[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Setting up windows for idiots?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: 1447960407170.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447960407170.jpg
150 KB, 1280x720
Retarded family members and setting up windows.

So, I come to ask, how to setup windows to make it stupid 18 year old female proof?

Inb4: Mac or install linux. No, just no. She's tech illiterate and is the stereotypical 'I didn't do that' user.

Inb4 just locking the fuck out of everything.

Pic hilarious but unrelated
>>
>>51472159
OS X is idiot proof.
>>
>>51472159
Adblock. Install some form of adblocker, and she won't be able to download 98% of her malware.
>>
>>51472159
Linux Mint. She won't know a difference. To make her even more oblivious put a Windows logo picture on the start menu button. Then laugh and laugh erry day.
>>
>>51472159

> Install Adblocker
> Install Chrome and remove all IE launch shortcuts
> Create non-admin account for girl

There you go.
>>
Ad block, limited user account

if all else fails, do something like deepfreeze where the system boots into a previously saved state and anything done gets erased
>>
>>51472159
Windows is too prone to viruses to be idiot-proofed

Install Ubuntu, as long as she only uses it for web browsing she'll be fine.
>>
>>51472159
>inb4 just locking the fuck out of everything
but this is your only option
>>
don't forget to install some teamviewer so you can fuck her shit from your home
>>
>>51472159
>install chrome
>install ublock origin
>install all the other good chrome extensions
>make sure you hide them from the toolbar so she doesn't accidentally click on them
>download and set up avast for her

I mean, I think that's it. Windows is pretty easy to use for tech illiterates anyway, so I'm not sure how much more you could even do.
>>
>>51472187
I know that, she does want a macbook in the future, I'm like .... 1800 netflix / facebook / microsoft word machine. Nooooooopppeeee.jpg

>>51472194
Planning to just leave chrome and delete IE from the computer.

>>51472218
Don't want to go linux, muh drivers and shit.

>>51472222
Kinda what I'm thinking. But, is there any way to give a limited admin account where she can install some programs and not tard it up?

(I'm used to just running admin accounts, because i'm not a tard, neither is dad).

>>51472223
Tell me more about deepfreeze and similar backups.
I'm thinking of using windows to make a restore point at the fresh install.

>>51472226
It's more the lack of common sense then anything.

>>51472234
sadly it seems to be the case.

>>51472258
Genius, didn't even think of this.

>>51472267
>I mean, I think that's it. Windows is pretty easy to use for tech illiterates anyway, so I'm not sure how much more you could even do.

She's retard and refuses to learn. Infuriating it is.
>>
What chrome extensions are good?

Also, how can I make spotify not be dildos? Everytime it auto starts, it fucking spams 6 programs. What the actual fuck?

Sorry, I'm not used to setting up PCs for tards. I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>51472280
>She's retard and refuses to learn. Infuriating it is.
what does she need to learn though? I mean Windows is only complicated the more you know about technology and the more you try to tweak and mod it. If you don't know anything to begin with then there's not much that will confuse you.
>>
>>51472280
>Tell me more about deepfreeze and similar backups.
Deep freeze works by making a base line, then it "freezes" the system
After that point every change made (literally anything) gets discarded once you turn it off, because when it boots up again, it boots it from that image

But there is an option to boot it "thawed" so you can make changes

You can also select a drive or a partition to act as the "thaw space" that doesn't get rolled back after a reboot
>>
Anon, you better be getting some sweet pussy in return
>>
>>51472305
>uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere

>Also, how can I make spotify not be dildos?
Use the website?

Also, install Unchecky, it unchecks shitware that's bundled in with installers
>>
>>51472280
>But, is there any way to give a limited admin account where she can install some programs and not tard it up?

She can still install stuff like Chrome that only installs to %appdata% rather than a system-owned folder.

That said, what the fuck, no, don't allow her to ever install anything. She can just fucking learn to live on the web if she's so incompetent.

Seriously, make up your mind. Do you want to do life-long IT, or do you want to lock her down because she's a risk to herself?
>>
How retarded is she? How is she 18 years old and doesn't know how to use the basic functions of a pc herself?
>>
>>51472159
>Install Linux Mint
>Make it look exactly like windows
I did it on my uncle's laptop, it's been 2 years and he still doesn't know he's running linux.
>>
File: Screenshot4.png (614 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot4.png
614 KB, 1366x768
Install Zorin OS, Linux distro made specifically to look like Windows
>>
>>51472492
>exactly like windows

that's not really exact
>>
>>51472492
how is this any better than installing windows? Linux isn't really harder to use, but it takes some time learning all the functions.
>>
File: FnVyqEuBX7.jpg (181 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FnVyqEuBX7.jpg
181 KB, 1024x768
>>51472525
true, but it's the closest

>>51472534
You can't gunk linux up with adware, malware, whateverware for Windows, which retards seem to be a magnet for
>>
>>51472354
>what does she need to learn though? I mean Windows is only complicated the more you know about technology and the more you try to tweak and mod it. If you don't know anything to begin with then there's not much that will confuse you.

We're talking that she downloads a program to uncheck all boxes when she installs stuff so she doesn't get toolbars out the ass.

We're talking sterotypical tard user 101.

>>51472361
How does that affect files saved to the computer, like word documents and shit.

>>51472406
Good advice. She wants the app though. Hmm, wonder if they've got a chrome app.

>>51472411
I'm trying to have ot avoid getting called for every installation ever.

>>51472448
Extremely retarded. Welcome to the modern woman and feminism. Muh lack of life skills because I don't want to learn them, muh education, muh freedoms. Different discussion though.
>>
>>51472592
>How does that affect files saved to the computer, like word documents and shit.
As long as that shit is saved to D:, it's fine

If she saves to C: tho, it's gone
>>
>>51472551
yes, but linux also lacks mainstream support from developers, so she'll have to rely on lots of alternatives that are usually more difficult to use than their windows counterparts.

Judging from what OP has stated about her technological knowledge, I doubt she'd be able to learn how to use Wine.
>>
>>51472551
Windows is necessary because 'muh autism of drivers' do not want. I'd run linux if she was less tarded.

Risks can be mitigated, but windows brings ease for me to the table. MSE, native file sharing with the majority of networks, a non gimped MS Office (why I don't want OSX)

Also, personal preference.
>>
>>51472603
98% of what normies do is browse the web
>>
>>51472592
>uncheck all boxes when she installs stuff
fuck man, there are still people like this?
What's the relationship between you two? If she's really this clueless and you see her on a regular basis I think it would be best if you just ask her what programs she needs and then install them for her.

Other than that you can tell her not to install anything on her own, and she should be fine.
>>
>>51472613
>a non gimped MS Office
Office 2010 runs pretty much perfectly under WINE IIRC
>>
>>51472603
What shitton of additional software will she need? Linux has all the major browsers, a nice alternative to Office, a shitton of great media players and you can even set up everyone's favourite IM, Skype

I'd say go with 'buntu because it's actually useable
Just say the Software Center werks like the App Store and you're good to go :D
good alternative could be Chrome OS depending on the use case
>>
>>51472615
M$ Office isn't on Linux.
Photoshop isn't on Linux.
iTunes isn't on Linux.

etc, etc. My point is, there are alternatives to all these things, but it would be easier for someone to learn how to uncheck a box when downloading something than learning how to use Linux and a whole other suite of software it supports.
>>
>>51472657
>I'd say go with 'buntu because it's actually useable
Kubuntu might be good, works a lot like Windows
>>
>>51472668
Office 2010 runs under Wine

Normies don't use Photoshop, do they?

I'll give you iTunes though, especially if she has an iPhone
>>
>>51472668
What does a normie need photoshop for?
Also, Google Docs or libreoffice are more than enough for normies
If she has an iPhone, she should be using OSX, especially if she's retarded.
>>
>>51472690
>she's too stupid to use Windows normally
>she'll be able to use Wine

I guess you're right about Photoshop, but what I feel like Wine would be too difficult for her.
>>
>>51472724
If OP sets everything up and installs office and shit it should be fine, no?
>>
>>51472736
He could do the same with Windows.
>>
>>51472601
Fuck, that kind of removes that option, as there's no ability to add a second HD to the laptop. Drats.

>>51472615
Yes, but it can also be hell on earth with drivers. Atleast, when I was trying ot dual boot my chromebook. Chucked that fucker across the room onto the bed a time or two. Heh.

>>51472621
>fuck man, there are still people like this?

Yes, they exist. They also vote.

>What's the relationship between you two?

Complex. Very argumentative because of me calling her on her shit, but we'd kill for each other.

> If she's really this clueless and you see her on a regular basis I think it would be best if you just ask her what programs she needs and then install them for her.

That's what I'm leaning towards, and giving myself a way to remote in to fix things.

>>51472657>>51472690

You're not wrong, there are great alternatives out there on linux.

But, if we use Microsoft, she doesn't need to learn new shit, she can ask people around her, and I'm not going to be the sole IT guy. Her BF can help her.

She also does have an Iphone, but I'm not entirely wanting her to go straight OSX because 'muh 2k facebook machine' but I'm also not wanting her to get locked into all their services.

She wants to go into visual design and stuff, she'll need photoshop. She might get a mac then with college, but for now, naw just naw. Trying to look out for her, because AFAIK the dual boot on mac isn't the nicest thing.
>>
>>51472788
>Fuck, that kind of removes that option, as there's no ability to add a second HD to the laptop. Drats.
What about partitioning the one that's in already?
>>
>>51472159
you guys have such an inflated ego it's hilarious

she'll have the last laugh yet when you're both in your thirties and you're a anxious paranoid hobo while she's cashing in child support left and right
>>
File: apollo is totally a fake model.jpg (2 MB, 7980x2403) Image search: [Google]
apollo is totally a fake model.jpg
2 MB, 7980x2403
>>51472801
I honestly think that's going to be too difficult for her. I'm thinking having her do backups and having a nuke it from orbit partition of the fresh install would be the best bet.

But, I'm the autist that enjoys nuking everything and starting fresh. Makes life way easier, and makes 'my computer runs slow' stupid easy to fix.

Enjoy apollo images guys. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>51472592
>Chrome app
Nope. There is a button you can add to Chromebooks to go directly to the website though.
>Fucking Chromebooks, man.
>>
>>51472900
Set up something like Acronis True Image to run daily image backups, or maybe weekly, that would make shit easier
>>
>>51472896
Spotted the feminist/white knight/retarded 18 year old feminist.

>>51472936
>Set up something like Acronis True Image to run daily image backups, or maybe weekly, that would make shit easier

Not a bad idea.

>>51472930
Hmm, drats, I was hoping chrome had an app. I love the shit out of my chromebook, aside from trying to install linux.
>>
>>51472159
Install Kubuntu, did that for my grandparents years ago and they haven't had an issue since.
>>
File: 1800 dollars.png (29 KB, 550x248) Image search: [Google]
1800 dollars.png
29 KB, 550x248
>>51472280
>I'm like .... 1800 netflix / facebook / microsoft word machine. Nooooooopppeeee.jpg
Did you even look at the prices? They start at 900 dollars, which is reasonable for a decent laptop. Cheaper laptops tend to be really crap, even when they come with a Core i7s and other "mid range" components.

Only way to get a good computer that is substantially cheaper is to get her an older thinkpad or something.
>>
>>51473020
>Spotted the feminist/white knight/retarded 18 year old feminist.
do you ever wonder if she posts half-serious group discussions on facebook where she asks her stacygirlfriends how to get her weirdo older step-brother to socialize a little and not creep out the entire family every time thanksgiving comes around?
>>
>>51473106
don't even try m8. /g/entoomen will not see reason when it comes to apple products. /g/ talking about mac is like reddit tier atheists talking about religion. do not bother
>>
>>51473334
>>51473106

Not wrong, but like I said, don't want her locked into that ecosystem, a decently configured air would run ~1500, and I'm like ..... ehhhh.

>>51473228
Kek. Whiteknights to the rescue!

She'd have to know what hobbies are, she's proven she doesn't. She couldn't answer: "What's something you're passionate about, a book you've recently read, a movie you've greatly enjoyed in the last year, and a time you solved a problem by yourself".
>>
>>51473399
> She couldn't answer: "What's something you're passionate about, a book you've recently read, a movie you've greatly enjoyed in the last year, and a time you solved a problem by yourself".
and yet she's got friends, doesn't she? problem-solve this
>>
>>51473399
>a decently configured air would run ~1500
what?
>>
>>51473399
>don't want her locked into that ecosystem
Never quite sure what people mean by this exactly. It's not like they handcuff you. If you mean the app store; you can still install programs from the web and anywhere else. If you mean the way it works really well with other iDevices (something Microshaft could and should arguably learn from); that doesn't mean she can't buy a non-apple phone, tablet, music player or whatever
>>
File: 1440023580230.gif (482 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1440023580230.gif
482 KB, 480x270
Unchecky, non-admin account and Adblock should stop 99% of malware/adware/whatever.
>>
>>51473562
I never felt locked in to any ecosystem. Got a GNU+Linux server (used as a desktop in the past), Windows 7 desktop, Mac mini, and Android phone. It all works well together. Can move files and synchronise services without any major issues.
>>
>>51473562
Hey, did you know that "Microshaft" did have that even when iPhone wasn't a thing? It's called Windows Mobile Device Center and works even now with old Windows Phone PDAs.
>>
>>51473513
Standard config for the 13" (1,200)
Going to 8gb ram (1300)
Moving to the 2.2 ghz processor (1,449)
Meh, I can upgrade the SSD myself for less moolah.

But, yeah, just me and meh.

>>51473562
It's more or less that it's easy to convert from windows to OSX but a bit more of a cunt to revert back.

Just that if you get OSX, you sorta wind up with all iDevices, that's all.

Just want to keep her options flexible in the future, is all. *shrug*

>>51473492
>failing at trolling this hard.
KEK.
You're projecting harder then Imax.

>>51473634
Good to know. Obviously I'm not too experienced with OSX
>>
>>51473653
>implying that service doesn't suck massive dick and that it is anywhere near as extensive as the sync and share capability between different iDevices
regardless of what you personally think about apple, you can't seriously actually believe what you're implying here, can you now
>>
>>51473658
>You're projecting harder then Imax.
nice rebuttal but you're sill a pathetic faggot. just have some respect for your own fucking family. feminism and the sort of autistic euphoria you're displaying are just two sides of the same problem. the solution is conservatism. if you pause and take a good look at the world and yourself, you'll come to see the light yet
>>
>>51473693
Okay, what magical functions iDevices have and app working with obsolete 10 years old technology has not?
>>
>>51472159
>>51472187
>>51472280
>>51473106
>>51473399
How about a Hackingtosh? Same fool-proof system but at no cost.
>>
You can keep pretending she won't "go" for linux, or you can install ubuntu and theme it to look like xfce. You can make it look like 2K/XP in about 5 minutes.

>hurr hurhurhr hus durr de durr words

If you still think they won't "go" for it, wait till they fuck up windows yet again beyond repair and "reformat" but then install ubuntu. Don't just do it out of the blue.

I've done this for my entire family and they still keep the laptops and don't call. In fact, half of them now when they see the windows they used to have (vista / XP), say, "wow, I would never go back to that".

Mine aren't that bad in the sense of they would fuck it up only every 6 - 8 months. I know some old people who can't last 30 seconds online without getting the same virus from the same site.

>huhurehuahruhe uh WORDS WORDS PENIS PENIS PENIS WORDS IMMA COMPUTER EXPERT... ETC ETC USABILITY

You are the master of your own computer family dynasty, destiny, shit, penis, etc. And if you want to pretend you're some "usability expert" and hurl FUD at us, then you're only hurting yourself. I'm definitely glad I did this because everything works and I don't have to play the role of the token asshole that won't help his own family.
>>
>>51473800
Also, why not just give her a fresh install of Windows and tell her it's her computer and that she'll have to take care of it herself? That's about how I learned how to into Windows. I bought my first laptop, realized it's completely mine, and then I started learning the features and everything.
>>
>>51472280
>muh drivers and shit
Oh goodness what a meme.
>>
>>51473658
she won't need 8 gigs of ram or the faster processor, but no you can't upgrade the SSD - these things are soldered shut. just get the cheapest one, if she really just needs the facebook, email, basically a browser and office, it'll do, easily.

>It's more or less that it's easy to convert from windows to OSX but a bit more of a cunt to revert back.
yeah windows is a clusterfuck
>Just want to keep her options flexible in the future, is all. *shrug*
let's just be clear that what you're doing is you're patronising her and locking her into the windows operating system. i don't give a shit that you're doing it, but don't lie to yourself now

>>51473732
>have and app working with
what? Anyways, too many to point them all out. a lot of cloud functionality, synching is easy as piss, apps run on several systems, ... then there's a myriad of small nifty things like using your phone as a touchpad for your laptop whose screen content is being streamed to your apple TV, or replying to text messages on your laptop when you're at home (once you're used to it it seems really retarded to look back to when you switched devices at home all the time), or remotely bricking all your devices from your phone (or PC, tv, laptop, tablet, whatever you have on you right now) if your ID should ever be compromised, ...

>>51473800
as someone who actually uses hackintosh i don't think that's a good idea. it can be quite stable but there's still a chance of bugginess, and it will just feel fake.

imo "just locking the fuck out of everything" is your best option if you really, really think she'll brick her PC if she's left to her own devices. otherwise this
>>51473866
or just get her a tablet
>>
Just treat her as a revenue stream OP, no matter how much preparation you do people like her always manage to fuck it up in no time.
>>
>>51473969
>let's just be clear that what you're doing is you're patronising her and locking her into the windows operating system. i don't give a shit that you're doing it, but don't lie to yourself now

She ends up killing the install with shit within a month, repeatedly. Got any other better suggestions?

The longest an install has lasted has been 3 months.
>>
>>51473063
That's because old people don't use their PC's.
>>
I just set up a laptop for my dad. Use Elementary OS. It's great for web browsing, watching movies, listening to music, creating documents, and other random stuff. Plus it looks really nice.
>>
>>51474049
>Got any other better suggestions?
i don't know what her resources are but the cheapest macbook seems like the no-brainer option for her. again, if she really just needs a facebook machine it'll be good, and the mb air is actually not that overpriced, in fact most similarly specced competition flagship will cost the same or more (windows surface anyone?).

it won't be too expensive if you just choose cheap specs, she'll love you, you'll have your piece since she'd have to try really hard to kill the OSX install
>>
>>51474337
>piece
*peace
>>
Install Lubuntu with only one firefox icon on the desktop.
>>
Install Linux mint.
>>
>>51472280
>can install some programs and not tard it up?
nope

>install programs
>not fuck it up
pick one
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.