[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extremely cheap computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Give me a reason not to build a cheap PC for my Mom over buying an older used PC.

I was thinking of either building this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sZ9vrH or buying an old PC.

Are there any benefits of using a newer cheap PC over an older PC that might have been good 7 years ago?
>>
You could get her a cheap ThinkPad for that price.
>>
It is for your mom. That build should be fine but you haven't picked out a cpu. Make sure you don't skimp out on that.
>>
>>51388332
Hahahaha
>>
To be honest I would rather spend a bit extra and get some cheap ssd. Makes a big difference to percieved performance. That cpu is perfectly fine for basic tasks.
>>
>>51388159
>CentOS
Just get her Windows, shes only pretending to like your autism OS to spare your feelings.
>>
>>51388332
It does bring a CPU, you fucking gook
>>51388588
This. It's not like his mother is gonna be downloading anything significant
>>
>>51388159
>Celeron

Get an AMD APU.
>>
It'll do but it will be slow as fuck. Better to spend 100 bucks more and swap that Celeron for at least a desktop tier Celeron and put a small SSD in there. It will be a much faster computer that way.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q4km99
Get her this. Get any VGA monitor at a thrift store or garage sale or something.
>>
File: fuck_you.jpg (16 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
fuck_you.jpg
16 KB, 306x306
>>51388159
You're building your mom a fucking POS.

>celeron
>HDD
>most shit speakers in the universe

fuck OP not even an APU? not even a 500gb-1tb HDD? are you fucking kidding me?

When did you realize you didn't love your mom? I fucking hate my mom, but I'd still build her a better PC than that because I biologically am required to love the retarded cunt.
>>
just buy her a t420, i'm using one myself right now and it's fucking goat. plus it's retard proof and she birthed you.
>>
>>51391316
>not even a 500gb-1tb HDD?
Why the fuck would she need it? OP should get her an SSD though, that shit is noticeable in use and silent. And an APU.
>>
>>51391349
yeah, but literally who in the fuck even uses 250gb HDD's now? OP is just a cheap cunt. moms put all of their pictures and home videos on the computer for storage so no shit she'd want a lot of storage space. 250 fucking shitty gigabytes won't even cut that, and OP failed even harder.
>>
>>51391402
My mom and sister are doing fine with 250GB, and sis is the kind, that makes pictures of her food and feet all the time. All the dozen people I fixed PCs for, used under 120GB too. It's a legit way to save 20-40 bucks.

Casuals who don't do any intensive work/gaming on PC nor download a lot, just don't need more. Hell, I am doing fine with a 256GB SSD on laptop and half of it is filled by music alone.
>>
>>51391402
my entire family outside of me has only 10 gigabytes of data in over a decade
>>
Msi am1i - 22$ after rebate newegg
Amd 5350 - 50$ newegg
Picopsu 120w - 12$ ebay used
8gb ddr3l stick - 27$ ebay used
240gb ssd -pulled from my old laptop
Using the case from an old dvr - free
Dell s2340m - 60$ craigslist.
Howd i do /g/?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dzKb3C

Here you go. A reliable PSU, an SSD for boot times, 8GB of RAM for future-proofing, a 4-core CPU and a 1080p screen, all for less than 300$.
>>
>>51391995
Overall much better than OP but isn't the PSU bit over the top and not efficient enough? Or the SSD to small? Also IPS screen in not that much more and the quality is noticeable even for casuals.
>>
>>51392050

I guess you could go for a better screen, and while the PSU is a bit over the top it's the cheapest one that is actually not going to blow up when you plug it in. The SSD can be changed for a hard drive I guess, depends on what are her needs. Also forgot to mention, it also has front-panel USB 3.0.
>>
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZD8sTW

Put this together for my mum, with a microsoft 800 k+m, overkill on the mobo but it's hard to find a 1150 mitx board.
>>
>>51391402
what is google photos?
>>
Look through craigstlist for a much better builds for same/cheaper price.

Get used, refurbish them yourself.
>>
>>51391544
>sister are doing fine with 250GB, and sis is the kind, that makes pictures of her food and feet

>your sister takes pictures of her feet
>>
>>51393018
Never seen Instagram?

This is also my fetish.
>>
>>51391316
its lewd tb\h
>>
baka desu senpai
>>
>>51388159
Got mine of of those Kindle Fire tablets.

She's happy with it, can do all the pleb shit she wants with it.
I'm happy with it I get no more annoying questions.

She's probably bought way more stuff on amazon and ebay than she usually would since buying it though.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.