[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help please. My GTX 680 is severely underclocked. What could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: gtx680-11b.jpg (121 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gtx680-11b.jpg
121 KB, 1280x1024
Help please. My GTX 680 is severely underclocked. What could be causing it? Is my graphics card failing or is it my PSU that's failing? Both are a little over 3 years of usage age. The PSU is FSP 660W 80+gold btw, but I used my PC without power regulator for several weeks. I'm not sure if the power fluctuations fried my PSU or just my GPU.
>>
>>51461443
Are you able to test either component in a different rig?

What do you mean by underclock, has the speed of the card been lowered by you purposefully?
>>
Try an old game or a banchmark .
Might be CPU bn, probably not but could be.
Anyhow what CPU do you have?
What temps is the card running on, because if it's on the toasty side it's thermal throttling,
>>
File: 20151013G628.jpg (19 KB, 300x412) Image search: [Google]
20151013G628.jpg
19 KB, 300x412
>>51461506
No, it's underclocked by something, I don't know if it's the graphics card bios, or if it's not getting enough power from the PSU. Is that how GPUs behave when they are underpowered. I mean will they still function even when underpowered, but in a underclocked state. Before, I could play games at 60 fps, now it's 10 fps and below.

Unfortunately, this is the only PC available to me.
>>
Reinstall your drivers, if you have ever tried overclocking. I overclocked my 750ti a little too much and it broke my drivers so that it was stuck at around 405, as opposed to 1215 normal. Should fix your problem senpai.
>>
Driver issue maybe? Since the 600 series have the "gpu boost" function they downclock and upclock/overclock themselves automatically. maybe it's just confused and forgets to clock itself back up. Reinstall drivers.

Have you changed or upgraded your monitoring software recently? Could be a bug with that as well.
>>
File: sys.jpg (154 KB, 1509x536) Image search: [Google]
sys.jpg
154 KB, 1509x536
>>51461571
These are from speccy. I've noticed my GPU is only at PCIe x1. Maybe it's nodged and not in contact with the pins?
>>
>>51461778
Yea, pull that thing out and reseat it. Make sure the contacts aren't dirty. The pci slot as well.
>>
Have you tried closing all of your other programs while you run a game or benchmarking tool?

I had an issue when Facebook and YouTube true to use hardware acceleration, but it locked the clock rate at 500mhz. Closing chrome instantly fixed it.
>>
>>51461443
>I used my PC without power regulator for several weeks
what kind of power regulator are you talking about
also it's most likely just overheating
>>
>>51461602
>>51461614
Uninstalled and reinstalled as well, same results.
>>
Most decent PSUs have alright voltage control and power surge protection builtin and if it was a PSU problem your entire computer would have issues and likely not boot, hard drives, cpu, fans, etc.

download a program like GPU-Z and check your card's % performance to see if it's usage goes all the way to 100% and to check the actual voltage and amps going through it
>>
>>51461825
OK I will try after this. I might have to buy a GTX 960 as replacement if it fails. I was planning to buy the new Pascal cards next year. T.T

>>51461837
OK will try that, closing all browsers. I have HA enabled in firefox.

>>51461909
Voltage regulator I mean. The voltage regulator fuse pop, I had no extra fuses, so I plugged the PC with no protection into the outlet.
>>
File: uVOMKMW.jpg (150 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
uVOMKMW.jpg
150 KB, 595x842
>>51461953
Had a hard drive failure as well, although the other 2 hard drives are fine right now. OK will try it now.

Thanks everyone for your tips. :D
>>
>>51461980
a fuse doesn't regulate any voltage...
as I said, overheating
probably filled with dust
>>
I had this exact same problem, its the PSU, if its cheap, its likely that it's already dying, that's how I learned how not to cheap out on a PSU after my stuff started getting corrupted.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.