[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ anyone using a raspberry pi for anything? Pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: meh.png (1 MB, 745x1000) Image search: [Google]
meh.png
1 MB, 745x1000
Sup /g/ anyone using a raspberry pi for anything?
Pic related. One in my car to play music over fm and record from a camera behind the seat.
>>
Bump
No one?
>>
I had a small rover with a camera controlled over the internet. Also one with OpenELEC as a mediacenter and one as a web+mail+irc server
>>
File: final small.jpg (2 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
final small.jpg
2 MB, 2464x1632
>>51439962
Yeah, I use one to monitor my UPS and drive a relay that turns my server back on after a power outage. It's a very basic project, but also very useful to me.

Also used it for XBMC for a while, but in the end it wasn't quite fast and stable enough for me. I've replaced it with my old C2D laptop, it does a much better job.
>>
>>51439962
>that fucking picture
obvious bait thread but i do like the raspberry pi. i have a model b which i use for cctv. it has a shitty webcam and runs motion and a nasty php site which i cobbled together. motion only outputs in shitty formats so i have a shitty shellscript which converts them with ffmpeg.
also got a model 2 which runs kodi. i have a shared mysql database so this pi does all my media indexing and it's also my alarm clock.
i have at least two more kicking around somewhere but they're not in use at the moment.
>>
Got a beaglebone black and made a name@lastname mail server for me and my family with a web client
>>
Eh. There's been better boards for cheaper for several years now, I think.

I do have an ODROID-C1 running a VPN, but that's hopefully a relatively temporary situation.
>>
>>51439962
I've got set up as a home automation system and another as an IP cam on a smartphone controlled robot I made.
>>
>>51440443
Oh, I also have a BeagleBone Black. It lives in an Altoids tin, but doesn't actually do anything interesting.
>>
>>51440376
Not bait. Gonna make a small box for the buttons and led later just need something that works now.
>>
>>51440443
I've had these boards for years, not really a reason to replace as they still get the job done.
>>51440290
I've been using one for openelec, it isn't quite as good as i would like. I guess thats one reason to upgrade.

Anyone know any board that is better for media playback? I wanna keep the small form factor so i don't wanna use a laptop.
>>
>>51440585
model 2 handles kodi absolutely fine after you do the following;
>set it to reboot daily, especially after a library scan.
>add a @reboot job in your crontab go copy a known-good guisettings.xml over the top of the live one. kodi writes to this file frequently and very occasionally fills it with nulls, which will cause kodi to reset all your settings to defaults.
>>
>>51440290
>that turns my server back on after a power outage.
Isn't that just an option in the BIOS?
>>
>>51440585
I kind of came to the (sad) conclusion that if you want proper media playback you're better off with a device that has a decently powerful CPU. The old C2D not only runs Kodi with flawless performance no matter the skin, it can also handle decoding for some formats that are not supported for hardware decoding (i.e. 10b h264, haven't tried HEVC on it since I have no actual content in that format). I'm still on 1080p, but this will only become more important with the switch to 4K I imagine.

If you want a tiny package, then probably something in a NUC form factor would probably be best. If you're going for some ARM board make extra sure it has properly working hardware decoding in Kodi and a decent CPU to properly run the interface with the media library and all that. I'm not exactly up to date on what these boards are capable of nowadays.
>>
>>51439962
>>51440290
nice clock ahmed
>>
>>51440791
No, for instance that wouldn't work if the UPS itself doesn't shut down. The server comes down after 2 minutes on UPS power, because I want to be 100% sure that the RAID & HDDs shut down safely. After that, the RasPi, ONT and router continue running until the battery is drained. If mains power comes back while the UPS is still up, the server can't tell that anything has changed. So the RasPi instead detects it via apcupsd and turns the server on.

This is actually the scenario that happens, most power outages are pretty short, maybe like 20m, which the UPS covers if the server shuts down early. During this time I still have internet access due to the other shit still running.
>>
>>51440891
I am pretty sure you are missing a CUPS or BIOS setting that would have your UPS turn the computer back on once power was restored.
>>
>>51440940
There's nothing like that in the BIOS, it's a desktop board (a Z87 model because it had VT-d support), not actual server hardware.

Wasn't CUPS something related to printing? What does it have to do with USB UPS's?
>>
>>51441091
Was I thinking NUT?

Anyway. I guess you have a solution that is working so who am I to complain.
>>
>>51440860
I am actually worried about being pulled over and a cop seeing it and not knowing what it is
>>
>>51440290
man i thought you were talking about tracking packages

fuck i'm an idiot
>>
>>51441232
So long as you aren't black or a towel head you won't have a problem.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.