[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despite the sjw bullshit I'm pretty interested in contributing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: unix.png (13 KB, 325x260) Image search: [Google]
unix.png
13 KB, 325x260
Despite the sjw bullshit I'm pretty interested in contributing to the linux kernel. I've been through lfs already and I'm currently reading understanding the linux kernel and I've done some freestanding os dev using bochs so I'm not totally new but I am wondering if there's a distribution anywhere that's recommended for kernel development.
Ideally it would be something with the absolute minimal code to run the kernel and support a terminal. Nothing else.
I have a tough time with lfs because you just install hundreds of packages with very little explanation on how they fit together, what they do and what the dependancies are.
Also I find it hard to work out exactly what is in the kernel and what's not so I'd like to setup something as close to kernel only as I can. So I can experience first hand what I do and don't have available, and tweak things with the knowledge of what precisely is going on.
Any suggestions?
>>
File: you die.png (142 KB, 313x382) Image search: [Google]
you die.png
142 KB, 313x382
>SJW

Learn to talk like a functioning member of society before posting to /g/, /v/-kun
>>
>>51412904
>I am wondering if there's a distribution anywhere that's recommended for kernel development.
Not really. You don't need any specific distribution at all, you can just use whatever you like.

>Ideally it would be something with the absolute minimal code to run the kernel and support a terminal. Nothing else.
Why? What does that gain you? You want your full development powers available.

>So I can experience first hand what I do and don't have available, and tweak things with the knowledge of what precisely is going on.
Running a barebones distro has absolutely nothing to do with that. The real difference is between kernel mode and user mode code, how featureful your userland is has no bearing whatsoever on what goes on in the kernel.

tl;dr forget about this concept as it is silly. Use whatever distro you feel comfortable with for practical everyday use, build and run your own kernel, and hack on that. Or you can test in VMs, if you prefer. Don't try to limit your userland, it's a pointless exercise.

The limited-userland thing may be useful if you're interested in studying how it all hangs together (what LFS is there to teach, more or less), but that has nothing to do with kernel dev.
>>
what sjw bullshit
>>
>>51412941

Reddit please.
>>
>>51412941
please kill yourself...
>>
>>51413000
seriously i don't keep up with this bullshit, someone fill me in
>>
>>51413077
Nothing really. Feminists with funny colored hair say it is a women hating environment because Linus doesn't spare people's feelings when they fucking up.
>>
Greg uses arch+gnome+i3 and he's the maintainer of the largest subsystem.
I would suggest to compile your own kernel first, the default is bolted to provide support but you can compile for your machine specifically.
>>
>>51413306
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2ny1lz/im_greg_kroahhartman_linux_kernel_developer_ama/

His Ama if you're interested
>>
>>51412941
He's never read the kernel mailing list.
>>
>>51412996
Well I suppose it is a pointless task but I'm really not interested in doing anything useful. I just get a kick out of it and I figured running the kernel with absolutely nothing else would be a good way to learn.
I was kinda interested in writing a shell for it eventually but I'd worry about accidently making dependancies of non kernel stuff do I figured a blank slate would be a useful base for stuff like that.
>>
>>51413982
I realize I'm kinda contradicting my original post as I would like to get into kernel dev and not just write a shell. Not seriously as a full time thing but just to tinker and maybe make a few contributions to something other than documentation or changing variable names to be less problematic.
>>
>>51413356
Okay that's cool. Nice one
Feels a bit weird going on reddit but it's for a good cause.
>>
>>51412904
What's going on with the SJWs?
>>
>>51414198

read:
>>51413116
>>
>/efi/boot/bootx64.efi root=/dev/sda1 init="/bin/busybox sh"

You need literally 2 files. Don't even need a bootloader just use your uefi boot menu.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.