[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ERT Tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: collector_usb.jpg (42 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
collector_usb.jpg
42 KB, 600x450
For the longest time, I've been juggling around the idea of having a specialized USB with a collection of software and a distro of Linux installed for emergency recovery situations for a long while, but could never figure out what suites would be ideal for it -- no fuss, no mess, get in, fix it, get out kind of deals, and if it can't be fixed... have enough space to recover what's important.

Have any of you /g/urus ever done something like this? What'd you install/recommend?
>>
Damnsmalllinux?
>>
>>51394448
knoppix has always filled that niche for me, just werks on pretty much any system, can recover files from ntfs just fine or chroot into fucked linux installs, use diagnostics like smartctl, and networking usually works straight away so you can even google for issues while troubleshooting, etc...

might be worth looking into making your own bootable linux image if your needs are more specialized and you need something like that on a frequent enough basis
>>
>>51394495
Seems like an option, but any signs of life with it died off in 2012, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

>>51394582
The problem I have with going too 'niche' is that I would want the ERT stick to be applicable to as many systems as I come across, since I have the unfortunate position of being the family technical support in a lot of cases -- home, small business, or otherwise. Hell, the reason I got prompted to think of this project again is because I need to have a new OS on start-up to get into a borked Windows 2008 Server's file system. Can't be too sure if something I worked on myself would be able to do the widescope I want/need.
>>
File: Utility USB.png (57 KB, 689x779) Image search: [Google]
Utility USB.png
57 KB, 689x779
>>51394448
Mine's more windows based, USB itself is a Gparted live USB
>>
>>51394448
Hey OP, any idea if pic related ever went into production? Or is it just a vapourware meme?
>>
>>51394448
I have a YUMI with a couple things. I carry really vanilla linux distros like Mint, Ubuntu Mate, OpenSuse, and Arch in case im somewhere and people simply want it. I also take Kali Linux for network info and TAILS for anonymity. For utility I just threw on Hirens boot CD and KonBoot
>>
>>51394448
YUMI
You can even put a windows installer on it but you had to disconnect the drive with w7 at some specific moment or the installer would fuck up.
>>
>>51395217
That sounds like what I have in mind -- definitely will apply to what I have in store. May skip out on the Photoshop and Vegas files.

>>51395245
Seems to another instance of vaporware -- seems weird to use the suffix '-ware' for something that isn't strictly software, but that's just me being nit-picky.
>>
>>51395217
>unironically using winrar
oh, anon
>>51395248
>>51395255
third for yumi. you can throw pretty much as many linux distros on there as you like but only a single windows iso because muh special snowflake.
pretty much any linux live iso is gonna have all the tools you need to recover files and fuck about with partitions etc but hirens is also useful if you're going to be recovering windows systems because you can reset forgotten passwords and even uninstall hotfixes iirc
>>
>>51395369
And what's wrong with winrar?
>>
>>51395378
it's a turd. use based 7zip, it can open up anything you throw at it - tar.gz, iso, those shitty drivers which come as an exe which extracts into a folder before installing, even wims and vhds.
>>
>>51395378
7zip does everything winrar does and more
>>
>>51395454
I never really run into those
>>
>>51395472
why are you on /g/ then?
>>
>>51395492
It's fun
>>
>>51394448
hirens boot disc
>>
>>51394448
I actually wonder if this would really work on a raid perspective.

Don't get me wrong cards will shit themselfs in read and write cicles but it'd be a fun project to see how it worked.
>>
>>51396434
SD cards are slow as fuck, really no point to doing that
>>
>>51396434
Maybe as a JBOD but not as a RAID in any configuration.
>>
>>51395360
>hardware
>>
>>51394448
literally any distro can do this.
however, if you need a shitload of tools, and specially forensics stuff, kali linux is a great distro.
>>
>>51395378
it's better than 7zip but freetards can't handle that fact
>>
>>51396950
>winrar
>better than 7zip
b8
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.