[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with neo-luddites like the person in pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: phonerads.jpg (73 KB, 626x266) Image search: [Google]
phonerads.jpg
73 KB, 626x266
How do you deal with neo-luddites like the person in pic related when you encounter them in real life? Do you try to educate/convince them or do you just leave them be so that they can continue to wallow in their own ignorance?
>>
>>51414043
If you interact with people like this you must be some kind of lower middle class mutt. Get a job and start hanging out with better people you scum.
>>
>>51414058
>get a job
normie get out, this is a NEET board.
>>
>>51414058
I mean, I don't personally know who that person is, I was just looking through the comments section of some pseudo-scientific fear-mongering "article" about harmful cell phone radiation for entertainment purposes only but I had to stop.. Comments like this idiot's were beginning to rustle me. I know that I've had the misfortune of randomly meeting people like this girl before and I just wondered what the proper protocol in that situation was. I'm assuming that the best course of action is to just disengage yourself from the conversation as quickly as possible and then try to avoid that person from then on.
>>
>>51414043
point out that their kidneys are actually slightly inferior to their ribcage and that if they actually had their phone there, that they're probably circus clown freaks.
>>
She isn't a luddite, just an idiot.
>>
>>51414108
>I was just looking through the comments section of some pseudo-scientific fear-mongering "article"
This is why you will always be a failure.
>>
>>51414141
okay
>>
>>51414043
Its not real

getting radiation poisoning from your phone is not fucking real

you get more radiation from flying in a plane, or using a hair drier, or looking at the TV, or going outside like holy fuck these people are the biggest retards
>>
Does she just collapse in pain in any place with public Wifi?
>>
>>51414204
>the real question here
>>
Microwave ovens use the same resonant frequency as water to heat food. I'm not entirely sure what that frequency is, but some very smart people figured that out well before I was born. I'm not entirely convinced man made radio waves have zero effect on humans, but I do know you can't fry bacon with cellphones and wifi.
>>
>>51414221
microwaves were discovered upon accident believe it or not.

Microwaves literally happen to have a frequency that resonates with water very well.
>>
>>51414043
>And to anyone who says that it's not scientific.
>Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation.

So X=105. Therefore c=299,792,458 m/s.
Water is wet.

How scientific.
>>
Don't even bother, OP. You can never argue with a Dunning-Kruger moron.

There are still entire communities of people who think the earth is flat. They have their little circlejerk sessions on YouTube and online forums, where they talk about de illerminaty and how we're all brainwashed for thinking that the earth is round. Never underestimate human capacity for stupidity.
>>
File: 712364289.png (118 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
712364289.png
118 KB, 450x320
>>51414043
>And to anyone who says that it's not scientific...have you heard of radio waves? Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation. Wifi is from radio waves.
>>
>>51414221
>I'm not entirely convinced man made radio waves have zero effect on humans
Do E = hf for radio waves and note how low the energy is.
>>
>>51414043
Prove her wrong

Oh wait, you can't
>>
>>51414423
I don't need to prove her wrong that her mild phone radiation isn't strong enough to cause any ill effects.

If she was getting sick off of cell phone radiation, the moment she goes outside she'd be having even worse problems.
>>
>>51414423
Humans aren't nearly good enough conductors for the electromagnetic field of a radio wave to induce a current (like in an antenna) and radio waves don't carry nearly enough energy to ionize you.
>>
>>51414300
>E = hf

h=m and f=c^2 right?
>>
>>51414300
I know I'm not going to be fried if that's what you thought I was thinking.
>>
>>51414423
Hoi i'm a scooooience!!
Light is liiiiike photons and wavy stoooof.
There4 SCOIENCE HAPEN.
PrOOF wrong, u can't.

Dang you sure showed everyone.
>>
>>51414450
I hope you're not serious. h is planck's constant and f is the frequency.

>>51414454
So what leaves you unconvinced? Radio waves obviously don't induce a current in you.
>>
>>51414492
thats the formula for the energy of radiation
>>
>>51414504
Yes and that's why we having ionizing and nonionizing radiation.
>>
>>51414492
It's a natural phenomenon that existed long before humans were a thing, and we're fucking around with it.
>>
>>51414492
>I hope you're not serious. h is planck's constant and f is the frequency.
yes he is serious thats how you calculate for the energy of a photon at a given frequency, the higher the frequency the more energy it has

Higher frequency radiation has more energy

Humans are pretty immune to anything from the visible light spectrum and down

UV and up can cause harm such as sun burn
>>
>>51414547
Okay buddy. I wonder how you function knowing that the earth's magnetic field is multiple orders of magnitude stronger than anything your cellphone or whatever emits. Also your lightbulb has more energy in its radiation than the radio.

>>51414566
Yes, but h!=m and f!=c^2 because a photon doesn't have mass. The full equation is actually E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4.
>>
>>51414632
Right, we don't calculate the energy of a photon based on mass so we used the frequency and content that plank's constant provides.
>>
>>51414997
That's usually the easy way to do it.
>>
Not even trying to start an age war but I'd be glad if that were the extent of the neo-ludditry I have to deal with. 80s shits and mainframe fags are the fucking worst

>Did you get my e-mail?
>BACK IN MY DAY, ANON, WE HAD TO LOG INTO A THING CALLED A MAINFRAME
>Yes I know, and times have changed. Did you get the e-mail?
>IMAGINE HAVING TO LOG INTO THE SAME MACHINE EVERYONE ELSE IS USING....
>Yes I know it was called timesharing computing and things have changed since they got cheaper. E-mail?
>gets all pissed off I know about it
>UR JUST A KID KID KID ETC
>>
>how do you deal with people who think EMF is real

it is real but unless you are getting radio burns I couldn't really give a fuck. its the folk who are all, 'no no, thats impossible' that piss me off.
>>
>>51414058
>>
>>51414247
>microwaves were discovered upon accident believe it or not.
the concept of using high-energy microwaves to heat food was discovered by accident

microwaves were being used for other things at the time
>>
>>51414043
I tell them that I never heard of such a thing, but pretend to be empathic. It just doesn't matter, I don't need to educate them, as I don't give a shit about what they do with their lives. It's a different matter if those attitudes affect me or others negatively. Luckily, that never happened to me.
>>
File: radiation.png (87 KB, 1134x1333) Image search: [Google]
radiation.png
87 KB, 1134x1333
>>51414423
Yes I can, with something called scientific fact.
>>
>>51414632
I take it you're unfamiliar with HAARP. That's cool. Keep thinking our interaction with radiowaves is completely harmless though.
>>
>>51416983
What is the scientific fact here? Radio waves don't interact with matter? They absolutely do. Of course it's highly unlikely that they cause something like kidney pain, but it's pretty much impossible to rigorously show that it is physically impossible. Of course there are lots of studies showing that radio waves don't interfere with biological function and so forth, but as if people like OP's picture give a shit about those statistics.
>>
>>51416983
But what about all those people with a banana phone
>>
File: Dog telling you really....jpg (191 KB, 970x617) Image search: [Google]
Dog telling you really....jpg
191 KB, 970x617
>>51417063
Take that person.

Blast a room with 5 times more EM then that phone produce ever in it's life.

Blast the room with 0 EM and actually have it shielded.

Invite person into room 10 times an ask how they feel.

100% of the cases that did this concluded.

These people are deluded.
>>
>>51414058
>>51414108
>>51414130
>>51414134
>>51414141
>>51414177
>>51414203
>>51414204
>>51414221
>>51414263
>>51414285
None of you can say with absolute certainty because there does not exist any proof for either side of the argument.

So all of you sound ignorant.

I didn't expect much from a board full of programmers, cooks and NEETs.

Remember, a programmer isn't a scientist. They are usually white, middle class wannabe know-it-alls.
>>
File: 1439115130252.png (204 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1439115130252.png
204 KB, 800x750
>>51417118
>Post proof
>You can't prove anything!
Such is life on /g/
>>
>>51417092
They are, but why should I care? Just leave them be. I couldn't be bothered educating people that obviously don't like to be educated.
>>
>>51417118
Have you fried bacon with cellphones and wifi? It would be a neat trick I would like to see.
>>
>>51414221
You can't fry bacon with a microwave oven either, just make it a little warmer.
>>
>>51417140
Because even "supposedly" smart people like Bill Maher go on live TV and say they don't use microwaves.

https://youtu.be/bDOArHvBXOs?t=4m5s

Now okay he could have refereed to TV Dinners or something like them cooking unevenly and whatnot. But okay even if you don't cook in them reheating cooked food is perfectly safe. But since it put it so straight and hes a liberal hippie I'll assume hes referring to the radiation.

>>51417182
Well obviously microwaves don't actually cook food in the traditional sense they a Faraday cage where EM actively interferes and produces heat by exciting water molecules. They're effectually steaming food from the inside. You're not gonna char anything in a microwave any time soon.
>>
>>51417140
This whenever someone i know says something like microwaves kill ppl and shit i just turn my head around and cut all contacts whit them. They will never change their minds and never want to be educated about the subject.
>>
It's called the nocebo effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hO4_UEe-4&
>>
>>51417118
That's not how logic works. Studies have shown that WiFi has no adverse effects on humans. The burden of proof is on anyone who claims otherwise. If WiFi actually caused issues with some people, why is it that they only respond to LED indicators and not the actual waves themselves?
>>
>>51417343
>nocebo
why did they make up a new term when placebo is exactly what is being described
>>
>>51414043

Physical violence
>>
>microwaves excite water

this is all you need to know to realise radio waves -must- have some effect. saying there are no known adverse effects is fine but there is a difference between long term exposure to something and 'can you feel this?' in a trial.

plus in some places with old busted transformers plants just die in a circular-ish radius around said device. no effect is wishful thinking at best.

I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>51417396
Well because it describes a negative effect rather than a positive one.
>>
>>51417396
It's sightly different. With the placebo effect, your body effectively removes the effects while the cause still exists. The nocebo effect is just the opposite in that the cause does not actually exist but the effects are still real.
They are still the same in that cause does not lead to the correlated effect, though.
>>
>>51417421
I don't believe anybody questions that radio waves have some effect on matter. If you actually believe that you are beyond deluded. The thing is just that humans don't seem to react in biological manner. That's all.
>>
>>51417396
Fuck off luddite
>>
>>51417421
They might have some kind of effect; no one knows enough yet to say. What we can hopefully all agree on, though, is that the woman in OP's picture is a fool for basing her entire way of living on what can only be described as pseudo-science.
>>
>>51414043
What I'd like to do is slap a bitch.

What I should do is calmly explain to her how dumb she sounds

What I would do is walk away because I'm an antisocial recluse who hates people.
>>
>>51414423
Even if that was true, which it's not, that's not how it works

The person making initial or ridiculous claim has to provide proof
>>
>>51417118
We can say for pretty much certainty because the power output of cellphones is really low and we spend our entire lives being bombarded with electromagnetic radiation.

The thing we really can't account for are people's brains. The brain is an amazing thing that can make up sensory input because it is a faggot.
>>
>>51414079
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51417396
as a placebo for placebo
>>
I get a good laugh at it. I always leave them be.

This one guy I know only buys games which his hardware reaches the recommended specifications. Currently there is a few titles like Fallout 4 for example which he cannot buy to play because he believes the game literally will not run with hardware that's any less than the minimum recommend specifications. He even ejects USB memory cards and SD cards.
>>
>>51414043
>How do you deal with neo-luddites like the person in pic

I don't, I refuse to do.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.