[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people bash on Ubuntu?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: cof_orange_hex_400x400.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cof_orange_hex_400x400.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>
Because it's the only desktop Linux distribution that actually works. If it just works, then there's no need to fiddle with it for hours just to get it to work. And since there's no reason to do that, then it's useless since all people ever do on Linux is trying to get it to work.
>>
>>51512641
>That actually works.
Hold on *Insert need program and repository here and break on update*
>>
Amazon spyware, shitty DE, bloated
>>
I don't like APT too much, but Trisquel is pretty nice.

And fuck setting up Arch. I want ful ldisk encryption with LVM and LUKS to be simple.
>>
amazon malware
>>
>>51512660
All of my this
>>
Install Xubuntu
>>
Elitist neckbeards hate it because it's easy to use. They just want to brag and justify spending 3 hours on the terminal just to so simple shit because it makes them look like "leet anoymoose haxorz"
>>
>>51512599

They suffer from the Not Invented Here (NIH) syndrome - which is fine if you're angling for the Apple market, but they aren't there (yet) - which doesn't sit well in the FOSS crowd.
>>
>>51512599
the "ubuntu family" is ok, it's just that fucking amazon/unity version that ruined everything.

Kubuntu and Lubuntu are fine
>>
I used Ubuntu back when I learned C, and later C++.
Then one day, I ran an update. The update downloaded and began installing. That was the last time I ever saw Ubuntu running. After successfully updating, Ubuntu was kill.
I ask you: why would I do this to myself ever again?
>>
>>51512599
It suffers from a similar disease as Java; corporatization.
Ubuntu used to be the bee's knees and cutting edge in support.
It still BTFOs everything else at support, but royally fucks up in every other way.
>>
The community is pretty terrible.
By making an OS even an idiot could use, they got a load of idiot users who give bad advice to each other. Their advice pollutes google, making it impossible to find good amongst all the shit.
>>
Vocal neckbreads can't stand a just werks distro, they want Linux to be a time sink.
>>
>>51513302
Yes, especially the official forums, community is shit and the forums themselves are really badly structured and dated as fuck.

Canonical should do something about it, it's the first stop for new users and it gives them a bad image when over half the threads have outdated/wrong info and broken links.
>>
>>51512599
Why do people bash on any distro when ZSH is superior and available everywhere?
>>
>>51512769
>I used an OS for a long time and then an update broke it this one time so I stopped using it forever

I guess you don't use OSes anymore, then.
>>
>>51512669
everyone bashes on ubuntu for being bloated (which is a valid argument in my opinion) and too windows-like, but this is the real reason why people hate ubuntu more than other similar distros like mint
>>
>>51512599
Unity is very smooth and looks good with just an icon pack

privacy is a couple radio buttons in a friendly gui away

I'm using it on an X201 tablet and it's smooth everywhere with no screen tears
>>
People who bash Ubuntu are just idiots. They fail to see the bigger picture.

>"Hey there's an alternative, should I install it?"
>"-Yeah if you're a beginner go for Ubuntu since it's easy and user friendly"
>"-WHAT no don't go Ubuntu!!!! They aren't as good as Gentoo and don't fully respect your freedom!! You need to start by reading these manuals and come with me to the next Stallman talk!! Viva la neckbeard!!"

It's better that people switch to Ubuntu from Windows so they get an easy start and Linux gets more users, which in turn means that software developers need to start taking Linux seriously. Who fucking cares if they don't get a full FSF approved experience, they didn't have that in Windows either. When they get comfortable with Ubuntu they can later focus on free software if they feel the need to.
>>
>>51512599
That shitty amazon app.

That's basically the only objective reason.
>>
>>51513684
Hipsters love psuedo-reasons like amazon spyware and the default DE it ships with because you don't have to believe it but still can pretend to in order to "hate" ubuntu.

Timesink spergs wlll defend spending WEEKS if not MONTHS setting up their obscure window manager, but one apt-get command to take out the amazon package is too much. Not to mention that it only works in unity, but at that point you can as well just say "muh botnet" which means they don't really have anything else to say and insist it's deeper than you think. same people would regurgitate the dumb idea that the nsa has root if you use selinux.

The double logic for linux users when it comes towards one of their own distros is something you generally only see elsewhere when the mac topic comes up.
>linux is about choice!
>You can even choose your entire DE!
>with one command!
>Take that, windowsfags!
>UBUNTU SHIPS WITH THIS EVIL THING CALLED "UNITY" AND YOU CAN'T REMOVE IT...

Ubuntu also has a minimal version which you'd assume would be made for these people, but it almost has no point in existing since they wouldn't use it anyway because it's ubuntu.

The edgy collegefag mentality gets really old and useless when your time becomes worth any form of money and losing or keeping a client hangs on your ability to get something done quickly.
>>
>muh optional Amazon search
>>
It's simple.
You see all those desktop threads? These autists spend DAYS ricing their desktop to "perfection" (aka no font smoothing, tiling only, everything but firefox running out of terminal, and a shitty waifu wallpaper).
Then they see Ubuntu users happy after spending all of 10 minutes changing the wallpaper and installing the packages they need.
>muh unity
This is only valid if your computer is super slow, but it's not like they could even use KDE to begin with yet they don't bash it.
>muh amazon spyshit
>how do i apt-get remove guiz?
>not FSF approved
yet they use a non-free distro
>anything that is fast to setup must be shit xDDdDD
Certainly is easy to justify that after you spend countless hours only to see one package update breaking your shit because of how riced out everything is.
>>
>>51514209
This. It's like the time version of the sunk cost fallacy in economics.

>I spent weeks setting mine up
>ubuntu user: just finished guys! that only took 10 minutes. linux is so cool!
>...MINE'S 4% FASTER!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>51514260
dont forget the people who dont even do a stage 3 install of gentoo, and compile every single update themselves, including X.
>guyz my 300 compile time flags caused portage to break everything when i forgot to manually compile my updates by mistake. what went wrong?
>>
>>51512599
Unity

Debian + Cinnamon Master Race
>>
>>51514314
>the way the distro comes is why I hate it
>I use this other distro, after of course installing some other DE

I'm not going to stick around and point out every instance of it in this thread, but do you see anything at all wrong with this particular piece of logic?
>>
>>51512599
Canonical is a pretty shitty company
apt is a shitty package manager
the community isn't that great as >>51513302 said

that being said, I generally recommend Xubuntu to beginners. I use arch for the sole reason that the 15 minutes that I spend to install it are saved in the time not spend compiling packages that I could install from the AUR, and not spent tearing down the default enviromnent and replacing it with my own.

>>51512689
>>51513533
>>51513765
>>51514057
>>51514209
are dripping with insecurity. If you don't want to spend time configuring your computer, thats fine, but don't ridicule others on a technology board for wanting to
>>
>>51514379
lol its not insecurity its just casual shitposting and observing the motivations behind people.
i previously used fedora, currently trying out suse. i could care less about preferences, i just dislike bashing for no reason.
>>
people are under the impression that gnu/linux is only for hardcore and dedicated users, while distros like ubuntu are made with newcomers and inexperianced users in mind. To the rest of the community, it appears that the people using these distros have no real reason to be using them over windows other than the fact that it's 'obscure' and 'different,' bringing them to the conclusion that the people who use them dont have any intention to actually learn about the system, and just want to use it for the sake of using it. This is true for all windows-like distros, but ubuntu gets most of the blame for being the most well-known
>>
>>51514379
There's no insecurity. I use Arch myself and I wouldn't force it on my grandmother. People who switch from Windows shouldn't have to use Arch or Gentoo or Linux From Scratch. That's what the Ubuntu is there for. People should not be taking lectures on free software thinking if all they want is to get rid of Windows. The FSF crap can come later.

>If you don't want to spend time configuring your computer, thats fine,
I suggest you read things again. I was talking about noobs moving from Windows and other people guiding them wrong. Stop trying to be a psychologist saying there's insecurity there.
>>
>>51514379
I didn't say one distro was better than the other. What I said was that saying that ubuntu sucks because it has unity, but not even sticking with the default DE of your other favourite distro, is dumb.

Debian comes with XFCE now by default, doesn't it? Let's say hating XFCE was a meme. That would be like saying debian is totally to be avoided and is total shit because it comes with XFCE.

Top gear did this all the time with optional extras.
>But it's an optional extra on this car
>Yes, but it's an option that's been selected.
>...but it's optional.
>...and it has been selected.
>...but there are models of this car without it.
>...and those models are not here.
>>
>>51514564
>People who switch from Windows shouldn't have to use Arch or Gentoo or Linux From Scratch.
I agree, I recommend Xubuntu to beginners

>Stop trying to be a psychologist saying there's insecurity there.
I was trying to convey as much contempt as possible for the sort of people who ridicule others for their interest in technology on a technology board

>>51514620
I'm not saying ubuntu is shit because it uses unity, I'm saying its altogether bad because canonical is a bad company and apt is a bad package manager, and the community sucks
>>
>>51514334
>51514334
>>51514334
>Get to use the distro that was forked by Canonical and leverage autistm
>Get the joint support of the Ubuntu community and the server admin community
>Get to use the desktop environment of choosing
>Debian offers Cinnamon out of the box
This criticism as weak as the thesis of this thread.
>>
>>51514646
>I was trying to convey as much contempt as possible for the sort of people who ridicule others for their interest in technology on a technology board
You are still not grasping this. I didn't ridicule people for being interested in technology, that was all in your own head. There's a big difference in being interested in something and pushing your beliefs to others. I was talking about people pushing their beliefs to noobs even when that's unreasonable. They shouldn't be taught that before ever even trying Linux in the first place. Just leave them alone and let them try Ubuntu which is just fine.

I suggest you read >>51513765 once more, but slower.
>>
>>51512599
NIH syndrome
>Unity
>Snappy
>Mir
>Upstart
>Shuttlecock is a fucking nigger
>Amazon botnet
>>
>>51512641
what is, Linux mint
>>
>>51512665
What are you using?
>>
>>51512599
because they can't Perl.
>>
I think it's ugly

Mint, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu are miles better

Even elementary os and zorin os are better
>>
>>51515267
I'm using Trisquel
>>
>>51515240
>what is, Linux mint
Linux mint is ubuntu, you retard

>>51512660
>>51512669
you know you can remove that shit easily
also, you could use k/l/x/...ubuntu, they are all basically the same shit
>>
>>51512599
>Why do people bash on Ubuntu?

Cause it beats having to type sudo every time
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.