[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Local Desktop Virtualization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: vmware-logo.jpg (9 KB, 602x230) Image search: [Google]
vmware-logo.jpg
9 KB, 602x230
Hey /g/, is there any free virtualization system that allows PCI-E passthrough for GPUs, nested VMs, and offers administration on the same computer?

I've checked out Server 2012 with Hyper-V, that doesn't allow PCI passthrough, and vSphere doesn't offer local administration. The only system that does what I'd like would be unRAID, and that isn't free.

If I used unRAID would have to run a vSphere VM and another VM under unRAID and pass the GPUs through to ESXi to pass through to ESXi's VMs, and give the second VM just enough resources to run the management client and connect to ESXi's VMs.

It's a bit complicated.

Is there a virtualization system that can meet my requirements? I'd rather not just run VMs on a normal desktop OS install, that's no fun.
>>
>>51474442
The answer to your question is pretty much 'no'.

Not sure about others, but I know Hyper-V allows for up to 2GB of VRAM to be dedicated to a VM.

I've looked into this a lot, because i wanted to virtualize my gaming PC so I could rely on my server cabinet instead of my desktop. It's simply not supported yet.
>>
>>51474678
Thanks, are there any other VM systems that I could at least look at? I've only looked into Hyper-V, vSphere, unRAID, and Openstack, I don't know if there are any ones I might be missing that might work
>>
Best option you'd have is proxmox probably
only thing it really lacks is a gui for administration on the system itself (gui configuration is done by a webapp)
>>
>>51474442
There's Xen which does PCIe passthrough, gives one of the domains privileges to manage the system, not sure about nesting though.

But what do you really mean by "local administration"? What's stopping you from just running the ESXi management client (or the shitty web one) on the VM that you passed the GPU to?
>>
>>51474842
I'd like to run the virtual machines on the same computer as I'm sitting at and using
>>
>>51474881
So what makes ESXi not fit that description?
>>
>>51474893
I can't use the VMs on the same computer that ESXi's on, unless there's a version I don't know of
>>
>>51474442
This >>51474842
Or... dare I say, Qubes OS.
>>
>>51474938
"Use" as in see the screen and interact with them?
You'd just pass the GPU (and probably a USB controller) to one of the VMs and use it as if it were running natively.
>>
>>51474969
Yes, and I hadn't thought of that...thank you!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.