[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NVMe vs Physx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: NVMe vs Physx.png (23 KB, 726x303) Image search: [Google]
NVMe vs Physx.png
23 KB, 726x303
So this Black Friday I plan to build a new rig. I've got most of the parts selected and ironed out. But I've been caught on a fairly nagging question. Should I go M.2 NVMe drive or dedicated Physx card?

Planning on going with the Sabertooth X99 mobo, i7 5930k (40 PCIe lanes) and SLI GTX 980 ti. If I go M.2 then the final PCIe lane will be disabled and I won't be able to have a dedicated Physx card. But if I go Physx then I won't be able to take advantage of NVMe drives. Also the SFF-8639 M.2 adapter doesn't work if you have dual cards. That's right 2015 graphics cards still block hard drive ports, good job ASUS.

If I do go NVMe then it'll have to be with an M.2 x4 drive and not a PCIe drive. Don't want to block the GPU intake. Mind you the only reason I want to have a dedicated Physx card is because I don't want to completely retire my EVGA GTX 570 classified. Its served me well over the years, and it be a shame to put it into storage. However I cannot deny the performance numbers of NVMe SSD. Mind you I don't plan on putting the OS on the SSD but only for programs and games. I plan to use a WD Velociraptor drive for the OS.

However if I have to I can wait for SATA Express drives to come to the marketplace and go that route with the Physx card. As I understand the mobo uses the PCIe 2.0 lanes from the X99 chipset in order to give SATA Express its necessary bandwidth, so using a SATA Express drive won't disable the last PCIe x16 slot because it doesn't share PCIe lanes with the CPU. However SATA Express < NVMe and as 1 of the first mobo's to support NVMe out of the gate I'm not sure if I want to skip out on the performance gains.
>>
For reference: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/6MJKwP
>ignore the choice of RAM if I go NVMe I'll go with 32gb DDR4-3000 or something if not hoping RAM disk will supplant the lost in SSD
>also if your wondering about the 1600w PSU it depends on the OC, Physx card, possible blu-ray drive, a new OS hardrive, the 3 hard drives I'm planning to migrate from old PC the 2 new hard drives in RAID 1 and future 2 hard drives that'll also be in RAID 1.
>Yes the game I'm mainly playing now uses Physx
>>
I thought physx cards died and parts were in all modern nvidia cards.
>>
>>51480306
That's what I want to use my gtx 570 for.
>>
>>51480334
Then you don't need it with two 980 ti
>>
Dude what, physx cards are obsolete, nvidia bought the company and the cards do the calculations now. Just get a m.2 drive and stop buying depreciated technology.
>>
>>51480357
>>51480351
I'm not buying anything, I'm trying to keep something from depreciating. I bought the GTX570 brand new back 2010-11. I don't want to let her go. Also I don't understand SATA Express well enough but if I can I'd like to go both ways SATA Express and Physx. But I'm not sure if its worth it.
>>
>>51480253
GPU/PPU accelerated physx is pretty much dead m8.
>>
>>51480429
Just drop the card, waste of space/heat/electricity. If I remember correctly nvidia "optimized" their drivers and disabled support of having a dedicated phyx card anyway because they did not want amd fags paring with nvidia cards.
>>
All of UE4's physics is done on the CPU not the GPU. I assume (but clearly could be wrong) that other engines are mostly like this too.
>>
>>51480514
Nope, you can pick the card you want to use for PhysX still.
>>
>>51480467
But what would you do if you upgraded your rig and had old parts lying around? Do you just put it in storage forever or do you try and incorporate it into the next rig?

>also I've never sold anything before, so it must be hard

>>51480514
Luckily it is a nvidia card and they do support this action. With 1600w power is not a concern. But really what I'm asking is how does SATA Express stack against NVMe drives? Can I have the best of both worlds?

>>51480564
Not if its using Physx. In the nvidia control panel you can set which GPU is responsible for Physx or set it to your cpu.

If you upgrade your girlfriend, will she be the same if you use less and less of the same parts overtime?
>>
>>51480613
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

I just did this with my old card.
>>
>>51480625
>linux
That'd be nice if I was invested into linux, but windows is all I know. Don't like the direction Microsoft is heading but it is the easiest to contend with.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.