[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i dont know how to program should I learn C with this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: cpro.png (150 KB, 2000x2810) Image search: [Google]
cpro.png
150 KB, 2000x2810
i dont know how to program

should I learn C with this book?
>>
>>51403547
Don't start with C

Ignore all /g/ advice other than this. This is the worst place to come for beginner advice.
>>
>>51403547
your first programming language should be lisp
>>
>>51403557

i study electrical engineering though
>>
File: 1445395990448.jpg (206 KB, 763x789) Image search: [Google]
1445395990448.jpg
206 KB, 763x789
>>51403547
>>
>>51403572
Learn (V)HDL
>>
>>51403558
>>51403572
i study electrical engineering too. C gives you a very deep insight at how memory and cpu works.
>>
/r/learnprogramming
>>
>>51403572
Then learn Java and work with arduinos
>>
File: 14333477440710.gif (2 MB, 268x206) Image search: [Google]
14333477440710.gif
2 MB, 268x206
Learn (Delphi) Pascal.

Or don't.

Whatever.
>>
>>51403547
People will either tell you to start with
Lisp
C/C++
Python

Truth is, nobody knows what's best and it probably heavily depends on your current skill level, where you want to go and how you like to learn.

I started with C/C++ and I think it was the right decision, even though it was not up to me. It's much more low level (depending on how you code) than Python and gives you a rough understanding about how computers operate. It's quite rewarding to really program in the more original sense. Python isn't really programming in the same way. The rule with C is, the more you understand how the computer works, the more efficient your code. The rule with Python is, the more you understand how it's specifically implemented, the more efficient your code. And I really hate trying to look through other people's shit. You don't really tell your computer what to do with Python, it's much more removed from that idea.

Lisp is something I barely have experience with, but I guess it's something for people more interested in more theoretical aspects of computer science. Never heard of anyone actually programming in Lisp. But I guess it's interesting to see how functional programming works.
>>
File: 177.jpg (54 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
177.jpg
54 KB, 500x357
>>51403547
go with c++ or haskel, both are industry standards
>>
C or python, C if you want a serious start, python if you want a lazy start or find C too hard.

learning either one will make learning the other easier, except C's pointers and memory management concepts.
>>
>>51403575
I fucking hated that when I had to use it. Work made us all take basic programming training, so they decided to use that.
>>
so basically if I dont want to be a pleb I should start with C?
>>
Don't start with C, OP. Start off with something to teach you the basics, like python, javascript, or you can drop into something useful like C#. Just don't do C until you understand all the concepts.
>>
>>51403713
Fuck no. You work up to C.
>>
>>51403654
its atmost 2016 anon.
>>
>>51403713
C is not as much pleb as c++ but still a pleb tier, try asm for complete autism free language
>>
>>51403694

> or find C too hard

And how is C hard? It seems pretty straightforward and simple.
>>
What are some good books for those who want to learn how to program from 0?
>>
>>51403748

working with pointers and linked lists can be pretty confusing and put off a total beginner, plus working with memory as a beginner can lead to many risks.

first thing a beginner coder should learn is knowing what its like to write a full project and the logic of actually writing something that comes to your mind, so therefore starting off with something like python would be good.

a beginner could read the K&R and still wont know how to program something if told to write something out of the blue

im not doubting C at all, alot of people start with it, but alot of people dont have the same mindset and something easier is much more pleasant then they can work their way up to C.
>>
>>51403796
Pointers aren't too hard in C++, but I see your point. OP just shouldn't deal with that just yet if he's a complete noob. I say he should start off with either python or C#/Java.
>>
>>51403683
>industry standards

Is the term "industry standard" an industry standard?
>>
>>51403796
>im not doubting C at all, alot of people start with it, but alot of people dont have the same mindset and something easier is much more pleasant then they can work their way up to C.
That's the whole point, everybody works differently with these things. Don't pretend that C is so obviously the wrong choice for beginners, it's really up to individual preference. The basics are not really that difficult to grasp.
>>
Yes, C is fine for beginners and that book is fairly simple in terms of how they explain concepts, no assumed knowledge. If you read it from start to end should have a fairly good understanding.

Just make sure you actually practice and apply new concepts when you learn them instead of racing through the book.
>>
I started with Python, worked my way to C/C++.

I found the instant gratification of writing programs that simply run very helpful in the early stages of learning. I think Python teaches you how to structure large programs by freeing you from the underlying concepts. When I was comfortable I moved to lower level languages.

You need to learn about both. I think if I had just dived into C I would have felt in over my head. I was a complete computer noobie, not having grown up with them.

Just offering my personal experience as most here seem to have started with low-level.
>>
I started with C++ and its basics. When I moved to University I used JAVA and I found it an easy transition seeing as both are object oriented. I would say that C/C++ are both good starting languages as they both have a similar and simple syntax that lets you adapt to other non object oriented languages such as Python(Great language to know).
>>
>>51403557
>don't start with C
Why not? What's so bad about C? It's one of the smallest languages and will teach you more about hardware.
>>
C is fine

Learn C the hard way is also an excellent way to learn.
>>
>>51403557
This is incorrect. C is the most influential, and arguably the most widely used language. It is fucking everywhere and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It is the foundation of modern programming. If you only ever learn one language C is the one to go with. It will force you to think like a programmer. Picking up most other languages later is trivial;picking up C after you've learned an 'easier' language is not, as the damage will already be done.

Also C isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It can be but only if you pick up bad habits along the way.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.