[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: linux-distro-logos.jpg (83 KB, 540x491) Image search: [Google]
linux-distro-logos.jpg
83 KB, 540x491
So I have been using Windows for my entire life and I've decided to try out Linux this time. Keep in mind that I've already tried Elementary OS and I really loved it but I want to know if there's something better. I'm looking for a distro that looks good and isn't too heavy on my laptop.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>
>>51389740
>>51389751
No
>>
>>51389697
>I've already tried Elementary OS and I really loved it
Consider a mac then. GNU/Linux probably won't work for you. If you are really serious though, get Crunch bang Linux.
>>
>>51389757
Ubuntu if you want an easy time. Fedora is kinda normal. Debain if you want to run a server. Arch and Gentoo for minimalism, where Arch is like decorating your own house from scratch, and Gentoo is like building your own house, provided with a stonemine.
>>
>>51389822
>Debian
>server
Fuck off nigger. Debian testing is the finest desktop distro that ever was or will be.
>>
>>51389697
I have the same problem, OP. I am looking for something that has a similar feel to elementaryOS but which has more customizability. The problem so far is, that I haven't figured out any distro where the management of virtual desktops is as comfy as in eOS, especially Super+A and Super+S I've really come to love.
Unfortunately, regular compiz just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've found that Ubuntu Mate comes close and has tons of options to be tweaked and made to feel like eOS, but it's not entirely the same still.
>>
>>51389697
Apricity OS, try it, it's really gud.

If you want to get a bit more technical with your system, Void Linux.
>>
Mint Xfce.
After installing,
add leafpad & kolourpaint from synaptic,
make the trash can icon visible on the desktop,
and move the Minimize All icon to the bottom right.
VoilĂ , Win7 without all the copyright and virus bullshit.
>>
>>51389927
>really gud
Tried it last weekend. It has potential but Antergos is literally better in every way. ICE was okay but you could run it on anything, and for most people it's not much of a selling point anyway.

I mean come on, the icon pack they bundle with it looks like a first year student project.
>>
Op here, Arch linux or Linux Mint? Why?
>>
>>51390066
arch for git gud and rolling release
mint for just werks
>>
>>51389740
Fuck gentoo
>>
>>51389917
Debian stable is better desu senpai
>>
I really like mint cinnamon, mate and xfce are great too
>>
>>51390789
>better
I suppose it's subjective. I don't mind trading stability for newer packages, not that I've ever had any problems with Debian testing. Well, apart from that one time I apt-get autoremove'd without looking and trashed my install, but that was at least 50% my fault.
>>
>>51389697
How much work are you willing to put into it? Do you mind a little bit of a learning curve? My desktop system of choice is OpenBSD with either fluxbox or Pekwm as the basis of my desktop environment.

OpenBSD is rock solid, secure as OSes get, and meticulously well documented. It's also very simple to use, but that's not the same as being easy. There is a bit of a learning curve--much more so than say Ubuntu, but less than Arch or Slackware, and far less than Gentoo. Also what you learn will for the most part carry over to other BSDs, and Linux, and will make you more knowledgeable than the average Linux user.

Window managers like Fluxbox are not full desktop environments. Their function is to display windows, but many EMs do a good job as basic DEs, and are even designed to be used as such. They are barebones, and minimal however. You will have to add other components to them if you want say a dock, icons, or wallpaper, etc. Fluxbox comes with a basic panel and menu system, plus it's Slit. The slit is nothing by itself, and you won't even see it. What it does though is holding other desktop apps and widgets you might like to use. Fluxbox is highly customizable, but fairly straightforward and easy to configure.

There are a lot of other WMs out there, and you may prefer one of those more. It depends on what you want out of a desktop. If you want a complete, nice looking, lightweight full-fledged DE, XFCE is great. It's highly customizable as well, but it comes as a complete and coherent DE out of the box, so less work. It's lightweight for a DE, but if you ever get used to a WM instead, you'll realize it's still more bloated than necessary.

Also you could use say Fluxbox as XFCE's WM. I'd highly recommend that too as it's better than the default, and will make it look nicer, and respond faster.
>>
I use Linux Mint with XFCE. Nice and quick, efficient, plenty of features, and minimal on bloat. A very good intro distro.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.