[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are CD-ROMS an added bonus and not actual neccesary in todays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: weeb.jpg (11 KB, 233x216) Image search: [Google]
weeb.jpg
11 KB, 233x216
Are CD-ROMS an added bonus and not actual neccesary in todays society?

When picking parts for my friends computer I told him that CD-ROMS were pointless since we nowadays use USB or EXHDD most of the times.

We started arguing for a bit about the issues and decided to drop it. What do you guys think, was I right for telling him that it's pointless to add a CD-ROM into the budget nowadays with torrents,usbs,and exhdd?
>>
>>51491005
CD-ROMs are dirt cheap nowadays and you never know when you'll need one
>>
Yes.
>>
>>51491005
>>51491029

he has a point, they can be useful from time to time, but i havent acctualy used one (other than possibly three or so times) in the past two years. it depends on the user. they are cheap enough you might as well
>>
>floppies are useless, you CDs
>CDs are useless, use HDDS/USB sticks
>HDDs are useless, use teh cloud
>>
I don't know but I don't pay for games that don't come on physical media.
>>
>>51491110
this will happen at some point
want new drivers? show ID and matching photo sent from your mobile
>>
Physical media gives me the illusion that I am buying a product instead of a service or license to operate, and that comforts me.
>>
>>51491135
You could also just buy drm free exclusively
>>
CD-drives are a waste of money.
>>
I took my DVD rom drive out of my machine when I upgraded it because I was tired of it spinning up on startup, and I rarely use it. I bought a usb DVD drive for 15 quid and it works great, even to boot from, and sits in a drawer when it's not being used. I do not miss it one bit and I haven't used the usb drive for about two or three months.
>>
I bought an LG bluray reader for $35. I rip and encode a lot of bluray movies so I use mine all the time. Was thinking of buying a drive that can wrote too. Make a bluray backup of all my stuff.
>>
>>51492900
What programs do you use to rip off blu-ray movies? Any recommendation on program to write also? Was thinking of doing just this but I don't know if I'll have to use some paid programs or if there are freeware I can use.
>>
>>51493071
I use MakeMKV to rip from. It is freeware. 30 day trial, then lets you continue using it for maybe another month or so during which you get a warning every time you go to use it.

Then you pay for it. $50. Devs started acxepting PayPal to get a copy so I didnt mind buying it

There are copies available if you wish to find a "borrowed" copy from torrents. I then use handbrake to encode as whatever file type you wish. I keep it as .mkv even after encoding. It nust shrinks a eaw bluray rip from 55gb to around 11gb.
As for write, i dont know. Will have to hunt around.
>>
>>51491160
Nice b8, except I can still buy floppies and CDs without showing my ID so I can only give you 3/10.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.