[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does apple allow you to install windows but non apple products
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: cheetah_2.png (458 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
cheetah_2.png
458 KB, 1024x768
Why does apple allow you to install windows but non apple products cant run OSX?

>inb4 hacked vmware mod shit
>>
windows supports lots of hardware, mac doesnt
>>
>>51446667
what the hell are you trying to say?

offbyone.jpg
>>
>>51446667
tl;dr version:
Apple wants their OS to be 'SPECHUL' so you'll buy their expensive ass hardware to run it.

Longer (most likely BS) Version:
Apple mostly turns a profit in their hardware sales, so by forcing you to buy their hardware they make up the costs of developing the OS. It also has the added bonus of having an easy as shit OS to code for (seeing how there will only be certain kinds of hardware to code for instead of the mish-mash you can get with any other desktop OS).
>>
>>51446667
because the only difference is their OS basically? Dumb question.
>>
>>51446667
Other developers of operating systems are SOFTWARE companies, and they make their OS be compatible with a wide variety of hadware. See: Microsoft.

Apple is primarily a HARDWARE company. They make their money by selling physical computing devices. One of the many "pulls" of these physical computing devices is the software that has been developed and optimized for only these physical computing devices.

Tl;dr, other companies find it rational to make their OS work on as many devices as possible, Apple's business model requires the opposite.

If the common consumer could easily make OSX run on a machine $500 cheaper than an iMac, they'd reconsider the purchase of the iMac. Apple maintains a hardware-centric ecosystem.
>>
File: 1435438315971.jpg (371 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1435438315971.jpg
371 KB, 1600x900
>>51446667
>non-Apple products can't run OSX

OK, kid

Posted from my fully up to date working hackintosh
>>
>>51446729
dumb answer
>>
File: 1428793898357.jpg (50 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
1428793898357.jpg
50 KB, 450x320
It's pretty clear you don't know jack shit about how OS X operates when you say hack modded VMware shit. Aside from clover EFI the boot loader, I only need 3 kexts (read drivers) to run a vanilla install on my Gigabyte motherboard. If Apple really gave a shit they would do something to stop hackintoshes outside of dsmos.kext
>>
>>51446749
Old pic lol
>>
>>51446793
Apple doesn't give a shit because that barrier is enough to stop 95% of all of the people who will ever consume an Apple product.

Go to an Apple Store and ask anyone you see if they'd be willing to do that process to run OSX without buying Apple hardware.
>>
>>51446667
what legitimate business reason does apple have to license out OS X? microsoft has already proven that people don't buy OSes anymore
>>
They did allow Mac "clones" for a while, essentially cheap computers that ran OS/8, and Apple almost went under because they where not making enough money off their hardware.

I doubt they will make that mistake again.
>>
>>51446667
ever heard of architecture or are you just dumb?
>>
>>51447120
And worse still the clones weren't even any good.
>>
>>51446749
its not legit support, its hacked shit
>>
>>51446667
Applel makes money on hardware, they don't care what it runs.
The hardware wouldn', however, sell as much as it does if other, cheaper hardware could run the same OS just as well. They tried it years ago, ended up losing money.
>>
>>51446707
There OS is designed to run on specific hardware and lacks drivers and api's for everything else.
>>
>>51446684

It's a legal thing, apple gets all asshurt over the concept of OS X Running on non-apple hardware.
>>
>>51446667
Because being able to run Windows on a Mac sells more Macs, but being able to run OS X on Dells doesn't add anything to Apple's bottom line.
>>
Ugh, hackintosh, anybody?!
>>
To avoid the same mistake they did in the 1990s.
>>
>>51450911
On second thought, it drives Mac App Store sales which Apple takes a cut of, so maybe this mode of thinking is obsolete.
>>
>>51446667
Small pool of used hardware decreases the cost of making drivers and supporting it.
Also optimizing say 2 GPUs is easier than optimizing 200 of them
>>
>>51446667
but they can
>>
File: starmax.jpg (38 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
starmax.jpg
38 KB, 640x853
>>51446667
they did once and it nearly killed them just like PC clones killed IBM in the home and small business market

it's bad for business, they drive down prices (and profit margins)
>>
>>51446667
>Why does apple allow you to install windows but non apple products cant run OSX?
For the simple, but never understood, reason that Apple make their money off the hardware.
Unlike Microsoft, they don't make their money of software. They make some but not much.
And unlike the other hardware makers they aren't involved in a race to the bottom on pricing, and that leads to accusations of being overpriced.
>>
>>51446667

Simple.

Apple makes money on Macs by selling hardware.
OSX comes free with every Mac, every update is free, but you need to have a Mac.
>>
>>51446746
/thread
>>
>>51446667
You know what stinks. I have a 2011 imac at work and it sucks on el capitan so I thought I would install windows 10 since the machine is an i7 with 8gb of ram there should be no problem right?
Wrong...If you have and older mac it will only let you install windows 7. You can then load win 7 and upgrade to 10 and it works beautifully. But if you restart it will never boot into it again. Despite working flawlessly apple will block anything past 7 because they know it'll embarrass shitty osx on the same hardware.
>>
Apple and M$ have a friendly relationship for years, plus >>51446684
>>
>>51446667
It's their business model.
You can install whatever you want on macs, just like on any other PC, but their software is only developed for mac hardware.
>>
Apple died once they moved to x86 architecture.

You can run Windows or linux on x86 and even then most Apple apps are locked to the Apple OS.

You could always use Linux or BSD.
>>
>>51446667
>>51446749
/thread
>>
>>51453024
>powerpc is better than intel
lol no
>>
>>51453024
they had to move to the x86, because IBM couldn't fit a G5 in a laptop
>>
>>51453174
RISC has always been better than pleb-level x86 chips
>>
>>51453248
From a company and financial standpoint It's easy to see why.
>>51453174
I never said that.
It's just pointless to run Apple when linux or Windows can be ran on it and can be upgraded.
>>
>>51453281
plus the amount of heat that would come from a G5, a bit much for a laptop
>>
that being said, I did like the powerPC series, if you remember the whole "ignore the clock speed" thing they had going on
>>
>>51453335
I like my old dual G4 Powermac. I only wish it was a bit more server friendly with a proper serial console like my old Sun Ultra 5.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.