[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy a Kindle Paperwhite for uni?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: kindle_paperwhite.jpg (77 KB, 840x840) Image search: [Google]
kindle_paperwhite.jpg
77 KB, 840x840
Should I buy a Kindle Paperwhite for uni?
>>
>>51464253
no

buy a real laptop
>>
>still using DRM-filled, pile of shit readers
>>
>>51464284
as opposed to
>>
>>51464275
already use a T420
>>
>>51464294
Reading on 144hz monitor
>>
>>51464310
>falling for the chink thick as fuck and not portable piece of shit laptop with a goodish keyboard

you guys should seriously consider portability when it comes to traveling to school with your laptops
>>
>>51464327
it's really as heavy and large as i could be while still being portable. I considered smaller laptops, but the value is much better in this.
>>
>>51464315
yeah no i'm not going to read on a non-eink display thanks i'm not poor
>>
>>51464294
Actual fucking books.

>BAWW I CANT CARRY AROUND 75 REAL BOOKS
You can't read 75 books in one session either. Reason other media is put on portable electronic devices is because you can easily e.g. listen to tons of music at once. Books, one, maybe two, unless you're reading preschool books.

It's stupid and it makes no sense. Nothing is better than a real book. Nothing.
>>
>>51464327
>being a giant fucking pussy that complains about carrying a 3 pound device
>>
>>51464367
ebooks are free, weigh nothing, and take up no space
>>
You'll save money on books. Around 50 bucks at least a semester. Just be aware it's a bitch to flip through when you're looking for a answer. It's easier to use the desktop app when you're taking a quiz or something.
>>
anons, the kindles literally just went up on amazon for BF. $99 for the paperwhite and $49 for the basic. Is the paperwhite worth $50 more? all I can see is double resolution and the backlight
>>
>>51464253
Maybe but probably not. Will your textbooks be available from Amazon on the kindle or can you send them to your kindle as a txt, word, htm or ... ... deranged PDF files? PDF readability can be painful after the formatting is ruined? It's just a lightweight reader, you won't be working on it. I don't think you will be doing too much reading between classes just for fun. The kind of required reading you might find on the kindle would supplied by the bookstore where you can sell those books back once you never have to read them again.

It's a very nice reader and the built in back-light is nice but not needed. It has a nice display and excellent battery life. The experimental web-browser isn't great and only does Amazon or Wikipedia unless you are on WiFi. The DRM thing means you are buying into Amazon but you 'could' decrypt your files when a better reader comes around. I am not sure what would happen to it if you stuffed it full of pirated books. There has some bad blood with kindle users finding that rights to books differ between countries like British users trying to read books on a kindle bought in the US.
>>
is it not possible to just download the ebooks online and put them from your computer to your kindle? am I missing something?
>>
No, Kindle can't read epub.
>>
>>51464729
You can transfer files from your computer using the charging cable or you can send them as files from your e-mail to your kindle's e-mail. The e-book has to be in a format supported by the kindle. Or it can be converted via email.

http://ireaderreview.com/2008/01/19/what-formats-does-the-kindle-support/
>>
Isn't pirating on kindle kind of a pain in the ass? Can you just drag and drop files or does it need some gay ass amazon software that fucks your PC in the ass and leaves it crying on prom night?
>>
>>51464841
I believe you need to download the Kindle software and add it to your library there. You may also be able to send it to your Kindle email, not fully sure.
>>
>>51464841
There is some decryption software that I have not tried yet. I have it stored somewhere or other just in case. I will occasionally back up my files from my kindle even though I don't need to. Books used to get edits or removals for unreasonable reasons.

Someone would have to look around to see if the books they were interested in were available for free.
>>
>>51464253
KINDLE OWNER HERE
Kindle cant read epubs but you can transfer epubs to mobi for free on internet. No need software just drag and drop and E-ink is the bomb for reading. Go for it.
>>
File: worry.jpg (14 KB, 193x243) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
14 KB, 193x243
is a kindle good for reading textbooks..?
>>
>>51464894
so you just convert it? and then drag and drop without the need for amazon data mining software?
>>
The touchscreen is a real pain in the ass on my regular kindle, that shit jump around and is retarded for any serious navigation.
>>
>>51464922
epub2mobi dot com and yes you just drag and drop, battery lasts forever, e-ink is kinda mechanical so it doesnt use a lot of energy. Reader on this is like paper so way better than tablets
>>
>>51464841
>>51464859
>>51464876

no you literally just pirate .mobi files and drag them onto the kindle in windows explorer or your linux file manager of choice
>>
Is there any point in getting a paper white over a regular kindle? I'm not going to be away from a charger for 8 weeks at a time because I'm not a mountain hermit.
>>
>>51465087
yes

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kindle-comparison.html
>>
>>51464914
No

It loses it shit on pdf files

Better than older versions, but still completely unacceptable
>>
>>51465119
Oh a thousand thank yous for answering my questions anon.
>>
>>51465133
Heh, you're welcome...

Paperwhite gives twice the resolution and 50% more battery life
>>
>>51464253
For me, they're fine for reading novels and things that you would typically cover linearly.

For textbooks where you might be referring back to diagrams and tables, I like dead trees since they're easy to flip around the pages or bookmark.

I also find ereaders are terrible for PDFs (granted, I've only used older kindles and one Sony reader known to have a lousy screen.) They tend to render the entire page scaled to the screen, and have really clunky, slow tools to zoom and pan.

I don't know about the Paperwhite, but my 3rd gen Kindle keyboard also had a text-to-speech feature which was nice. I could more or less make make novels & notes into audiobooks.
>>
>>51464367
I love regular books. But I don't like shoving them into my bag and having them get damaged. Also, I can get what would usually cost me $10-20 for free
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.