[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Papyros when?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: papyros-laptop.png (151 KB, 1974x1147) Image search: [Google]
papyros-laptop.png
151 KB, 1974x1147
Who's excited for the landing of the best Linux distro in over a decade? 87% done so not long until an Alpha lads. Why use Papyros?

>Based on Arch Linux so you'll have rock solid reliability and rolling release updates
>Implements Google's beautiful 'Material Design' specification
>Has intelligent notifications and is completely customisable
>User account restrictions, application sandboxing and eventually convergance
>Great integration with Web Applications
>A cross platform application framework

Will you use Papyros when released? Papyros.io
>>
Looks terrible.
>>
File: d5c.jpg (36 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
36 KB, 625x626
>rock solid reliability
>>
Hmm. Are there any other OS'es that look like this?
>>
>>51394793
ChromeOS looks like this slightly.. not exactly a fully featured OS however..
>>
>>51394562
>Based on Arch Linux so you'll have rock solid reliability
Is this a joke
>>
Why make this? Really, why? Do we really need another distro 10 people will use?
>>
>>51394817
More and more, though, it is becoming that.

The whole App Runtime for Chrome lets you run Android apps in Chrome OS. I use it for quite a few apps.
>>
>>51394847
>Why
>Do we
>10 people
do you care, you stupid retarded faggot?
>>
>>51394847
It will convert people to Linux with how pretty it is.
>>
>>51394562
Great, another Apricity. Why not fork Ubuntu or something if you want to offer an "it just werks" distro with web apps and a skin?
>>
>>51394562
Part of me likes the material design

But another part of me is disgusted. It reminds me of the botnet, like my freedoms are being violated. I don't wanna feel like that on linux.
>>
As soon as someone tried to create a usable distro that doesn't look like shit, you fucking autists start crying about stupid things. I swear, someone should fucking burn you slowly, let it heal and do this 20x a row and then kill you with fucking electro shocks you god damn weeaboo neckbeards.
>>
>>51394562
>arch linux
>rock solid reliability
do you even know what any of the words you've used means or are you just picking random ones
>>
Absolutely disgusting.
Nothing will ever pry Debian testing from my kung fu grip, least of all Arch wading in a technicolour puddle of vomit.

>>51394981
There are plenty of distros that don't look like shit. This isn't one of them.
>>
what's the most user friendly and easiest linux OS to get into as a windows user?
>>
>87% done
What is the point in these numbers?
It is impossible to know the completeness of a project of this size as simple stuff can explode while other stuff can turn out to be easier to make but in the end a project like that can never really reach 100% so why even bother with comming up with these numbers?
>>
>>51395054
Ubuntu
>>
>>51395038
>There are plenty of distros that don't look like shit. This isn't one of them.
shut the fuck up you mentally ill 14y old weebfagging nigger. go fap to chinese cartoons
>>
>>51394562
why cant the linux developors work togather.. ? it means its 2015.
>>
>>51395117
because they're autistic idiots. It's always the same with those fucking faggots. Every single one of them thinks his way is the only right one.
>>
>>51395117
They do, it's called "Microsoft" now fuck off
>>
>>51394847
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe no one gives a fuck?
>>
File: papyrus.png (3 KB, 206x236) Image search: [Google]
papyrus.png
3 KB, 206x236
>>51394562
now
>>
>>51394872
I can never get anything to work, what do you use?
>>
>>51394562
>Implements Google's beautiful 'Material Design' specification
>beautiful
ebin
>>
You literally forgot the best thing about it, it uses Wayland. If you're going to shill, at least do it well.
>>
>>51394817
>>51394872
desu i read an article somewhere about that google gonna merge chrome os with android.
>>
File: 1446080089509.png (462 KB, 508x509) Image search: [Google]
1446080089509.png
462 KB, 508x509
oh boy another fucking distro
>>
>>51395390
But after that they said that ChromeOS is still going to be it's own separate OS
So nobody knows what the fuck they're talking about anymore
>>
>>51395340
I hear ARC Welding doesn't work 100% on non-ChromeOS systems.

But if you're using ChromeOS, it might be because you're using apps that require Play Services, and not all of the Play Servers API are available yet.

I use Pocket Casts and TeamSpeak on the daily and it works with no problems.
>>
>>51394562
There's already a perfect UNIX environment out its called OS X. Get with it nerds. Before you start crying about affordability go look up some business class laptop hackintoshes and quit your fucking crying.
>>
>>51395054
Mint, Xubuntu, OpenSuse, Manjaro, or Antegros. Puppy Linux is good if you've got old, or for whatever reason below average resources.
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 1500x1120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 1500x1120
>>51395481
i am a apple fan and let me tell you, being an apple user is actually a great thing. we have beautiful products and we have ugly products. just like any company. tim cook for 1 is a great person, makes great products, and takes care of every one that is in his customer base and is glad to do it, and for that he has people that love him around him. also, apple products are one of the best profucts you can have. sometimes they can be really restricted, but they will take care of you no matter what, and the genius bar will help you buy what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and an online community that we all love and helps us eat shit out of our hands.
>>
>rolling release updates
I'm sure NEETs can't wait for the public beta, but some of us have jobs or even worse, live production machines
>>
>>51395541
fuck off wage slave
>>
>>51395465
Oh, okay. I don't have a Chromebook so I guess I can't really know
Hey actually, would you mind trying some games like Sonic or Retroarch? I've been toying with the idea of getting a chromebook but I've don't know anyone who has one.
>>
>>51395736
You son, is what we refer to as a retard around these woods.
>>
>>51394831
I'm using Antergos. Not a single update messed anything up.
>>
>>51395863
Congrats, you've written the least intelligent post ever made
>>
>all this could be achieved with common effort to make a decent looking lighweight qt-based DE.
>nope lads, gotta create an entire distro around it.
Kek, it's like elementary v2
>>
>>51394562
if you're gonna use material design why not target tablets, and if you're gonna target tablets why not base it on gentoo like chromeos, like what are they even going for basing this on arch
>>
Why not just make a DE? Why a whole another distro?
>>
>>51395996
Didn't know chromeOS was based on gen2... Interesting.
>>
>>51396022
Because failing at having a userbase is fun.
>>
lord, did a colorblind eight-year-old design this mess?
>>
>>51396162
that's offensive please abide by this threds code of conduct.

-op
>>
>>51396217
fuck off back tumblr, you twat
>>
>>51394562
>can't even navigate website because shit material design
Into the trash it goes.
>>
Holy shit this might make me install Linux.
>>
>>51396217
>-op

Hey baby, word around 4chan is that you give good head and love it? Wanna go smoke meth and show me how true that is?
>>
>Google Design
>>
w-what does the terminal look like??????
>>
>>51395061
To give a general idea of progress. So far they believe 87% of the work has been completed. This is there estimate. If shit changes, they change the damned number
>>
>>51394562
I'll try it when the alpha drops, but if they think I'm going to give them money before I can even try it they can fuck off.
>>
>>51396367
Taking the bait, eh?
>>
>>51394791
>>51394831
>>51395035

How are people this retarded? Arch is literally best girl. They must have not used it to come to such an insane conclusion.
>>
>>51394607
This
>>
>>51396559
Terminals are soooo 1980

luv ur style hyphy senpai
>>
Will betray debian in an affaire with this. But realistically they will not style all my programs and it will look inconsistent and less neat, as every DE does
>>
>>51394562
Material Design is for people who sucks dick
>>
>>51394562
I'm not going to lie, I like the material design UI. But will this OS just be an a surfing machine? It seems like it's closely tied to Google services, while it is open sourced, it's tied to closed sourced services.
>>
>Papyros.io
>.io
>io

Wew
no
>>
>>51394562
itt: vaporware
>>
>>51397502
This. As much as I'd like to get away from gtk/qt there is nobody working on this.
>>
>>51394562
Might use this when it's done. Looks great. This will be my first Linux
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.