[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it feasible to have one computer tower drive 30 monitors??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 61TIM1E3PnL._SX425_[1].jpg (19 KB, 425x318) Image search: [Google]
61TIM1E3PnL._SX425_[1].jpg
19 KB, 425x318
is it feasible to have one computer tower drive 30 monitors??
>>
>>51494386
they have USB monitors, and i think you can daisy chain some 127 USB devices.
>>
If you don't mind house fires then why the hell not?
>>
>>51494386
Probably not. There are graphic cards which are designed for Enterprise applications that can drive 6-8. You could also get USB to DP adapters, but you'd be limited to either low res, low color, low refresh rate, or high latency.

Best bet, buy 30 $20 shitty PCs from craigslist or something.
>>
>>51494464
do you mind if i quote you on that? "30 bad computers is better than one great one"?
>>
>>51494386
Related: What do they use to drive those giant video walls?
>>
Sure is, if you've got the money.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/display_wall/
>>
>>51494502
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/releases/2013/digital_signage/video_wall_controller_boards/playnetwork/
>>
>>51494464
okay, if thats the case, why even have multi monitors at all?

when i say that im not referring to the concept of "multiple monitors" but rather the concept of one gpu driving several monitors.

surely it makes more sense to have one computer: one monitor for the ultimate experience?

so since we've cleared that matter up, here is my next hypothetical.

so i'll screw my computer tower to the back of a monitor, several times over.... for the ultimate "multiple monitor" setup? capable of 4k x 30 gaming and multimedia?
>>
>>51494539
>okay, if thats the case, why even have multi monitors at all?
>when i say that im not referring to the concept of "multiple monitors" but rather the concept of one gpu driving several monitors.

more workspace

>surely it makes more sense to have one computer: one monitor for the ultimate experience?

depends on what you are doing

>so i'll screw my computer tower to the back of a monitor, several times over.... for the ultimate "multiple monitor" setup? capable of 4k x 30 gaming and multimedia?

stop doing drugs
>>
>>51494428
that is true, however, that probably is only feasible for text... maybe non-hd video, even on a usb 3.0 connection/

which would be fine for some of the monitors in such a setup, still it is not ideal.
>>
>>51494539
>surely it makes more sense to have one computer: one monitor for the ultimate experience?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish for your setup? Separate independent workstations? Then yeah using separate computers will give the best experience. If you're looking for more space to stick your windows, multiple monitors attached to the same machine will work out better.
>>
>>51494494
It's about cost to performance ratios, anon. If all you're doing is displaying animu or 9memes then yes, a Celeron and 512 MB of ram is enough.
True, you do have increased overhead from running so many machines, but at the same time computers get exponentially more expensive, and finding a graphics card that can support so many outputs would be very expensive.

>>51494539
>okay, if thats the case, why even have multi monitors at all?
I honestly have no idea where you got any of your post from. I never said multiple monitors are a bad thing, I use 3, but that it would be difficult to have one PC driving 30 monitors as per the OP.
>>
>>51494622
i just want an insanely cool multi monitor setup, similar to the anime "kamisamis notepad" haha.

i want to have so many monitors.... that i will not have to turn on my rooms light and simply bathe in the LEDs backlights blue glow...
>>
>>51494708
> but that it would be difficult to have one PC driving 30 monitors as per the OP.
actually, 30 should still be easily doable (afaikt there are boards with 6 pcie slots and newer nvidia gpus can drive 5 monitors)
>>
>>51494708
okay, so here is my idea:

i'll have one main computer, top of the line, driving 3 monitors in a wide pov setup. this will be my all purpose computer.

then i'll have a second main computer, even more top of the line, driving a huge 70 inch television screen with several sli graphics cards (epic, huh?... as you may have guessed: "this will be my gaming/movie computer"

moving on, i will have a a few "web browsing" computers ... these will be used, probably from craigslist... nothing spectaluar. of course, this will function in a 1:1 ratio with their monitors. so i will probably have 10 of this genre of computer.

and then ill even have more raspberry pis for merely text based web browsing... totalling 30 monitors.
finally.... and this is where it gets epic, i will use the program "synergy" to connect them all together.

cool huh?
>>
>>51494712
i'm running 4 monitors atm and will get another 2 next year. would have to buy another gt730 but whatever. but i'm actually working on only 2 monitors at a time and use the others to display reference material/api references or debug outputs
>>
>>51494712
Hmm, is this possible with eyefinity and multiple GPUs?
>>
>>51494809
are you:
a) retarded
b) 12
c) on drugs
d) trolling
?
>>
>>51494848
no i merely am looking forward to that bright, backlight colored future .. -_0
>>
File: _elf_intensifies_.gif (1021 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
_elf_intensifies_.gif
1021 KB, 400x400
So what do you think would be the feasible limit to what one tower could do if money wasn't a factor? How many 4k monitors could be ran at once on a high demand game?
>>
>>51494882
The world would not be worth living in if not for people like you. Please go through with this.
>>
If you actually go through with that crazy setup, be sure to post pics.
>>
>>51494992
>How many 4k monitors could be ran at once on a high demand game?
Either three or possibly five, in surround (Nvidia) or crossfire (AMD). The dozen-output cards are nowhere near powerful enough to run any modern game, and 99.9% of games don't natively support multiple monitors to begin with - surround vision and eyefinity's reason for being is to take multiple monitors and show them to the game as a single screen that they can understand. I believe there are a few flight simulators that are exceptions to this.

In any case, a modern high-demand game could easily bring four Titans to their knees, if you're in 4k surround.
>>
>>51494992
>How many 4k monitors could be ran at once on a high demand game?
that part is actually limited by the game itself.

but, i think the maximum of 4k monitors you can drive with one board is ~40 if you don't run anything gpu demanding.

i don't think you can currently run a high demanding game on more than 1 4k monitor, but i'm not a amer, so i'm not sure
>>
>>51494830
Don't know about nVidia, but Crossfire doesn't increase the max number of outputs, just processing power.

>>51494992
>>51495454
The main issue is video memory not processing power, you have to have somewhere to put all those pixels (video buffer) and this would range in the 100s of GB for 30+ 4k monitors.

Also, physically connecting the monitors is an issue, not only do most commercial cards typically have 6 ports, but the window drivers in them are only designed to output to this many.
>>
>>51495626
thats not true, in windows 10 they've unlocked the limit.

like >>51494428 said, i've seen people on youtube running 10 usb monitors.
>>
>>51495626
>Also, physically connecting the monitors is an issue, not only do most commercial cards typically have 6 ports, but the window drivers in them are only designed to output to this many.
matrox gpus do, and their drivers do too. windows is shit though(lookup nvidia openmosaic limitation)

>The main issue is video memory not processing power, you have to have somewhere to put all those pixels (video buffer) and this would range in the 100s of GB for 30+ 4k monitors.
not an issue, ever gpu has it's own vram, you don't need to share it with some hit like sli
>>
>>51495626
Yeah. Crossfire and SLI are for putting more processing power behind the one display. Can you run them without that and have them drive separate displays, each set with just that one GPU's processing available to it?
>>
>>51495707
>Can you run them without that and have them drive separate displays, each set with just that one GPU's processing available to it?
yeah. thats what i do.
>>
>>51495707
Crossfire and SLI both worth with eyefinity and surround vision, respectively. The principle is the same, the cards team up to throw more power at the game, it's just that that game is now running at a much higher resolution that the driver spreads across three screens.

Both AMD and Nvidia can also just do two non-SLI/xfire cards in a system driving a ton of screens. But then any game you run will use at most one of those screens.
>>
>>51494386
yes - you'll need 29x nasty usb graphics cards and a lot of usb hubs. as a bonus, you could use the multipoint role on windows server, along with 30 keyboards and 30 mice, to let 30 people all have their own independent sessions too.
>>
>>51494428
>daisychaining USB

Can you do it ? USB is a host/client interface. I don't think it would workd.
>>
>>51494882
Just an FYI, you don't need 30 monitors to accomplish this.

If you want to burn your eyes out, just get 3 U2312HM's and run them at 100% brightness, it'll be more than enough to light up your room and allow you to turn all those pesky lamps off.
>>
>>51495817
He means daisychaining hubs. If you get 5 4-port hubs and plug 4 of them into the remaining hub, which plugs into the computer, you get an optimal 16 port setup. Get 16 more 4-port hubs and you'll have 64 ports, with none of them more than 3 hubs from the computer.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.