guys! Electromagnetic radiation that has a much higher frequency than radio waves can carry more information!
SHOCKING
>>
>>51514369
Yeah I fail to see how this work work, I mean if you had an office setting where many people in a lit room are uploading large data sets constantly it would have a use, but in that case it would be easier and cheaper to just have wired connections.

What sort of range does it get? Maybe it could work in large well lit places like sports stadiums, concerts etc.
>>
>>51514369
I know this is b8 but you can at least try harder. The real issue is that wifi speeds are already faster than 99% of internet speeds.

You can easily saturate a gigabit on a home network. I do it daily.
>>
File: atomic-bomb.jpg (16 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
atomic-bomb.jpg
16 KB, 400x300
>>51514404
So gamma rays give you the most bandwidth?

Guys, I think we've figured out how to provide free, fast internet to the third world.
>>
>>51514147
Can you have multiple connections with this?
How does it work if you have two computers in the same room?
>>
Sounds cool but I have a crazy idea. What if we'd send the light through some kind of optical medium like fiber?
You could literally go AROUND corners.
>>
>>51514441
Yeah. Except we can't modulate or decode gamma rays. Who knows maybe all those gamma ray bursts we see are really ayy lmaos trying to communicate with us.
>>
>>51514531
>wires
Somebody tell this anon what year it is.
>>
>>51514362

GB =! Gb
>>
>>51514437.
>You can easily saturate a gigabit on a home network. I do it daily.
What in the name of fuck do you download that saturates a 1 gbps connection? Also 802.11 ac can go up to 2.6 gbps if you used 3 streams. Would you be able to saturate that as well?
>>
>>51514147
This is dumb.
>>
>>51514544
I think he's meaning fiber optics, friend :^)
>>
>>51514575
>home network
>What in the name of fuck do you download
Idiot
>>
>>51514602
>fiber
>for a home network
If you needed it you'd have it. Most people don't want to plug their laptops into the network when they get home.
>>
>>51514147
Who gives a flying fuck? AC3200 is already fast enough while also being practical.

Fucking no walls, what retarded shit. Let's all just live in little shacks
>>
>>51514441
I love it.
>>
>>51514308
Does it have to be visible spectrum light? It didn't specify. Could be IR or the like, in which case, "turning off the lights" could just disable the visible spectrum, leaving li-fi untouched.
>>
>>51514533
>maybe all those gamma ray bursts we see are really ayy lmaos trying to communicate with us.
My sides
>>
>>51514693
Wouldn't that just be wifi?
>>
>>51514803
Wi fi uses radio waves, not IR.
>>
>>51514803
Radio isn't the only EMR that isn't visible.
>>
If it uses a light bulb for network to device, how does it get device to network?
Upload over plain wifi?
>>
>>51514147
>224 gigabits per second
Now, I post on /k/ so I wouldn't normally say this, but do you really need that kind of bandwidth? Are people actually maxing out their 802.11AC wireless connections?
>>
>>51515618
>network all light fixtures
>superfast internet in every room
>neighbor can't jack it unless they point a flashlight at your window
>>
>>51515758
>use ethernet
>superfast internet in every room
>neighbor can't jack it unless they break into your house
>>
>>51514238
It works in the dark. The lights can be so dim they are off but data still travels.
You have lights all over your house anyway so the range is better than any wireless.

You're literally retarded.
>>
>>51515771
can't take a shit on eth0, senpai
>>
>>51515785
Yeah, but my lights aren't hooked up to the fucking internet nor will they ever be.
>>
>>51515726
It'll be good for streaming 5k youtube videos in a few years...
>>
>>51515790
>not running CAT5e everywhere in your house, including the bathroom
Seriously, just have the cables hanging from the ceiling so you can plug in where ever you happen to be at the time.

>>51515810
This, imagine hacking into someone's lights and making them flicker just to give the person constant headaches.
>>
>someone puts a piece of paper over your computer
>internet goes out
>>
IR sucked. This will too. This isn't going to set the world on fire, unless it does so literally.
>>
>>51514147
Except you need a light sensor added to every machine, in a place that's not blocked by your desk or a stack of papers. Also doesn't get interference from the computer screen.
>>
>>51516120
Dome on top of the monitor, my worry would be dedicating 2 PCIe x16 buses for the damn thing.
>>
>>51514441
Made me lol
>>
>>51515969
>someone walks past your computer
>download failed
>>
>light
Enjoy your TEMPEST, faggots.
>>51514251
Even if you didn't have line of sight you'd be using fiber optics.
>>
>>51515771
>Plugging your cell phones and tablets into a retractable Ethernet cord.
>Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>51514147
>tfw the time traveller was right
Just wait until 2019, shit is gonna get real
>>
>>51514441
This.Lets all make a startup to compete Google Fiber.
>>
>>51514238
Have they said it works only in the visible spectrum?
>>
>blasting infrared light around your room from expensive light bulbs

i don't foresee any problems occurring with this idea
>>
It's nothing more than hype, wi-fi is here to stay. It will probably be used in RF sensitive areas though, like oil rigs and hospitals.
>>
Literally who cares? The internet in America isn't shit because we don't have the tech. It's because we don't want to spend the money.
This does nothing for home users even most power users.
>>
>>51514238
Why the fuck would you want your internet to go through your walls? This way no one can possibly get on it and steal personal information unless they're inside your house.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.