[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Regulars to these boards might recognize me from my monthly audiotech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: audi71.jpg (235 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
audi71.jpg
235 KB, 1280x800
Regulars to these boards might recognize me from my monthly audiotech threads. I have pretty much often advocated that anyone with an hearing accurate enough to so much as be able to recognize distinct notes absolutely MUST have at least a 150-200$ dedicated soundcard (no, you shitty onboard solution is NOT acceptable, you cheap dumbass). As always I'll refrain from shilling specific brands or models, but instead give you the guidelines with which you can arm yourself while looking for your own solutions. A good output-SNR rate is essential (input not so much for the regular audiophile, unless you create your own music), with anything bellow 117db being the most absolute garbage on par with listening to music near a pride rally. Support for 7.1 surround sound is something that shouldn't even be said, but way to often I see even so-called experts completely ignoring this on their recommendations; don't embarrass yourself, a card that doesn't have so much this is a card you don't want to spend money on.

Converting your audio files to a lossless format is pretty much a given, FLAC being the go-to format for both economical and technical reasons. Regardless of which format you prefer, it absolutely needs to be lossless. Storage is cheap now, you have absolutely no valid excuse to remain using obsolete compression in exchange for a horrid sound quality. Lastly, a bone-conduction earphone is essential for the audiophile on the go, but can be skipped by the casual dilettante in favor of a cheaper headphone in the 70-100$ range.

So no, it is NOT necessary to fork over thousands of bucks in a proper sound setup. Buy smart, not fancy.
>>
>>51471431
go to your containment thread, you shitstain
>>
>>51471461
This isn't about the music, it's about the tech for the audiophile. If you want to shitpost, go to /b/.
>>
>>51471431
post pics of your bone conduction thing
>>
File: 259584.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
259584.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1600
>>51472104
Here's a picture of an Afteshokz boneconduction headphone. That model in particular hasn't been released yet, but bone-conduction technology is already pretty much a mainstream among the audiophiles now. Since it delivers the sound directly to the choclea bypassing the eardrums, it provides an amazing level of sound clarity even in otherwise noisy enviroments. Wearing a rubber or styrofoam earplug along to block out external sounds gives an even greater level sound quality.
>>
>>51472104
Here's the diagram of how bone-conduction tech works for those who are curious.
>>
>>51471431
how do i unsubscribe from this newsletter
>>
>>51473540
Does it work even while being jiggled about and such like during exercise?
>>
>>51473723
By clicking on the hide thread button.

>>51473761
The device itself is rather lightweight so there is not much inertial dislodging, and also it is kept tightly pressed against the bone. Not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to make sure it won't shift as you move around.
>>
>>51471431
Enjoy your placebo
>>
>>51471461
This
>>
>>51471431
You don't seem to be too knowledgeable about this.

Bone-conduction headphones are a developing technology at this point and it lacks sub-bass and top octave treble. As the technology matures it will get better.

Secondly, FLAC is mostly for archival purposes. There are lossy compression formats that's indistinguishable from lossless compression formats.

I suggest you read Hydrogenaudio's wiki about audio formats.
>>
>>51471431

>NOT necessary to fork over thousands of bucks in a proper sound setup

As someone who has been involved with "Recording Arts and Sciences" for almost 2 decades. I've worked as a professional soundman from your lowest level of speaking event job to huge 20 hour-shift events that span days / Guitar Technician / Amp Repair / Literally everything in the tech monkey world of music.

I call bullshit. Good audio equipment costs money, more than most people have to spare.
>>
>>51474098
The main selling points of the bone conduction tech is how resistant it is to noise interference, but it does have disavantages at this time relative to conventional air-conduction, which is why I mentioned is is a skippable step for the dilettante audiophile.

Your claims on lossy audio however are absolutely garbage. As someone who makes a living through his ear's capacity to distiguish even minutiae, I can safely say the so-called "perfect lossy audio" is a myth propagated by people with untrained/damaged ears.

>>51474123
You are talking about professional setups, which besides the necessarily higher standards also include input. As you may have noticed from my post, I've deliberate skimmed sound input from my analysis. Basically, this is aimed at audiophiles, not professionals sound technicians.

And while, yes, a perfect sound setup is absolutely expensive, anything above the range I described is incredibly inneficient in regards to the quality improvement per price increase ratio. Spending several hundreds of dollars for a marginal increase in quality is not buying smart, unless as mentioned it is a professional setup.
>>
This blog sucks.
>>
>>51474658
>Your claims on lossy audio however are absolutely garbage. As someone who makes a living through his ear's capacity to distiguish even minutiae, I can safely say the so-called "perfect lossy audio" is a myth propagated by people with untrained/damaged ears.

Nah, it's your claims that is garbage. Feel free to educate yourself the basic concept of transparency.
>>
>>51473540
these things dont look like they would go well with eye glasses. are there any other kind of models that dont go around your ears?
>>
>>51471431
How bad is my 112 SNR onboard sound really? How much do I need to spend on headphones before the difference of buying a quality sound card would be larger than spending another 200$ on more expensive headphones?
>>
>>51471431
Filtered.

You've been bested at your own game, tripfaggot. There's nothing you can do to reverse what I've just done. You wanted attention so you donned a tripcode. Now you literally cease to exist for me. I'll never see another one of your posts ever again. You can respond to my post but it will be utterly futile. I won't be able to read it. Chances are others have filtered you based on your vain attempts to draw attention to yourself in this thread, but did not announce it. In addition to this, others will follow my example and filter you based on this post. You have no recourse here, no plan, no fallback. If you had just posted anonymously you could have gotten the attention you so desperately need by making actual thought-provoking, intelligent posts. Now your world will just get smaller and smaller until your posts aren't visible by anyone.

You are defeated, tripfaggot. Completely and thoroughly vanquished.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.