[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SteamOS gaming performs significantly worse than Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: 6m2589l4l3ck.jpg (76 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
6m2589l4l3ck.jpg
76 KB, 980x735
LINUX BTFO

SteamOS gaming performs significantly worse than Windows, Ars analysis shows
Cross-platform 3D games face 21- to 58-percent frame rate dip on same hardware.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/
>>
File: steambench-biggest.003.jpg (200 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.003.jpg
200 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>51379529
>>51379594
Excellent shill thread, Rajeesh! I'm sure Nutella will be really happy to send you Microsoft Gift Cards!!
>>
LINUXFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>Linux

Well of course it performs worse. It has no good graphics drivers compared to windows.
>>
>>51379669

Why is it that AMD and Nvidia can make great drivers for proprietary Windows but not good drivers for open-source Linux?
>>
>>51379698
Demand.
>>
>>51379698
Because they don't want to? I don't know why, all I know is that they aren't. Presumably because there isn't as much money to be made doing so.
>>
File: Dota 2 benchmark.png (583 KB, 1587x731) Image search: [Google]
Dota 2 benchmark.png
583 KB, 1587x731
STEAMOS AND WANGBLOWS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT!
>>
>>51379721

That makes no sense.

They both code drivers for Linux and Windows.
>>
>games made for use with directx perform worse on an os which doesn't support directx
This surprises people?
>>
LINUX HAS NO FUCKING DRIVERS
>>
>>51379529
It's not SteamOS's fault, it's the GPU companies' faults. The drivers have been getting closer and closer to Windows performance with every driver release though.
>>
>>51379751
>LINUX HAS NO FUCKING DRIVERS
Muh drivers.
It's mostly because AMD and nvidia are proprietary-only faggots, but also because those games were made with directx in mind.
>>
>>51379735

But the games they used were made to work with OpenGL. Which should be superior because it's open source and not propritery like DirectX
>>
>>51379529
lunux is a meme just like AMD
>>
>>51379791
They're just shitty ports.
>open source gives better performance than proprietary
k
>>
>>51379529
Average FPS is meaningless, minimum FPS is what matters.
>>
>>51379791
OpenGL drivers aren't as optimized as the DirectX drivers, so in most cases, DirectX performs better than OpenGL regardless of OS. It's getting better though. Each new linux graphics driver release gets closer to Windows driver performance, and the performance difference isn't usually massive enough to freak out about it right now. If it was 5 years ago it'd be a different story.
>>
>>51379529
Surprising absolutely no one.

Linux being a bad system for games haven't exactly been a recent discovery you know.
>>
>>51379729
>they don't want to spend countless hours writing code for a system that people don't really use, and has little need for high end graphics cards

It's a mystery.
>>
I'm actually surprised that the difference is not much worse, considering the bad proprietary generic GPU drivers and also considering the fact that the Linux port was just an afterthought for that games.

Linux has the potential for better performance than Windows. Even with those horrible GPU drivers there are already cases where the Linux port outperforms the Windows version.
>>
>>51379529
>Microsoft has been investing millions of dollars in DirectX for 2 decades
>Windows immensely popular partially due to gaming with DirectX, making such software a major priority for Microsoft
>Competitors start rolling out alternatives
>turns out DirectX is really powerful and efficient

Holy fucking shit, who would have guessed that DirectX is leagues ahead of any other shit? Mind fucking blown.
>>
>>51379529
>>51379594
were they both run in opengl?
>>
>>51379791
>But the games they used were made to work with OpenGL.
With automated dx -> gl translators which produces shit code like all compilers compared to handcoded stuff.
>>
Phoronix routinely benches Windows against the latest Ubuntu builds for GPU performance, they have for years.
In all the metrics they test the two operating systems are usually neck and neck. No one stays on top of the other, and the results are always close. This points to two things:

1.) A lot of games ported to Linux are done very poorly.
2.) SteamOS is unspeakably shitty, and you should have seen this coming from miles away. Valve is incapable of addressing software issues in Steam within a timely fashion. Anyone who expected these incompetent grabblers to maintain their own performance oriented distro was fucking delusional.
>>
>>51379529
I'm not Linuxfag but that shit doesn't have any sense, the strong of steam os means Vulkan API which is low level api as directx12.
>>
>>51382931
Wait to test with Vulkan API and see the real chartz
>>
>>51382931
Hasn't opengl already been proven to be faster than dx11?
>>
>>51379529
>implying you have a random sample of size greater than one pc
Fucking shill tests are the cancer of statistics
>>
>>51381343
>A lot of games ported to Linux are done very poorly.
second slide is full of Valve games.
>>
>>51383216
They only need a few games properly ported so they can shill steam os.
Most people won't notice the rest because marketing. Remember all the hype when they announced l4d2 was faster?
>>
>>51383273
I remember they said all games will get some sort of boost, 20% or something.
People tasted OpenGL right away, but saw no boost, so everyone called them MS shills, because Valve and PC, etc.

Right now Valve is saying DOTA2 Reborn works better on Linux, but after few benches it's obvious they just focused on OpenGL and did fuck all with DX11.
>>
Most of the openGL games are using emulation wrappers to convert dx functions to opengl.

Then they don't use modern opengl functions because they want a mac port and apple doesn't update their opengl level often enough.

I don't see how they can compete until vulkan is out.
>>
>>51380143
OpenGL is actually many times faster than direct x.. up to 20 times faster I'd optimised correctly -Intel, AMD, nvidea
>>
>>51379529
>(1792 x 1120 resolution)
wut
>>
>>51379728

having 100+ fps changes in framerate triggers my autism desu
>>
>>51379791

This is the real reason why it sucks.

OpenGL support is shit generally. Until Linux can use DirectX, you'll just be dealing with shitty ports.
>>
File: 9302011.png (117 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
9302011.png
117 KB, 500x360
>there are people too poor to afford windows and are stuck with linux
>>
>>51380143
OpenGL is not inherently slower, but when you optimize for DirectX and not OpenGL, it's going to be a huge difference.
>>
>>51379529
>Badly ported games run worse.
Who could have possibly guessed.
>>
Please grow up /g/
>there are Windows 10 users that do not know that Win10 "fakes" the framerate you get.
OMFG DEM DRIVER ISSUES
>windows has a billion more drivers than any other OS

>inb4 "ur a linuxfag"
I am a true windows user so fuck off.
>>
>>51379529
ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
>>
>>51379529
>sample size of 2
>using a 2 year old steambox

>>>/trash/
>>
>>51379529
>worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDnbi0N7qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdEftFFG_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab2UI1Iq2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASDQCPjxOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8qXbJqMvs
>>
>>51381277
Doesn't /g/ always go on about how WINE makes shit run faster because muh OpenGL?
>>
>Linux
>Games
85% of games get 0 fps on Linux
>>
>>51379529
>>51379594
what shitty system did you run those benchmarks on?

>GTX 970
>FX-8350
>Debian Sid
>get very reasonable (60+) framerates in every game maxed out.
>>
It takes a special kind of stupid to unironically defend Microsoft and promote Windows use. And most kids do it for nothing in return.
>>
>games
Lol.
>>
>>51387162
no
>>
>>51382986
Nope
>>
>>51385262
Stay delusional, D3D is now much faster in DX12.
Only Vulcan has a chance...
>>
>>51387195
It takes a special kind of stupid to unironically defend Valve and promote closed source DRM software on Linux.
>>
is that even out of beta yet?
>>
>>51379529
It has more to do with drivers and their harmonization with DirectX than it is with Linux in general.

In an emulated environment on Linux with artificial DX support such as Wine, games actually give much higher FPS than Windows as there are no background processes holding them down.
>>
>>51387234
OpenGL 4.5 is competitive with D3D 12, and Vulkan is the successor the OpenGL 4.5 authored by the very same Khronos Group.
>>
>>51379607
Lol you didn't even defend your Linux OS. Hahaha
>>
>>51379529
My mom's windows pc runs slower that my dad's chrome book. Using ops logic I can say linux is always faster than windows, and has better display drivers that don't crash when scrolling through fa(c)ebook
>>
>>51387171
You must have a really old computer.
>>
>>51379529
Linux is shit, no news here.
>>
>>51386724
Exactly my thoughts, freetards are so damned stupid xD
>>
>>51379778
>>51379669
It's not the drivers' or the GPU manufacturers fault. It's because OpenGL is inferior to DirectX, pure and simple. OS X also has these performance problems compared to Windows. And if these games used OpenGL in Windows they would have similar results. Even games from fucking 2005 like Civilization IV perform worse on OS X than Windows.

>inb4 le microsoft shill xd lol
>>
The actual problem here (that no freetard will ever admit) is not drivers or the OS itself, it's openGL.

Why do you think no devs want to work with it anymore? Why do you think that Khronos just said fuck it and started all over with Vulkan?

OpenGL is a fucking mess to say the least and it's been inferior to DX since DX10 came out.
>>
>>51388103
How many fps are you getting in GTA 5, Fallout 4 or MGS 5? I'm not getting any on Linux.
>>
>>51388323
I don't play shit games. Go back to /v/
>>
>>51388322
>is a fucking mess to say the least
Please explain in your own words how OpenGL is a fucking mess.
>>
>>51388650
hahaha keep being mad freetard
>>
>>51388150
DirectX and OpenGL just send commands to your graphics driver
If you use it correctly (so you're not CPU-capped) you can literary get the same FPS
>>
File: don't believe you.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
don't believe you.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>51379529
>implying an os change results in 30+ frame rate difference
>>
>>51382952
>Wait to test with INSERTHERENEXTAWESOMETECHNOLOGYTHATNEVERCOMES and see the real chartz

yeah, wait. Keep waiting, you are all really good at that.

Also

>chartZ

why?
>>
>>51379791
>should be superior because it's open source and not propritery like DirectX

come again
>>
>>51387254
>defend Valve and promote closed source DRM software on Linux

I will never understand freetards and their stupid selective "muh freedoms" struggle.

Unless you are writing code on vim browsing the web on text mode you pretty much are always using some sort of propietary technology, why don't you just fucking accept that and go on with your lives?
>>
>arstechnica

While it's true that games develop with DirectX in mind and then ported to OpenGL tend to perform worse on OpenGL if you compare OpenGL on Windows vs Linux you find much more similar experience.

That being said, their benchmark was done on outdated hardware and current hardware performs much better on Linux. This is probably a hit piece paid by Microsoft.
>>
>>51379729
The GPU market on Linux is different than the GPU market on Windows.

GPU manufacturer focus on Linux is mostly for big data projects that uses GPUs for parallel computing and not gaming. Therefore NVidia focuses on CUDA and AMD focuses on OpenCL while they ignore OpenGL.

For example, AMD propietary Linux drivers outperform their Windows drivers in OpenCL benchmarks but their OpenGL performance are trash compared to Windows DirectX ones.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.