[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1447633234637.webm (425 KB, 202x328) Image search: [Google]
1447633234637.webm
425 KB, 202x328
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
I have a Toshiba flash drive, and some devices refer to it as "TRANSMEMORY". This isn't the drive label, I've changed that. Can I change this name?
>>
is ruby a language that i should spend a year learning?

i'm a senior CS major and most of my classes revolve around java and java and java but i'm not buying the java fanboyism
>>
>>51430483
Did he died?
>>
What's /g/'s recommended CPU Fans to use right now? I'm using a gentle typhoon that I modded to take in fan speed control but the noise bothers me whenever I'm booting up my PC, for some reason I could only control it via gigabyte's tuner, might be mobo limitations.
>>
How do I tell a good PSU from a bad one? Are there good reliable PSUs without the 80 or 80 gold thing whatever it means?
I need to buy a new PSU for my new power-hungry graphics card
>>
File: TX3.png (65 KB, 244x275) Image search: [Google]
TX3.png
65 KB, 244x275
>>51430560
I got this one as a replacement for the stock AMD CPU fan and my CPU rarely ever gets over 30ÂșC
Then again its the only time i ever do this so i dont really know how this compares to other custom fans, but the change is amazing from the stock cooler i must say
>>51430502
the Transmemory thing is a USB drive.
>>
>>51430635
No, I mean the fans not the heatsink.
>>
When I'm building my pc, do I NEED to use an antistatic wrist strap? My first build...
>>
>>51430663
No, but it helps I suppose.

Just make sure you discharge yourself by touching your case before handling static sensitive components. Also work in a clean area, preferably not on a rug or something where static charge can build up.
>>
>>51430648
if you want a more silent fan your best choice is one that comes like a big heatsink, i think? so it can run at lower rpm
>>51430663
you really dont. just make sure to disconnect it from electricity as you touch it. at the most you might get a little shock but its not much
>>
>>51430663
be very careful when placing the CPU in the socket. if you break a single pin you basically broke the whole CPU
maybe have someone more experienced doing or explaining you how to do that specific part
>>
>>51430726
I'm asking if majority of the people here are a Noctua NF-F12 or a Corsair SP120-guy.
Sorry if my question was poorly worded.
>>
/r/ing a good DisplayPort 1.2 cable, I don't know who the hell to trust, a lot of people sell their shit expensive as hell, ghetto as fuck or long as all shit.

I ask because even after using the mighty Google, I cannot decide.
>>
File: file.png (38 KB, 793x395) Image search: [Google]
file.png
38 KB, 793x395
Anyone know of a guide for this particular board/cpu combo?

I'm running this on an ASUS P5Q board. I want to do the simplest OC which I'm led to believe is just getting the FSB DRAM ratio to 1:1 so 400 FSB which means 3.8 GHz and good enough for me.
>>
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIQTKAS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=e0747-20&linkCode=sl1

Is this worth it?

$80 for a 2TB HDD seems cheap, but isn't this SSHD even better?
>>
I've got a Fractal Design Define R4 and Asus z97-a mobo, however the blue USB 3.0 built into the case for the front ports is too damn short. What kind of cable would I need to properly extend it into the mobo?
>>
What is the most I can sell my mostly-new (the tablet is in borderline perfect quality, the box is a little banged up though) original Surface RT? I've got NO use for this shitty thing, I regret having ever payed a couple hundred bucks on it.
>>
How do I tell if a monitor has a matte or glossy screen?

I'm considering getting one of these:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/25659

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/27490
>>
What is a VPN / Proxy?
Do I need one?
Which is good? cost?

and wtf is incognito mode.
don't know too much about this sort of thing

Thanks /g/
>>
>>51430483
I want to make videos from images and audio files (1 image and audio file per video, of variable size and duration), using ffmpeg. the problem is, the less frames the video has, the less size and the faster the encoding is.

what would be the best way to do this?
right now I'm doing this:
ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 1/2 -i /tmp/img.png -i /tmp/audio.ogg -c:v libvpx -tune stillimage -cpu-used 2 -c:a libvorbis -shortest /tmp/out.webm

but I get some weird issues...
>>
So im probably going to try and get into overclocking a little bit. Is a 850 watt PSU enough to lightly OC a i5 6600k, RAM, and a 390x?
>>
What's a good stability tester for gpus?

The gpu equivalent of intelburntest
>>
>>51431341
furmark?
>>
>>51431382
Perfect. Thanks.
>>
>>51430483
How do I fix a Linux Mint 17.2 installation with Cinnamon that won't start and just shows a black screen?
>>
Asked this a few days ago and some anon told me to update the bios but it didn't fix anything.

My MSI Z97M motherboard has corrupt bios and won't let me boot to windows, is there anything I can do besides buying a new motherboard?
>>
I need to demonstrate how to install some backtrack/kali/mobisec security tools on a fresh linux destro that is free and easily available for download. I would also need to recommend and justify why a particular distro is a better option than the others for this purpose. Which nix distro would /g/ recommend? I have ubuntu's mint 8 disc which I was thinking of choosing, but not sure if it makes installing these tools harder/easier than others.
>>
My power supply is 650w rated.

It doesn't use 650 watts all the time though, right? That is only its full capacity?
>>
>>51431514
No, it only draws close to what is required. How efficient it is at not drawing too much power is where your efficiency ratings come in (bronze, gold, etc)
>>
What distro should I use if I have zero linux experience and just want to dual boot for running the anaconda python package, Ubuntu seems too casual and Archlinux seems to hardcore for me, is there an inbetween thats easy enough to understand and still customizable?
>>
>>51431435
>>>/g/flt

>>51431501
you can run backtrack in a chroot, a VM, or even mount the disk and use its tools from any linux distro. why would you care about one or another distro? use whatever you want.
>>
On To Catch a Predator, if the dudes were to just get up and leave when Chris Hansen walks in, are they free to go?
>>
File: 1-social-justice-warrior.jpg (80 KB, 712x612) Image search: [Google]
1-social-justice-warrior.jpg
80 KB, 712x612
What do you see when you look at this picture?
>>
>>51431595
can't you use a VM?

>anaconda python package
no idea what this is...

>Ubuntu seems too casual
what does that even mean? you'd be ashamed if someone looked at you while using ubuntu, or something?

>>51431720
she looks like she eats too much, I'd tell her to do it by herself or gtfo
>>
How do I disable ALL logging for MySQL?
Also, will changing the conf file for Apache where it says "LogLevel" to "off" completely stop Apache logging?

I have an SSD (and no HDD), and I don't want it to waste write cycles.
>>
>>51430574
You generally go for the known brands.
>>
>>51431771
Its a python package that comes with physics libraries

By casual I meant it reminds me of a mac OS and wasnt sure how restrictive it is on customisation compared to Arch for exampls, casual was a poor choice of word
>>
>>51431280
anyone?
>>
>>51431720
An underage b&.
>>
i am absolutely terrified of applying thermal paste to my first processor in a few weeks how the fuck am i supposed to do this
>>
File: 280x.png (153 KB, 800x494) Image search: [Google]
280x.png
153 KB, 800x494
Once my 280x hits around 70-75c it starts jumping rapidly from 1ghz to 800mhz.

Is this a form of throttling? I didn't think so cause the temps and fan speed kept rising but this is my first build so I'm still not 100% on these things.
>>
>>51431842
>wasnt sure how restrictive it is on customisation compared to Arch for exampls
all distros are more or less the same thing, it's not the job of distro maintainers to restrict your software
in ubuntu, some things may be resetted after upgrades, though. not sure about arch
btw, by ubuntu I mean all the *buntus.
>>
is there a way to use the classic theme on windows 10?

you could do it on windows 8.1. I really like the classic windows 98 theme

fuck i hate microsoft
>>
Ads are seeping through uBlock Origin. This is the first time this has happened since I started using an adblocker. What's going on?
>>
>>51431953
I know for a fact you could do it on Win7, does that help?
>>
>>51431280
try this;
ffmpeg -r 1 -loop 1 -i 1.JPG -i 1.m4a -c:v libvpx -deadline realtime -c:a libvorbis -b:a 160k -shortest /tmp/a.webm

note, if the source audio is already vorbis, swap "-c:a libvorbis -b:a 160k" for "-c:a copy" to avoid unneccesary transcoding (both faster and no additional quality loss)
>>
I have $100 for a tablet. I intend on using it as my GURPS library since a lot of the books are out of print and PDFs are cheaper anyway. What should I get?
>>
whats a good cheap tablet for 1080p movies , mostly mkv files
>>
Is high CPU usage (95-100%) harmful if the temperature is staying at or below 80 degrees?
>>
why is it that Macs and Android phones can accurately tell you how much power you have left while Windows laptops can't?
>>
>>51432214
depends on the cpu, 80c is thermal shutoff tier for most amd cpu's, still pretty hot for intel cpu's, if it's fahrenheit then it's fine, i think
>>
>>51432246
i5 4570. I was under the impression that extended periods of time above 80c were harmful, but I'm right at the precipice it seems.
>>
>>51432264
i prefer to keep my amd cpu under 55c, but i understand intel cpu's have a higher thermal limit

still, 80c seems pretty hot to have the cpu at often, it can't be good for surrounding components, either
>>
>>51432286
To be fully honest, it's only when I play GTA5. That game fucking melts my CPU and maxes out my memory even with all nonessential programs and processes eliminated. Ideally I'd replace the cooler and get more memory, but I can't justify spending 70+ dollars on components that I'll only need for a single game that I barely play.

Incidentally, there's no way I could stay under 55c at present. I idle at 40.
>>
Is there anyway to backup/store a Arch or any Linux install to a iso or something?

It'd be handy having my customized arch install on a usb somewhere.
>>
>>51432363
yes
>>
>>51432017
thanks anon, I'll try this tomorrow. I'll now go to sleep, because I feel like shit, but tyvm for your help
>>
File: 1437867169968.png (269 KB, 677x656) Image search: [Google]
1437867169968.png
269 KB, 677x656
Do you think the Dell Venue 8 7000 is a decent buy at $250? I have an iPad, but I'm really tired of iOS and just want a well-built 7-8" Android tablet with a nice screen for reading books and comics on and streaming Plex to.
>>
Sometimes on battlestation threads, I'd see setups with monitor speakers and what I'm guessing is a small mixer. I have no idea about audio as I've always just used regular computer speakers.

What is the point of using the mixer with the monitor speakers? Is that the only way to use those type of speakers?
>>
>>51431970
Update it manually
>>
Whats a good font to use for websites generated with vim using a solarized color scheme
>>
>>51431915
heatsinks usually have the paste pre-applied.
>>
>>51432442
Too weeb, didn't read.
>>
File: 55.jpg (34 KB, 400x583) Image search: [Google]
55.jpg
34 KB, 400x583
>>51431098
Anyone?
>>
>>51430837
For a while now I've bought all cable off monoprice. Cheap and does what it's supposed to. Haven't had any fail(and I have a LOOOOT)
>>
>>51431173
Pick any from this list.
https://www.privacytools.io/#vpn
Unless you're getting letters for downloading stuff or use public wifi often they aren't too necessary imo.
>>
>>51432478
With some active speakers the best interface on them is a balanced connection, which desktops never have. Those mixers have those outputs as well as good mic inputs(or at least better than on-board audio). Plus having the inputs and outputs on your desk is wayyyy more convenient than having them on the back of a computer. I just run an interface and would never go back.

P.S. sorry for namefag, left it on and forgot about it. oh well....
>>
File: 2015calendar.jpg (267 KB, 1600x1395) Image search: [Google]
2015calendar.jpg
267 KB, 1600x1395
What is the best calendar app for windows?
>>
>>51432550
Don't bump, did you read the OP? Also in less than a minute I found reviews that showed both of them as matte.
>>
>>51431720
Someone who needs a salad, not a sandwich
>>
Can someone explain pointers to me? I'm new to programming and learning c++ and pointers are confusing.
>>
Repost from last thread on the hope someone can help:

Any PHP fags that can help?

I want to send a XML with PHP to a server where a PHP script reads it. This is what i got:

//Sending:
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, array('Content-Type: text/xml'));
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "recXML=".$xml);
$result = curl_exec($ch);

//different php script
//Receiving:
if(isset($_POST['recXML'])){
$xmlTest = $_POST['recXML'];
}else{
return "NO XML RECEIVED";
}

I always get back: NO XML RECEIVED
tried a dozen variations on the curl, but no results..
>>
>>51433024
Well I'm sorry, but all I could find were arab unboxing videos that showed around 5 seconds of the actual monitor.
>>
Is there an easier way to calculate the digits to be displayed in a 4 digit display given only the seconds?
This works, but it produces a significant lag.

>How do I microwave seconds?
>>
File: 1447097073741.jpg (401 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447097073741.jpg
401 KB, 683x1024
>>51433199
I can't give you an answer, but I'm going to follow it up with a stupid question of my own:
What system are you working on that 10 arithmetic operations would introduce significant lag?
>>
>>51430483
I have a 4chan related problem. I use the default 4chan and I put my style on "Tomorrow". When I shut my computer down and come back the style has reset to the default. does anyone know how to make this permanent?
>>
File: how to build a computer.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
how to build a computer.webm
3 MB, 600x338
So, I'm making a new PC, and I want to install windows 10 on it... illegally. Will using the windows 10 into the flashdrive thing in their website, allow me to go into the desktop if I just skip the activation key part?
>>
>>51433108
http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.post.php

According to one of the top comments, POST is not set for text/xml content type, so that's why you can't read it.
>>
File: 20151118_193410_HDR.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151118_193410_HDR.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>51433264
I'm working with a 1Mhz microcontroller (Attiny 85) controllng a 4 digit display, I make the operations every 50 cycles because if I try to make them continuously the refresh rate drops below human perception.
I probably should use real C instead of the laggy arduino IDE, using shiftOut to drive the shift registers already lags it down a lot, but I still have to figure out how to do it the hard way.
>>
>>51433108
same guy >>51433340

link to the comment
http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.post.php#114598
>>
>>51430663
No, you dont. Ground yourself regularly, on the PSU by plugging it into the wall ( dont switch it on ). All you have to do is touch the PSU.
>>
>>51433321
what are you even asking

yes you can press the skip button?
>>
>>51430663

Do you generally get static in your home? If yes, then you need to ground yourself, if no then you should be okay. Assemble on the ground if anything, but not carpet.
>>
>>51430483
Is /g/ any good for STEM careers advice?

The mods are cracking down on them here on /sci/. /biz/ is only appropriate for financial work and those threads get ignored (mostly) and the recommended /adv/ is shit - at any given time on that board there's only one careers thread, and it dies fast due to being buried by relationship shit often with at most 10 replies.

So I've been pointed to here...
>>
>>51433061
pointers contain the memory address of an object/array/buffer/whatever
>>
How do i attach a vertical monitor onto the side of a horizontal monitor??
>>
>>51432325
That's absolutely fine. Intel CPUs generally have a TJ Max. Of something like 115 degrees. I'd only consider stopping GTA or whatever if it was going close to 100, or anywhere in the nineties
>>
@51433644
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>51430932

Well I just OCd and been running Prime95 for over an hour now. Is 2 hours of stress testing enough for this? It's supposed to be a pretty safe OC for this cpu.
>>
File: file.png (23 KB, 395x397) Image search: [Google]
file.png
23 KB, 395x397
>>51433776

forgot pic
>>
I have a 980.
Looking to gind a way to play Quake 1, with mods that can make it take advantage of the full resolution and effects this card has to offer.
Any suggestions on what mods I can try?
>>
How can I get an Activex website to work on a Mac?

I've tried a bunch of user agents and chrome addons, but the site still says I need IE.
>>
Looking for a couple apps for android:

- vid to webm converter with a gui
- android app similar to sysinternals process explorer, also gui

Any suggestions?
>>
I have a macbookpro, 2008 version that I bought for 80$ because the keyboard isn't working (water damage)

Can I buy a new keyboard with no backlight and transfer the working backlight from the old keyboard to the new one?
>>
>>51430536
try out C# next, Very simar syntax to Java, but better with .NET framework imo desu senpai
>>
File: 51Q4kGat91L.jpg (41 KB, 381x500) Image search: [Google]
51Q4kGat91L.jpg
41 KB, 381x500
Is this book worth buying?
>>
DJI phantom 3 pro owner here.
The drone just updated to the latest firmware, and put my home in a no fly zone.

Is there a way to downgrade the FW to remove this restriction?
>>
>>51433919
Download it.
Skim through it.
See if it has content that interests you, and will educate you enough to make the investment worthwile.
If it does, then buy it.
>>
>>51432494
http://www.dafont.com/proggy-clean.font
>>
>>51433644
stapler
>>
>>51433423
there are considerably more wage slaves here than anywhere else and the representation of anti-NEETs is distinctly above average compared to the rest of 4chan, but more likely than not it'll just be whatever jobbers shilling for their respective professions. If you were going to ask, this is probably the best place to do it although a good chunk of /g/ would prefer you didn't make any threads about that normie shit
>>
>>51431460
Did you manage to get through the update process completely?

The thing is, you can fix a bad bios, but the equipment you need will run you about 400-600$, plus about 10-20 hours of research and testing before you can fully use it, along with mad soldering/desoldering skills.

A new mobo will set you back 100-200$

Up to you to decide which path to take
>>
Is OGG better than WAV or MP3? I heard that OGG is the newer than both of them so its better?
>>
Working shitty hours at work now. I hear manipulating the colour of LED's can help trick your brain into thinking it's night time.

Amazon has 16 foot strips of RGB LED's for like $15, was thinking of setting them a few up in my room. Anybody know of a way I can control them from my computer or put them on a timer for certain times of the day?
>>
>>51433355
>>51433340
Nice find man, been googling this for the last 4 hours and never came across something like this. Every stackoverflow question also doesn't seem to mention it (and do use POST). Gonna check it out.
>>
>>51433423
Just ask instead of asking if you may ask
>>
>>51433978
OGG is just a container. The audio codec you're probably thinking of is Vorbis. Yet, Opus is the way to go now for lossy encoding: 192 kbps Opus is roughly as good as 320 kbps or VBR V0 MP3.
WAV is lossless, uncompressed audio. FLAC halves the WAV files by a factor of between 2 and 3 losslessly.
>>
My old Keyboard starts shitting itself (Logitech G15, don't judge, I got it as a gift and I ended up liking the feel of the keys)
Now I'm thinking of buying a new Mechanical keyboard (never had one) but fuck me is there a lot of shit out there and I'm not actually savy enough to fully know what kind of switch I want, black or brown? Not sure.

Also all this shit costing 100€ extra for "gaming" and fucking LEDs on it.

I'm mostly really not sure about wanting tactile. or not so committing is hard. Looking at the Wiki guides doesn't help much either.

tl;dr help me buy a Keyboard for gaming pls.
>>
>>51434057
So why Opus offers 500 kbps option?
>>
>>51433978
>>51434057
Also depending on what you're doing, it might not matter anyway. If you're just listening to some music at home on average speakers/Headphones/Headset you're absolutely fine listening to mp3 as long as they're not some fucked up youtube rip.
Apparently after a recent blind test most people can't tell the difference anyway.
So unless you're an Audiophile with expensive hardware, or trying to get into the audio world professionally, I'd say going with mp3 is convenient and fine.
>>
>>51434168
Because it is a viable alternative to FLAC for archiving in that case. You get virtually no valuable sound information loss, compared to high bitrate MP3 which still cuts beyond the 20 kHz frequencies despite the bitrate.
>>
At times my white steelseries rival mouse would make my crosshair jump up or down. This only happens when I'm playing dirty bomb, haven't tried it in other games.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWk_QSHcla4

And if it helps, I have the DeX as my pad
>>
Is pc partpicker am effective tool you guys would suggest utilizing?
>>
>>51434304
yes
>>
File: always homer.png (157 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
always homer.png
157 KB, 500x378
>>51434128
>mechanical keyboard
>for video games

don't fall for the /g/ meme
>>
>>51433343
nice clock ahmed
>>
>>51430483
I tried using wget on my 64 bit windows 7 but it gave me an error saying that it's only compatible with 32 bit windows. I thought 64 windows was able to emulate 32 bit programs? Is there a way around this?
>>
File: Untitled.png (115 KB, 1139x1223) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
115 KB, 1139x1223
Thoughts?

I can go up to about 4K not including peripherals.
>>
Using the default Mint's terminal I can not use tmux -CC on third party servers, it just hangs and doesn't open new windows.

What must I do/install?
>>
>WD Green, Blue, Red
Which one I should take? The only criteria I have is:
>High reliability (I want to use it for at least 5 yrs)
>Good or moderate transfers
>>
>>51434520
I feel like if you're spending 3k on a PC you should get a 5820K or something.
>>
>>51434520
If you have money to spare go for a bigger SSD.
>>
>>51434543
What are you using it for?
>>
Why was I using MadVR again? My 560 is evidently too weak to play 4k videos with that renderer, so I switched to some other random one and noticed no obvious quality difference + it's much more stable and faster.

So why I was using it for 3-4 years?
>>
Orange pi pc 1 is good?
>>
>>51434520
>4790k
switch to Broadwell, or even Skylake.
But I'd bet on a 5775c to make that shit fly.
>>
>>51430539
I think the balloon is gonna be okay.
>>
How would I add persistent chat to a rizon IRC channel?
>>
>>51434620
MadVR looks awesome, that's probably why you were using it.

Oh, and remember to update it.
Dude, my HD4770 ran it with no problems, idk how you could have any issues
>>
When I go to Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> Right-click my WiFi adapter -> Properties, the IPv4 settings don't show up. I need to change my local IP, how the fuck do I do that when I'm on Windows 10? It's Home Edition, are we not allowed? If that's the case, I'm reinstalling TODAY. What the fuck, MS?
>>
>>51434405
Why? Don't people around the world like them?
>>
File: WiFi properties.png (9 KB, 363x468) Image search: [Google]
WiFi properties.png
9 KB, 363x468
>>51434798
Here's a pic of my window, wtf is going on?
>>
Recently moved from Bloomfield to Haswell-E. Is it possible to tighten up RAM timings while under XMP? Want to reduce latency.
>>
What's a good portable screen for a raspi?
>>
>>51434850
Windows is uninstalling itself and has been taken in hostage by angry Dutch.
>>
>>51434850
Anon the issue is that it says netverk
>>
>>51434850
It just verks
>>
>>51434585
I would like to use it mostly as a storage for my films, jpg's and this type of stuff.
>>
File: f44572632.png (396 KB, 964x498) Image search: [Google]
f44572632.png
396 KB, 964x498
OK, Long story short.
Micro SD card became unaccessible and giving I/O read error after plugging to xbox
Tried both linux and windows, neither could read or format it.
Finally decided to plug it to my phone.
Couldn't read it as well BUT it was able to format it.
How could this be?
>>
>>51435204
Your SD card is dying, anon.
>>
>>51435204
I refuse to believe linux was unable to read nor format it.
It could have something to do with the sd reader you connected to your computer, which didn't have problem with the sd after your phone formatted it
>>
>>51435204
Is it possible that iregular voltages from the xbox fried the IO controller
>>
>>51435264
It has nothing to do with the OS, it's the SD card controller who's responsible in deciding whether it should give up reading a card with I/O errors. It just means that the SD card reader is more error tolerant. Still, you have faulty sectors on your SD card and that will not improve.
>>
>>51435234
Doubt it, after I formatted it everything works.
The only thing that died was my sd card reader.

What I want to know how could my phone format the sd card, where my pc running windows and linux couldn't.
Even gparted could only read it, and not format it.
Could it be phones are able of re-flashing the microcontroller firmware?

>>51435264
Linux could read the card, it showed with "lsblk" as /dev/sdb
But it couldn't be mounted at all and gave the
I/O error couldn't be read
error.
>It could have something to do with the sd reader you connected to your computer, which didn't have problem with the sd after your phone formatted it
How is that possible?
>>51435287
I connected it a few times before, so I'm not sure but it could be.
Anyway the SD card works fine now, But I wish to know how my phone which is Nokia C7 was able to format that SD card.
>>
Win10 was fucked up so i reset/reinstalled it, but there is no cortana anywhere to be found

Not really complaining, didnt want it anyway, but its a little suspicious. Did my install fuck up or something?
>>
>>51435315
>Nokia C7
Symbian mustard race, bb.

;_;
>>
Phenom II x4 955 BE
XFX r7 260X

Should I bother overclocking my GPU? Is it worth it at all?

Is it enough to play vidya games on 1920x1080?
>>
>>51430574
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
you are usually safe with one that has a good 80 plus cert, and most it's wattage (Amps*Volts) on the 12v rails (where the cpu/gpu draw, you want the most)

>>51431514
it means it's rated at 650w on all 3 outputs combined (3v,5v,12v), then with efficiency you get what it draws from the plug

ex: 65w cpu + 120w gpu + 40w mb+ram + 5w hdd = 230w

If it has 85% efficiency, it takes 230/0.85=270,5w to supply 230w.
>>
>>51431659
have you ever seen the show? many many dudes get up and try to leave

there's police everywhere outside. they've already commited a crime, remember?
>>
I work for a company that uses a buisiness account on gmail.

So my email address is [email protected], but I use the gmail.com site to login.

I have an android phone, and want to receive email on my device.
Tried using imap/pop/smtp with no luck. (I have used all default configurations suggested by google)

Called support, and they say its possible, but will have to charge me to configure it.

Im thinking they are using a non-standard port for authentication.

Is there a way I can scan to see which ports are being used for authenticating my account?

Also open to any other ideas you come up with.
>>
I'm using Hydrus Network.

How do I get it to compare images to boorus and add the tags from said boorus when it finds a match?
>>
>>51431920
yes it is its underclocking itself to produce less heat
>>
>>51431920
>is this a form of throttling

yes it is
>>
what's the best way to back up the extensions i have installed in firefox, in case they become unavailable online?
>>
>>51432178
the kindle , it has the best screen for looking at it at a longer period , (ie your eyes wont hurt)
>>
>>51435462
FEBE
>>
>>51431920
What are you doing with it? I notice the usage is dropping on the graph you showed.

Maybe it underclocks under less load?
>>
>>51432214
any temperature over 60°C (it can be hhigher or lower depending on specs) is harmful such that it will lower the cpu lifetime , the higher the temp shorter it will last , but they are all mostly limited to a certain temp where they will shut off so it doesn't instantly burn up ....so long term it effects if your cpu will last a year or more depending on its temp. Most of the CPUs i had worked from 40-60 degrees and lasted 7 years or more (ie i never had a CPU failure) ...All of that considered 80 degrees celsius is a bit too much for a CPU because its working at the temp threshold so you risk your PC shutting down and having it working at slower speeds (because temperature throttling)
>>
>>51432225
short anwser is they don't
>>
>>51431720
someone who needs a stomach bypass.
>>
>>51433343
reported to the fbi.
>>
>>51434520
>$1300 for deprecated gpu in a few months.
>>
>>51430483
I have FTTH and it uses PON.I set up my port 3 as bridge connection and I cannot get internet on my 810L even though I set it up with the PPOE and pass. Modem is i-240wr Alcatel what am i doing wrong?
>>
>>51431915
you put a dab of paste on the processor and then wipe it with a clean cloth (you dont have to rub it out just gently take the excesss) then put another dab of paste on top of it all (size of a corn kernel) and put the heatsink on top and without screwing it in wiggle it around in circles (most sockets allow a little wiggle room) then screw it on ...thats if you have a cooler without paste on it , most coolers come with paste applied on the bottom already (it looks like a thin sponge)
>>
>>51430539

Yes Throwing condoms inflated with nerve gas towards an active welder is very dangerous.
>>
>>51434543
red is used for raid , green is the "enviromental option" , and blue is the "business user" , if you raid use red , if you want longevity use blue , if you have no money use green , black is the speedy option and should also last 5 years (red blue and black are 5 year warranty , the green is 3)
>>
Linux Babby here - I installed Telegram on Xubuntu, how do I create a shortcut in the application launcher?
>>
>>51434837
not him but mech keyboard means absolutely nothing for gaming ...also the mech keyboard is all about the "feel" typing is more gratifying because of the cliking and tactile feel , also most of them have a steel backplate which makes the keyboard more robust and it can last longer than the rubber key keyboards ...all of that is good but i personally don't think that justifys the pricetag that comes with it
>>
>>51435401
GPU overclocking is never worth it , most of them work at almost max speeds and if you do OC the difference is maybe 1 or 2 FPS ,

that GPU could last a few more years , depending on the VRAM size never games will demand
>>
>>51435448
>>51435458
hivemind
>>
File: Unbenannt.jpg (85 KB, 1204x609) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.jpg
85 KB, 1204x609
Tear me a new one, /g/.
First time assembling a PC myself, could use some criticism. Especially regarding PSU and mobo.
Re-using my old HDDs, so just the SSD.

>inb4 lol 970
I've learned to hate Radeon with a passion over the last years, so I'm trying something new.
>>
>>51435481
thanks
>>
Guys, what good unarchivers for windows do you know? I mostly use 7-Zip, but its user interface looks very much from 2005 and it sucks at drag-and-dropping (first decompresses archive to a temp directory, then copies it whenever it was asked to - why?). I don't need all-embracing support for archive formats, I'd be fine with the most popular ones. Also, I don't care about compressing to anything other than good old zip.
>>
>>51435865
>i7-6700k
You probably don't even need an i7. Switch to an i5-6600k and put that $100 towards a better graphics card
>Cooler Master MEME
You can get a better, quieter cooler for 34 euros.
>DDR4-2133
Believe it or not, the memory speed on Skylakes does affect performance moreso than Haswell and almost on the level of AMD APUs. Invest in faster RAM, DDR4-2800 is the sweet spot right now.
>only 250GB
>spending 80+ euros on it
Buy a Crucial BX100, an OCZ ARC 100, or anything cheaper. You can find perfectly good 240-256GB SSDs for 60 Euros now.
>GTX 970
Swap out for a 980.
>be quiet! Silent Base 600
You did alright there, but the case is pretty tall for a mid tower.
>>
File: 1443647060535.jpg (355 KB, 704x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443647060535.jpg
355 KB, 704x1024
I installed Clockwork Mode on my android phone. The CWM-based recovery screen works, but I don't have any root access, SuperSU just tells me there's no root. What the fuck did I did wrong?
>>
I have a shitty x86 windows 8.1 tablet with a wacom digitizer.

I can't install anything but 8.1/10 on it so I wanted to use it as a digital tablet with my PC. There's an application called VirtualTablet on the windows store that achieves what I want, over wifi.

I know now that by using something like gfxtablet on linux (while using not a windows tablet, but an android one), if you put your android device in tethering mode you can use your tablet this way through USB cable instead of wifi, which is more convenient.

Is there any way to enable USB tethering on Windows 8.1 the same way I would do on a phone/android tablet?
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (2 KB, 67x57) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
2 KB, 67x57
Why does my Spotify look like this when I hover over it?
>>
>>51436195
Sorry for retarded wording, I mean the (2).
>>
>>51436195
right click > right click spotify > properties > general > remove the (2) from the shortcut name
>>
How do I set up a div so that it goes ontop of another div and not pushed under it
>>
>>51436106
Thanks for the insight.
Since using photoshop/lightroom and various vms quite often, I thought i7 would be the way to go. If you'd say an i5 is enough, I'm fine with that.
Any thougths on the motherboard/PSU? I've got a lot more fear about going wrong with either of them, than CPU/GPU. Don't know why though.
>>
>>51436233
I do and it asks me to rename it to Spotify (3) since one already has that file name in the app data folder. I tried to set the task-bar shortcut from the program in the folder, but it sill has the (2) above it, even though when I right-click that one, it doesn't have (2) in the shortcut properties.
>>
>>51436111
Did you actually flash SuperSU or did you just install the app from the Play Store?
>>
So you know those DIY builds on newegg? Are the reasonable ones worth it?

I know I could probably get the same prices by searching with parts that are all discounted plus rebates but DIY seems like a decent deal, especially since you can also do rebates on the parts.

So has anyone had any problems with buying a newegg DIY build?
>>
>>51430483
so what do i do /g/?

>mess around with atmega
>learn OpenCV in C
>learn x86 Assembly
>learn java (no previous experience) through android development
>>
What does it mean when a post ends with

t. Blah blah blah

What does the t. mean? I see it on lots of boards
>>
So a while ago I can hide window decorations in openbox by pressing windows + alt + d, now that I reinstalled a new distro, I forgot what software I was it. Can anyone help?
>>
How do I rip an iCloud account? I have account name and password just need to know how to get stuff off of it.
>>
>>51436636
Probably some old meme that even oldfags don't remember but still post to feel l33t.
>>
>>51436416
From play store. Do I need to flash a supersu zip to make it work?
>>
>>51436706
Sure do.
>>
I'm looking for a phone to buy on sale for black friday, all I need is something that has android and isn't painfully slow, and around a hundred dollars or less, any suggestions?
>>
File: Untitled..png (673 KB, 856x483) Image search: [Google]
Untitled..png
673 KB, 856x483
What program is this?
>>
File: Untitled...png (530 KB, 856x468) Image search: [Google]
Untitled...png
530 KB, 856x468
>>51436833
>>
can someone tell me why my RAM and motherboard are incompatible?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8mGTK8
>>
>>51434057
WAV is also a container format, the audio codec you're probably thinking of is raw PCM (yes, wav supports other codecs, inlcuding a couple lossy/compressed ones), so it's just as incorrect to call WAV lossless and uncompressed
>>
Is Noctua NH-D15 good?
>>
>>51434168
because it supports depths/rates/channel counts higher than what cd's use as well
>>
File: test.png (7 KB, 379x177) Image search: [Google]
test.png
7 KB, 379x177
Could somebody explain what goes on outside of main with that variable declaration?

What makes it unaffected by the code inside of main?
>>
>>51436833
>>51436848
https://vimeo.com/140056154
middle of video
>>
>>51436860
That RAM is ECC, which is not supported by most motherboards unless otherwise noted. I don't think the H170 chipset ever supported ECC RAM. You might need to look at B150 or Q170 boards to use that, but they're only compatible with i3 and Pentiums installed on the motherboard. The enterprise chipset for Xeon processors will all support ECC out fo the box.
>>
File: clock-boy-costume1.jpg (21 KB, 640x373) Image search: [Google]
clock-boy-costume1.jpg
21 KB, 640x373
>>51434434
>>51435556
I want free stuff too, but I'm not part of a minority, so I won't be able to scream "muh rayseason" and gey free stuf.

Anyway, nobody has answered me yet
>>51433199
>>
>>51436718
Thank you anon, now it's working.
>>
>>51436918
nvm
found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skMTBKeZ858
>>
>>51435667
I mean, all of that sounds good to me. I was very annoyed when I realized I had used up the rubber thing under two of my Keys and now they're not coming back.

But you're right. Some of these Keyboards are costing up to 200€ and it is hard to justify that, even if I use it every day for hours.
>>
>>51430539
His kneejerk reaction results in him throwing the torch down and towards him, hitting his left foot.

Upon impact, he leaps up. He probably has some burn damage, but no death.
>>
I want to make a home server that I can use as a seedbox and game server. Can I have the seedbox part of it on a VPN while the game part isn't?
>>
>>51435129
Go for red.
>>
Is anyone like me not being able to update windows 10 to the new threshold 2 build? It keeps saying my system is up to date, but it isn't. Will I get the new update at some point or will I have to force it?
I'm on the pro version btw
>>
CPU overheats and causes any game I play to crash as soon as it reaches 80+ degrees.
I've hoovered my pc and reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, but the temperature is still lingering around 40 degrees.
help.
>>
Is your IP visible on Steam?
>>
>>51437139
By anyone? No.
By Valve? I would imagine so.
>>
can i trust the compatiblity information from pcpartpicker? it shows some ram-motherboard compatibilites which aren't listed in my motherboards qualified memory list.
>>
>>51437128
Using stock manufacturer fan? Lel
>>
Is anyone else having trouble with Ixquick? It's going at turtle speed.
>>
>>51437128
Just tested csgo after reapplying thermal paste, and im still getting 70+ degrees, surely something is wrong here

>>51437217
you really reckon that's the main issue?
>>
>>51431720
looks to me like her sign is really working out for her.
>>
>>51437165
Personally I've never had problems with ram compatibility as I've never used an extremely overclocked stick for example. And I don't think you're buying something that needs more than the standard voltage as well.
What's listed on your motherboard qualified list is what they've actually tried on it, but there's no reason to believe another stick wouldn't work.
>>
File: Untitled.png (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
275 KB, 1920x1080
How many GB does windows 10 Take up? I'm trying to clear out some space for the update for windows 10 and need 6 GB for the update. I need help. pic related.

If there are some useless files I can remove please tell.
>>
>>51437273
Yes. Buy a cheap cooler, and it will still be better than the stock one. A hyper 212 evo will suffice.
>>
>>51437341
A clean install should be something like 14 GB iirc. Before going with Ccleaner, try using the built-in feature of cleaning, right click on C: -> Properties -> cleanup.
>>
>>51436833
looks like Spinrite or something similar.
>>
File: 1442444845986.jpg (71 KB, 567x564) Image search: [Google]
1442444845986.jpg
71 KB, 567x564
Any OSX bro: my XCode installation through the App Store keeps getting hung. I have dev tools installed and can access them through terminal (though I haven't tried building any package yet).

1) Do I need XCode to build projects?
2) Do I need the latest update or whatever to install XCode through App store?
>>
>>51437341
my win10 folder is 16.5 GB
>>
Stupid question here.
>>51437612
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 640x760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 640x760
My laptop died just in time for Black Friday, are there ever good deals on gaming rigs this time of year?

I travel a lot so my laptop is my primary computer.
>>
how do I catch/sniff a streaming audio?
i need this stupid track: http://www.rockit.it/ecalcutta/canzone/dal-verme/239305
>>
what do they mean when they say 'you bought the reference version'?
>>
I need either a short usb-c to micro-b cable (as short as possible, under 30cm) or male to male c to micro-b adapter, but i cant find one on either ebay or amazon. can anyone help? im outside the us so it needs to be able to ship internationally.
>>
>>51438157
Normally, I'd just use ABP and search for blockable mp3s but I can't seem to download that one. You could generate the song by farting into a microphone and adding a drum loop.
>>
I print images out in Windows usually several on a single sheet, anywhere from 3-9 per page, but the default windows print pictures selection only gives you predefined sizes. 8x10, 3.2 x 5, wallet size, ect. I mean what if I want to print something like 2.5 x 3.5 instead of 3.2 x 5?

What program, or what do I need to do if I want to multiple pictures on a single page at a user defined size?
>>
>>51438186
It means you are stupid enough to pay more for the same thing.
>>
R9 380/380x (4GB) or GTX 960 (4GB)?
>>
>>51438208
kek

thanks anyway
>>
I have to set up a web server, a DHCP server, an email server, and a DNS server. I was wondering which Linux distro would make this the easiest since my professor said that it would be easier to do this with Windows. I was thinking maybe OpenSUSE, but I don't know. Any tips?
>>
>>51438235
In case you figure out how to crack it, the song is here:
http://ww2.rockit.it/7mp3/28842/
number 239305.
>>
>>51438259
>being ``that'' guy
>>
>>51438265
>>51438157
http://ww2.rockit.it/7mp3/28842/239305.mp3
>>
File: Untitled.png (142 KB, 1525x994) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
142 KB, 1525x994
>>51438303
>>51438265
btw you have to have the referrer set to http://www.rockit.it/ecalcutta/canzone/dal-verme/239305
>>
Corsair 300r or HAF 912
ASUS Z97-A OR GB-Z97X-UD3H-BK?
>>
>>51438265
>>51438303
yeah, i looked onto it before.
Cant save it as .mp3, just .html
so dumb
>>
>>51438233
Performance: 380x > 380 > 960
So buy according to that at the same price.
>>
File: Baldrick.jpg (29 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Baldrick.jpg
29 KB, 200x200
>>51438322
Damn, that's cunning.
>>
>>51437226
same with startpage
>>
>>51438333
Thought I could actually figure it out for you quickly/easily but no luck.

Easy/poorfag way of getting that file is to record it using audacity
>>
>>51438462
>>51438333
lele then I get it next try, used wrong post data
 wget --referer http://www.rockit.it/ecalcutta/canzone/dal-verme/239305 --post-data='rockitID=1409bf24b4ec65275291d1ab1d4bc06d' http://ww2.rockit.it/7mp3/28842/239305.mp3

This will download your file.

Enjoy :)
>>
http://104.236.66.18/yoursong.mp3
>>
Looking to build a PC.

What are some good benchmarks that compare CPUs and GPUs?

Mainly looking for some objective data about Fury X in comparison to 980 TI and other nVidia cards.
>>
>>51438476
wow, thanks.

Maybe I need to post this in the Supreme Mongoloid Questions Thread, but, how do I use the "wget" command on botnet windows?
>>
File: controller.png (162 KB, 1096x739) Image search: [Google]
controller.png
162 KB, 1096x739
I've been trying to get an xbox one controller working with my windows 8 pc and it just won't work. The automatically search for drivers doesn't work and i can not find any place to download the drivers and install them manually. Can anyone help? Device manager doesn't show it as xbox one controller but instead an unlisted controller
>>
>>51438570
I figured you might have this question so I uploaded the file to my own websight >>51438496

You should be able to right click that and go to save as.

However, to answer the question in your post: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
You can get wget here as a standalone program (extract it, then open a command prompt to where you have extracted it to)

OR you can install cygwin and get wget from there. I am embarrassed to say that I don't really know any of the Windows download tools despite using Windows at the moment so I just went with what I knew: wget
>>
If I want to use a hard drive for recording random nvidia shadowplay stuff does it matter where my temporary files are?

Would it work better if I put both temp and save location to my external HDD?

Or would it not matter whatsoever, I don't have a HDD so my external and internal HDD are basically just as bad as eachother
>>
>>51438584
I know this will sound stupid, but have you tried plugging it into a different USB port to see if it works there?
>>
I currently have 4gb of RAM (2x2gb).
I want to upgrade my total RAM to 8gb or more.
Can I get another pair of RAM (e.g. 2x4gb) and run that along my current sticks?
>>
>>51438622
Yeah i also tried a different cord and a different xbox one controller
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.