[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to upgrade my i5 2500k to Skylake, is it worth it? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1430496593786.jpg (84 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1430496593786.jpg
84 KB, 531x471
I want to upgrade my i5 2500k to Skylake, is it worth it?

I really need a new motherboard with more SATA ports (current one got 4) and I can't use 8GB memory with my 980 TI so if I'm getting 16GB, I might as well get DDR4 which isn't supported for my current mobo.

Wat do?
>>
no, it's not worth it but you seem convinced to do it either way so i don't think you will listen. i think you just want to get shiny new parts
>>
>>51397390

>is it worth it?
No
>need a new motherboard with more SATA ports (current one got 4)
Why do you need more than 4?
>I can't use 8GB memory with my 980 TI
wat
>>
>>51397390

>worth it?
Nope.

>Wat do?
Dindu.
>>
>>51397616
>Why do you need more than 4?
You for real?
>>
>>51397616
>wat

yeah you need 10-12 GB of ram to take advantage of 980 TI, 8GB isn't enough.

>Why do you need more than 4?
i have 6 hard drives now but i dont use them regularly but it's nice to have more sata ports for backing up every hard drive or using RAID

>>51397493
not really, i've used this build for 5 years now. i have money to upgrade my build but everything seems to be shit besides gpu
>>
Pcie sata card and more ram?
>>
>>51397390
>he fell for the "k" varient meme
>he actualy gave his shekels to a company which went out of its way to kek its customers
>he now wants to give that same company MORE of his money

i don't even...

>30% increase in price
>for a 0-5% possible increase in performance
>k varient intel cpus
>the way it's meant to be kucked.
>>
>>51398026
are you implying 2500k is shit
>>
>>51398046
Yes
>>
>>51398156
bulldozer is so good right
>>
>>51397390
> I really need a new motherboard with more SATA ports (current one got 4)
And I bet you're running Windows on that too.

Get PCI SATA controller cards to deck out your storage, and run BSD or Linux on your storage box NAS machine, faggot.
>>
>>51398193
mobo is cheaper
cpu is cheaper
performs the same for gaymen
performs even better for games that actually know how to optimize for moar coars
doesn't force you to pay 30% more for a POSSIBLE 0-5% performance increase

bulldozer is fucking godtier compared to this shit. not even mentioning piledriver aka excavator.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.