[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAS DQCPjxOg Now linux start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 21
File: Capture du 2015-11-13 04-59-05.png (708 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Capture du 2015-11-13 04-59-05.png
708 KB, 1280x1024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASDQCPjxOg
Now linux start to have better performances in games than windows.
How many FPS will we have once AMD and Nvidia release good drivers for linux ?
How vulkan and wayland will affect the performances of games in general ?

>inb4 /v/
I don't fucking care of the game. I find it pretty amazing that linux can have better performances than windows on this field, while we still have bad drivers.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>51321884
>How many FPS will we have once AMD release good drivers for linux ?

They have been waiting forever.
The AMD Waiting Evolved is a meme for a reason.
>>
>>51321884
>I find it pretty amazing that linux can have better performances than windows on this field,
But that's true for like almost everything linux does.

The ONLY advantage that Windows has is that developers develop things for windows, and then port them to linux.
>>
>>51321884
One game. Nice
>>
>>51321922
>But that's true for like almost everything linux does.
Ofc, but gaming is probably the best argument of windows, it always had better performances.

>The ONLY advantage that Windows has is that developers develop things for windows
Exactly my point. Drivers are still garbage on Linux compared to what windows have, and yet we can have better performances on some games.

Also since this video is from September, the version of steam OS didn't include the latest nvidia drivers that was added two or tree weeks ago.
>>
>>51321884
if mods.ban(videogame, desktop, battlestation) {
mods == gods
return true;
}else {
mods = fags
}
>>
>>51321884
I'd be more interested to see the benchmarks between Vulcan and DirectX12 at some point.
>>
>>51322270

why? they're virtually the same.
>>
>>51321975
>always had better performances
Bzzt, wrong.

Gaming on Windows is painful and everything is bloated and slow because Windows is bloated and slow and sucks at memory management.

Unless developers suck and just can't (or don't) optimize a game for GNU/Linux as well as the Windows one, GNU/Linux performance always beats Windows.
>>
>>51321884
Wayland and vulkan will both increase performance, but for now, only gnome actually works with wayland. There's no other login manager than gdm, there's no other wayland DE than gnome. Hawaii claims to be wayland-ready but it doesn't even compile right most of the time and will segfault on start the rest of the time. Weston isn't even remotely usable by design.
>>
>>51322288
They're based on Mantle but that doesn't mean they didn't deviate at some ideological level.
>>
>>51321975
>It always had better performances.
It always had worse performance. There's a reason people who use GPUs for actual work don't use windows.
>>
>>51322293
linax is actually worse
>what is laptop batteries
apparently you didn't read properly anon's post
sage for vermin thread
>>
>>51321975
>drivers are garbage
please god let this meme die
it's 2015 and linux drivers (at least nvidia) are absolutely fucking alright - maybe not as good as hurr gaem ready windows ones that gets released every week, but good enough to play games and certainly not garbage.
Bigger problem is, a lot of devs port their games with some crappy dx->opengl wrappers - that's why some linux ports runs like shit (witcher 2 that finally got kinda good, but at beginning it was running worse than on wine).
>>
>>51322350
>50% extra battery time is bad
>laptop gay men unironically
>>
>>51322087
>==
you got me.
>>
telltale games work better in Wine than native windows
>>
anyone who has actually played the game knows that singleplayer is never an issue with that game, my gtx470 and i5-760 plays it fine

the problem is multiplayer, and since arma 3 is literally an 'experimental demo with limited functionality', any sort of actual comparison is fucking retarded
>>
>>51322365
This. The drivers are fine.

In some ways they're better than in Windows: In Linux stuff like laptop support tends to be well integrated if it works at all, while the Windows equivalent is pure enterprise cancer more often than not.

Pressing Fn+F2 or something on GNOME pops a neat little brightness icon and level indicator instantly, while in your typical Windows laptop setup it probably launches a 40 megabyte .exe that then spends 5 seconds reading an animation made of bmp files and calling home before its shitty art appears on the screen.
>>
>>51321884
...why am I the first person ITT to point out that either there's no way in fuck those are identical settings, or the reason Linux is getting higher fps is because it's an untextured, blurry bag of smashed assholes because it's not rendering properly/fully?

I mean seriously, look at those two images. You don't even have to look closely.
>trees on Linux
Blurry green blob
>trees on Windows
Look like a tree
>ground terrain/texture on linux
Looks like a 3yo's fingerpainting
>ground terrain/texture on Windows
Actually looks like the various hills, rills, and other shapes land actually has.

Moreover, there are ZERO shadows on the Linux side, and dynamic, real-looking shadows on the Windows side.

Someone's flat-out lying about the settings.
>>
>>51321884
>Now linux start to have better performances in games than windows.

this will continue. Windows has shit for performance. the only reason games work better is because literally all development effort has gone in to games on windows. The os itself is a trainwreck and linux wins on performance pretty much everywhere else.
>>
>>51321922
Except for word processing, since LibreOffice is shit and vim is shit and notepad++ is shit for word processing.

Except for -actual- security, because security through anonymity is a false hope. What few good security tools there are that are available for linux are also available for Windows and OSX.

The most recent iteration of Adobe suite more or less ties them, but that was originally a Windows-only suite.

Obviously, except for games.

>about the only thing Linux does well is be a lightweight, server-oriented OS
>>
>>51321884

Huh, I always thought GL was shit compared to directx considering the former has 9001 years of API cruft attached.
>>
>>51322087
Why do people keep posting those retarded pseudocode snippets, and on /g/ of all places?
>>
>>51322365
>drivers are shit argument
>BU-BUT DRIVERS FOR A SMALL HANDFUL OF MID-TIER CARDS FROM ONE MANUFACTURER OF GPUS WORK! PLEASE IGNORE THE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF OTHER PERIPHERALS THAT HAVE ZERO SUPPORT, THE 2 OTHER GPU MAKERS THAT HAVE SHIT SUPPORT AND BUGGY DRIVERS, THE FACT THAT ONLY ABOUT 200 OF THE APPROXIMATELY 90,000 DIFFERENT MODELS OF PRINTERS HAVE LINUX DRIVERS ETC ETC ETC
No. Linux has very little driver support and about half of what it does have are crap in comparison to Windows or OSX drivers.
>>
>>51322714
>ONLY ABOUT 200 OF THE APPROXIMATELY 90,000 DIFFERENT MODELS OF PRINTERS HAVE LINUX DRIVERS
do you have a source on that
>>
Funny thing is Linux also beats Mac OSX at performance, based Linus
>>
>>51322722
how many drivers will let you use your scanner in linux?
>>
>>51322722
The only supported printer manufacturers, as far as I can tell, are Brother, Canon, Xerox, and Epson.

There are about 900 different companies making printers and many of them produce over a dozen models each.

Granted, those four major companies produce 99.9% of all -consumer- printers, but once you start getting into high-volume office printers, large-format/plotting printers, etc linux support drops to zero.
>>
>>51322741
can i please see the source

>>51322747
can i please see the source
>>
>>51321884

Nvidia's drivers are good already.

>>51321921

https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-PowerPlay-Patches

It's happening. Later on they'll open source their own Vulkan implementation as well as OpenCL implementation and hand it to the Mesa guys. Also, they'll put more people on the mesa team than thee are currently.

tl;dr AMD is slowly replacing catalyst on Linux with the open source mesa driver
>>
>>51322741
One.

And it's 8 years old and lacks a lot of the advanced functionality of modern stuff, even when compared to the driver for the same family of printers (since one driver covers about 15 printers) for Windows.

Thanks, I guess, Brother. A-at least I can scan things with my $300 all-in-one. Too bad the fax, scan-to-PDF, OCR, and scan-to-email functions don't actually work.
>>
>>51322753
i asked you a fucking question you dumb shit. here is a hint: canon drivers do not work with the scanner
>>
>>51322694
>I always thought GL was shit compared to directx
It's always shit to use and writing good driver code for many of its features is a pain, but it can be very fast when used just right.
>>
>>51322757
People have been crowing "it's happening" for AMD linux drivers for at least the 8 years. Either it's not happening, or they are the single slowest developer to have ever opened a terminal.
>>
>>51322770
I did not make any statement in the thread so there is no need for me to answer the question. You did, and unless you want your statement to be demonstrated as false, you have to answer.
>>
>>51322680
watch the video you tard
>>
>>51322714
Stop buying shit chink hardware
>>
>>51322784
i didn't say that first stupid comment, i merely asked YOU how many drivers let you use the scanner.

dont be a fucking linux tool
>>
>>51322788
I have now watched the video in its entirety.

First off, SteamOS beats Windows on framerate for only about a quarter of the video. They tie for about half of it and Windows wins for a quarter.

Second off, throughout the ENTIRE video the SteamOS side was blurry, unshadowed, and untextured. My original statement holds. The rendering was better, faster, crisper on Windows.

There is NO WAY IN FUCK those are the same graphics settings.
>>
>>51322777

AMD really has given no shits about Linux until the whole SteamOS thing. Now they are, because they have to.
>>
>>51322812
Oh, let's also not the vertical black lines running through only the SteamOS' side for half the damn video.
>>
>>51322806
then i am not even talking to you
>>
>>51322694
it's more that it's been historically non-ideal for gaming because it started off only being used for professional purposes, where quality and accuracy were more important than speed
dx is only a little bit newer, but was primarily for gaming use from the get-go
>>
>>51322826
well i am talking to you faggot, give me an answer

and have any of you retards actually watched the benchmark video? the OP literally found ONE frame to take a screenshot of, while the vast majority of the time the two versions are fucking 1-5 frames apart
>>
>>51322852
are you lonely
>>
>>51322852
Did you overlook the entirety of >>51322680
and >>51322812?
>>
>>51322824

They're there on the Windows side too, are you blind?

>>51322812
>SteamOS

It's literally just a fucking Debian derivative.

>>51322812
>Second off, throughout the ENTIRE video the SteamOS side was blurry, unshadowed, and untextured.

Like?

>The rendering was better, faster, crisper on Windows.

pls, you are clueless. OpenGL/Direct3D should have no significant (or none) differences provided that:

#1: The shaders are written properly.
#2: The driver follows the OpenGL spec.
>>
>>51322868
yes, i did.
>>
File: 1298527151028.jpg (25 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
1298527151028.jpg
25 KB, 627x627
>/g/ praises free and open source software
>jerks off because closed source valve releases games on it

>/g/ praises building their own computer
>jerks off because valve releases a dell with its own logo on it

maybe you children should just go back to /r/pcmasterrace where everyone will jerk of and praise le gaben XD
>>
>>51321884
>near as makes no difference innawoods
>innacity, where Arma3 always breaks down, Windows is significantly faster
Okay.

Arma 3 has always been extremely server-dependent anyway. You lose half your FPS to shitty servers right off the bat.

I'm more impressed that SteamOS is CLOSE to Windows. But it's clearly not better in this example.
>>
File: laugh-00011.jpg (53 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
laugh-00011.jpg
53 KB, 512x384
>SteamOS
>>
>>51322087
But software and programming other than video games is OK right? We don't have enough quality threads to justify cherry picking like this.
>>
>>51322869
Damn sure weren't there when I watched it.

Hang on, will use a different computer with a non-Windows OS to watch it.

I don't give a rat's ass if it's RHEL-derived. It is not Debian.

So, ever stop to think that maybe the shaders were not written properly because lolLinuxdriver or that the driver does not actually follow OpenGL spec? Because it is definitely, markedly inferior to the Windows render.
>>
>>51322869
>They're there on the Windows side too, are you blind?
No he is just a shill
>>
>>51322812
>Second off, throughout the ENTIRE video the SteamOS side was blurry, unshadowed, and untextured. My original statement holds. The rendering was better, faster, crisper on Windows.

Get a better monitor or get your eyes fixed, it clearly has shadows.

You started off ranting about small differences in an image captured from the _benchmark_ part of the video, but that part was probably recorded with a camera to avoid affecting the framerate as hinted by the subtle moire pattern and lack of sharpness in some areas of the image. Your analysis was invalid from the start.

The graphics comparison part looks just about identical, although it's hard to see the ground textures with the weapon waving around in one side of the image.
>>
File: Capture.png (315 KB, 647x510) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
315 KB, 647x510
>>51322935
>>51322869
I see them too.

Also, only on the Linux side.

Here's proofs.
>>
>So, ever stop to think that maybe the shaders were not written properly because lolLinuxdriver

As I said, you're a fucking moron because this has absolutely nothing to do with the driver.

>driver does not actually follow OpenGL spec?

If it's mesa or the nvidia driver then it is known to follow it.

>Because it is definitely, markedly inferior to the Windows render.

Where?
>>
>>51322972
>where?
Throughout the literal entirety of the benchmarking portion.
>>
I will move to linux after eroge can play there nicely without wine.
>>
>>51322998

Give me a fucking screenshot then. It clearly has shadows as >>51322958 said. I don't see the black lines in >>51322963, but I do see some compression artifacts.
>>
>>51323025
>Implying I'm going to spoonfeed you
>>
>>51323036

That's some nice backpedaling
>>
If you are going to shill at least put some effort into getting that dollar
>>
>>51323047
How many different times do you need to be proven wrong in one thread?

Because we're up to 2, with proof, already.
>>
File: 2015-11-13_01-19-48.jpg (104 KB, 914x576) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-13_01-19-48.jpg
104 KB, 914x576
>>51322963
here's your (You)
>>
File: moire.jpg (53 KB, 627x393) Image search: [Google]
moire.jpg
53 KB, 627x393
>>51322963
it's a faint moire pattern, artifact of the camera pixels not matching up perfectly with the projected pixels (or more specifically, the small black areas between the pixels)
>>
File: watch?v=nASDQCPjxOg_00:00:21.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watch?v=nASDQCPjxOg_00:00:21.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>51323055

I have made 3 posts and as far as I'm concerned you didn't prove me wrong even once.

Here's your "black lines" on both sides (which are most likely the one recording or the encoder being retarded), and there's another one here too: >>51323053
>>
File: 1436228229617.png (1 MB, 1122x1122) Image search: [Google]
1436228229617.png
1 MB, 1122x1122
>playing arma at more than 24 frames
>>
I find it surprising that anyone would contest that Linux could theoretically have better performance, or that it wouldn't be a good thing. Linux having better performance through open source solutions would benefit everyone in the future and save a lot of time and resources for many people.
>>
>>51323112
Guy should have turned off DoF effects
>>
>>51323112
>I have made 3 posts and as far as I'm concerned you didn't prove me wrong even once
this could go on a 4chan banner
>>
>>51322293
>I can get 200+ FPS on CSGO on Windows 8.1
>I can barely get above 40 on Mint
lmaooooo
>>
>>51323136
>>51323055

Yep, that's the blurriness that the poster was complaining about, and it only happens on long distance which should have clued the retard in.

>>51323148

Not everyone samefags as much as you do.
>>
>>51323149

I'm sure AMD loves you for using their drivers.
>>
>>51323176
I was using a GTX 970 :^)
>>
>>51323199

Then tell Nvidia to fix their drivers.

I thought that was only an issue on Catalyst/fglrx
>>
>>51323209
That implies I care enough to use Linux for anything
>>
>>51321922
that's true, linux is faster for literally everything.

the first time I experienced this was with ps3 media player.

my phenom II 955 would stutter while streaming 1080 p stuff, this was a windows 7 machine (nothing else running).

I set up a box with ubuntu 10.04 lts with ps3 media server running an athlon x2 5600+, no stuttering whatsoever
>>
What's the point when most games are shit anyway?
>>
Is there a way to manually edit the screen positioning on a Linux machine? edges of my screen get cut off and my crappy TV doesn't have the settings to do it.
>>
>>51323758
look in your gpu drivers
>>
>>51323351
The cell architecture-based PS3 probably smoked your poorfag II 1995 because it was a PS3.
>>
File: 1807.jpg (19 KB, 296x333) Image search: [Google]
1807.jpg
19 KB, 296x333
if only there were any games for linux
>>
somebody tell me if i can play on linux: diablo2, ut2004, wow, torchlight2? thats all i would ever care
>>
>>51322391
>50% extra battery time
You've clearly never used Linux on a laptop. My Sony went from 9 hours to 4 hours.
>>
File: smiling_girl.jpg (168 KB, 1029x790) Image search: [Google]
smiling_girl.jpg
168 KB, 1029x790
>>51322917
Servers have no impact on FPS, retard.
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>51324248
>diablo2
Works just fine with Wine.

>ut2004
There's a native port somewhere. Probably works in Wine too. I haven't tried this though.

>wow
Playable with recent enough Wine but some graphics features can't be enabled. The game has an OpenGL renderer but it hasn't been maintained and is more buggy than just letting Wine wrap Direct3D. Very CPU hungry.

>torchlight2?
Has a native port, works fine although some old Intel graphics drivers had glitchy effects.
>>
>>51324310
They use android?
>>
>>51324310
They do for the ARMA series. It has something to do with how the physics are processed, to keep them in sync for every client due to the high system requirements.
>>
>>51322823
they have to? SteamOS has literally 0% market share
>>
>>51324561
But steam os is targeted at gamers, if amd doesn't step up their Linux drivers it'll make them look even worse with so many steam games ported to Linux.

Only 2 games I play are battlefield 4 and planetary annihilation.
Pa runs on Linux but bf4 doesn't, if they both did I'd also be part of the Linux gaming community.
>>
>>51322693
Only safe Linux is whonix and that also requires libreboot and qubes so don't come around giving people bullshit how Linux is safe and secure from NSA, PRISM, GCHQ you fucking retard
>>
bulshit, armaIII won't allow you to have over 40 frames, regardless of GPU and/or OS
>>
God knows we would have better performance there, but what we would like to have there is games, not performance. I already played shadow of mordor and bioshock infinite is the most boring FPS I played.
>>
>>51324325
Lemme say that I tried UT2k4 about 7 years ago and it worked mighty fine on linux.
>>
windows and directx have been holding back graphics for a while, microsoft has an anti-optimisation culture and are typically very slow at making actual improvements to directX, even though it's had majority marketshare it's basically been playing catch-up with openGL for the best part of 15 years

again, people always say this, but valve got better performance out of source with a month of optimisation on linux's bad drivers than they did in 10 years of optimisation on windows and directx
>>
>>51324668
I wouldn't go as far as to say that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv09VKRIrvE

This is kinda old, but not as old as source support on linux. Whether it's running at a pretty nice framerate on both systems it's clear that "better performance" is on the windows side
>>
>>51324668
>microsoft has an anti-optimisation culture and are typically very slow at making actual improvements to directX
>very slow at making actual improvements to directX
>very slow

If Direct3D progress is "very slow" I don't even know what to call OpenGL.

This is a reminder that the universally hated bind-to-edit API pattern (which probably started from the texture object extension back in 1995) remained the only official way to interact with most GL objects until the ARB_direct_state_access extension was released in 2014. And many drivers still do not implement it.
>>
>>51321884
This has literally nothing to do with Linux being better than Windows. The performance bottleneck in Windows case is the 100x more complex driver. Since there are many more games for windows and many use graphics APIs incorrectly, the driver has optimized paths to overcome this and other heuristics to determine what the game is trying to do. That is one of the reason you see "[insert game name] ready' drivers on windows. Meanwhile, all that bullshit is avoided on Linux since there are very few games for it.

This driver complexity is the main reason for developing Vulkan, which is literally a thin layer atop the GPU. Most ot the things which were driver resposibility, are now graphics developers' resposibility in Vulkan.

Stop spreading bullshit.
>>
>>51323735
â–²this!
>>
>>51324774
I feel like this is bullshit
On my laptop I could run games like Dota or Team Fortress 60+ fps with Ubuntu, while Windows was around 40-50 fps
>>
>>51324248
>diablo2
works better in linux with playonlinux or wine than windows. Because I have a recent GPU, I can't play it in fullscreen and have shit performances in windows. Runs perfectly in linux.

>wow
yes. A lot of people told there were no issue

>torchlight2
it is on steam and works fine at 60fps in ultra
>>
muh gaming
>>
>>51325387
It could depend on the hardware used. I can't go past 130fps on cs:go on ubuntu 15.04 while I reach about 170-180 on Windows. Then again that might be AMD drivers or some shit.
>>
>>51325442
Probably is, my laptop has 630m and nvidia in general seems to have better Linux drivers
>>
>>51321884
>arma 3
>>>/trash/
>>
What the actual fuck, I'm playing Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Left 4 Dead 2 on Archlinux with an HD5870 and the open source mesa drivers on 2560x1440 and my FPS is WAY better on Windows.

Also Windows FPS is super stable while Linux is wonky as fuck.

What the hell am I doing wrong, or did they just forget about the old GPUs
>>
>>51325483
It's probably just the open source drivers being unoptimized. Because of how modern GPUs work every GL drawcall may require waiting for memory transfers, recompiling shaders, etc. Some drivers handle this better than others; Nvidia's closed source driver is generally the fastest. Also, the performance of compiled shaders may not be up to the level of the official drivers.

At least the shared Mesa code makes the GL implementation quite compliant with specs.
>>
>>51322812
>Second off, throughout the ENTIRE video the SteamOS side was blurry, unshadowed, and untextured. My original statement holds. The rendering was better, faster, crisper on Windows.

Go to the linux_gaming reddit and you see fairly often kucks there complaining because the linux/steamos ports have all kinds of graphics options broken, hard turned down or completely removed.

This "linux is faster" in regards to these games is literally because rendering breakage and lowered settings. It's kind of like when benchmark games on FreeBSD and textures are broken making the FPS higher.

Most of these people know that it's broken rendering or purposely removed and locked down settings but they shill it anyway, probably trying to convince themselves more than anyone else though.
>>
>>51325679
Can confirm , even dota 2 feels and looks like shit in linux.

Blurry , weird input lag , even more unresponsive alt tabbing than w7 with aero enabled (wow).

This was on a gtx650 that runs the game just fine in windows at the same settings.
>>
What I don't get is why people keep comparing Steam OS and Windows.
I understand that you can compare them once, but nobody compared it to the PS4 or xbox one, while the steam machines are supposed to go in the living room and not be used as a desktop computer.
>>
>>51326113
At least the PS4/Xbone are more affordable than Steam OS machines and they have a bigger library of AAA titles instead of being mostly indie releases. If you're going to release a SteamOS machine for 500 dollars and not be able to play GTA V, DE:MD or FO4, and instead you have to rely on most indie titles coming out (not all, even, as many are coming out still exclusive to Windows), what is the point?

Hell I'd rather buy a PS4. You may get less graphical quality and low framerates, but at the very least you get more games worth a shit, plus a few exclusives here and there. It can provide a little something that a PC wouldn't have in terms of games. Which is what should matter if you get a console.
>>
>>51326174
>are more affordable than Steam OS machines
For the same price you should have better performances with a steam machine.
>bigger library of AAA titles
That's start to be false. Now people will develops their games for steam OS.

Also I really wonder if game devs will start to do steam OS exclusives games.
>>
>>51326399
>Also I really wonder if game devs will start to do steam OS exclusives games.
SteamOS exclusive? Can't be done. SteamOS+Linux exclusive though? There's already been one, its possible we'll see more in the future. They'll almost certainly all be timed exclusives though.

Vulkan+SDL first game development makes so much sense for cross-platform development. It really makes no sense why developers continue to promise cross-platform support, but then develop on DirectX first and then complain about how hard it is to support Linux. Its like building a web app in IE6 and then complaining its hard to support Chrome.
>>
>>51326399
For the same price you don't have a steam machine as of now.

>>51326399
>Now people will

Yeah right, like last year. Shadow of Mordor are nice attempts, but where's The Witcher 3? Where's MGSV? Just Cause 3 (or even 2, jesus christ)? Battlefront? Rainbow Six Siege?

I could go on.
>>
>>51326471
Shadow of Mordor and Bioshock Infinite*
>>
>>51325722

Strange, it's totally the opposite here. Or maybe you're just bullshitting.
>>
>>51324561
SteamOS hasn't started officially yet. What do you expect?
>>
>>51326471
>Witcher 3
Possibly waiting on Vulkan. Eon's wrapper is already impressive on OpenGL, but it should be even more impressive if they can port it to run on a lower level API. That is assuming CDPR will go with them again for the port.

>MGSV
I've never seen it rumored for SteamOS. Konami doesn't seem like a company that will be an early adopter.

>Just Cause 3
Doesn't release until next month. We'll find out then if its a port, or if Valve have just been using it to show off streaming.

>Battlefront
EA's most recent statement is that they have no plans to support SteamOS or Linux, as apparently they're too busy complaining about a Steam monopoly to actually do things to counteract it.
>>
>>51326471
>For the same price you don't have a steam machine as of now.
Building pc+install steamos
Building pc+buy windows+install windows
Why would windows be cheaper than free?
>>
>>51321884
>I don't fucking care of the game. I find it pretty amazing that linux can have better performances than windows on this field, while we still have bad drivers.
But it is just this one game.
Every UE3 engine game runs like shit (SpecOps The Line, Sanctum 2), The Talos Principle also runs like shit compared to Windows, even Source engine games run worse.
Practically all the games I've tested have worse performance than Windows, and it's not just the frame rates either, UE3 games have massive stutter and freeze for a second as if they are loading assets despite running off of an SSD.
And this is with the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
>>
>>51326633
UE3 is deprecated.
>>
>>51321884
>unsynced video
>not just playing a replay
>different viewpoints in multiplayer
>no information about running processes, latency.

do retards these days even know how perform a benchmark?
>>
>>51322087

I guarantee 80% of the people here built their computers to play video games
>>
>>51326658
As is Gamebryo but Bethesda just released a game running on it. The fact is games I can easily max out on Windows run like shit in comparison, and they will forever be on UE3.
I still play on GNU/Linux of course, even some games trough Wine + Windows version of Steam, but this is a compromise and I don't see the average user bothering just to use Linux.
>>
>>51322293
>Bzzt, wrong.
Way to be a dick, especially when you're actually wrong and he's right.

>Gaming on Windows is painful and everything is bloated and slow because Windows is bloated and slow and sucks at memory management.
Do you even know what you're talking about, or are you parroting? Memory management isn't even an issue unless you're memory constrained, which just doesn't happen if you don't have a potato PC.

>Unless developers suck and just can't (or don't) optimize a game for GNU/Linux as well as the Windows one, GNU/Linux performance always beats Windows.
>hurrrrrhieuhhge789rhgf8640hy56
That is the case for 99% of performance sensitive games. You clearly don't play any games on Linux, or you're only playing 2D indie games. All of the big name games ported to linux have had worse graphical fidelity and performance because the ports aren't really thought of as important. Pretty much what the post you're replying to said, but apparently you're retarded.

Now I get that your gahnoo leenucks is so much better than wangblows because it's done using the unix philosophy, and linus is an ultrahacker and his kernel makes everything go faster by use of magic and pixie dust, but pull your head out of your arse and actually observe the real world state of affairs before talking shit.
>>
>>51326629
An actual PC that can handle games for the next 4-5 years for 350 bucks maybe. That's what you'd need.

In fact we're not going to add unnecessary bullshit. Just the CPU + GPU + Mobo + RAM + Case + HDD + PSU + Gamepad.

You give me something like that for 350 bucks that can at least sustain 24fps at medium to low settings under 720/640p for the next 5 years, that is also a computer, and we have a deal.
>>
>>51326733
I think you could pretty easily accomplish that goal with a APU system.
>>
>>51321884
>Now linux start to have better performances
It's been starting for a while. But it really doesn't seem to be gaining momentum.
Valve games apparently have been matching or beating with OpenGL and linux for a while
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows
>>
>>51326853
The issue is that current existing APUs don't really get there. The A10-7870K is not exactly the way to achieve that.
>>
>>51321884
openGL has always had better performance than directx if both werent buggy as fuck.
>>
>ARMA 3
>Bohemia Interactive

How about they dont bench a game made by a bunch of hacks.
>>
>>51321884
is the game using the same API (opengl) oon both platforms, or does it use d3d on windows? One possible way to explain this besides bloat and background processes in windows would be if they wrote the d3d backend first, learned things, then wrote an improved opengl backend. Not trying to come off as a Windows apologist, but I want this to be a *real* win, not a side effect of comparing old code to new code.
>>
>>51326957
I have a 7850k over clocked to 4.7GHz CPU side and 1028MHz GPU side. I play almost all games at 720p medium to low settings and have done for the past year. I'll buy the new fallout when I get paid and try that, chances are it'll still be reasonably a acceptable.
>>
>>51327089
>not a side effect of comparing old code to new code.
Well, it's on windows 7 so it most undoubtedly is exactly that. Windows 8 was a jump forward for performance, as is windows 10.

This is very much like comparing windows 10 to something running a 2.6 kernel in an LTS distro. Sure, it may be supported but it's not exactly performing as well as it could be.
>>
>SteamOS gaming performs significantly worse than Windows, Ars analysis shows
>http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/

I don't trust you OP.
>>
>>51327248
actually there are benchmarks that shows windows 7 having more FPS than windows 8. And windows 10 having the same performances of windows 10.
I don't think a version of OS matter, really. Also, most player are and will use windows 7 for the next years. Do you see a lot of linux users running a 2.6 kernel ? Every distributions are now in a 4.x version of the kernel.
>>
>>51327703
>I don't think a version of OS matter
>I don't think the version of Windows matter.
While the version of the linux kernel matter. Look at the last updates where amd and nvidia improved their stuff
>>
>>51321928
it hasn't just been one game. its been quite a few so far actually.

actual native ports of course, not some sort of wine layer ports like virtual programming titles such as bioshock infinite.

i remember valve talking about how linux offered so much more optimization that got left 4 dead 2 running faster on linux than windows. window shit a wall while linux kept going.
>>
>>51325722
dota 2 original was a rushed port by valve, but dota 2 reborn has been the complete opposite experience.
>>
>Better
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/
>>
>>51322350
Only reason for bad battery life on Linux is drivers
>>
>>51326567
>Konami doesn't seem like a company that will be an early adopter.

let alone konami hasn't done much pc ports to begin with. plus they're japanese and we know how much the japanese love their windows.
>>
>>51326471
>>51326567
MGSV will NEVER EVER be on Linux
Nips can barely even figure out how to make a Windows port, they likely don't know what Linux or SteamOS is, not to mention that they fired their entire team
>>
>>51327703
you mean windows 10 to 8/8.1?

cause yes, windows 10 is near identical to 8 / 8.1 in terms of performance on dx11 and 12 titles.

only thing windows 10 has going for it is dx12 and an updated DWM that when paired with dx12 does offer some pretty impressive performance. i know dice came out saying they would like all 2016+ titles to be dx12 and windows 10 exclusive because of it.

windows 7 vs 8 was lackluster. the two where pretty near identical.

only one that showed a boost was xp and you can guess why, FAR less demanding OS that just didn't support anything higher than dx9.

vista be the worse out of all of them.
>>
>>51327908
Konami is pretty much pachinko garbage these days.
>>
Is this surprising? Linux is better-engineered than Windows. We've always known this. Windows gets better gaming performance because of better drivers and DirectX, but if those were replicated on Linux it would obviously perform better.

No matter what you think of the high-level UI components and exclusive software, Windows is poorly-engineered.
>>
>>51327992
Nop. I remember threads in /g/ where people started to say windows 10 was better than 8 in games.
But people started to post benchmarks with windows 7 and you could see that windows 8 < windows 7 = windows 10
>>
i trust phoronix a lot more than ars when it comes to linux benchmarking.

geekbench? wtf who uses that shit? wasn't that a mac program for the longest ass time?

geekbench? really?
>>
>>51328124
not who you are replying to, but when i went from 7 to 10 my gtx470 got noticeably better in battlefield 4 especially maps like caspian border where there is a lot of grass and shit like that.

arma 3 always runs bad so i didnt really notice anything, but i just play multiplayer so i could have 4 way sli titans and still not have great performance. sometimes its rock solid ~40-50 (which is good for my aging machine), and most of the time its in the low 30s, which is still playable
>>
>>51322741
SANE has backend support for thousands of drivers. It's pretty much plug and play.
>>
File: WINDOWSBEWINDOWS.jpg (23 KB, 707x371) Image search: [Google]
WINDOWSBEWINDOWS.jpg
23 KB, 707x371
>>51328124
>>51328203
>>51327992
>>51327703

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-but-what-about-performance/

> tldr - near identical across all the different versions of windows overall
>>
File: w0cvrCvqQxG4.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (18 KB, 708x371) Image search: [Google]
w0cvrCvqQxG4.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
18 KB, 708x371
>>51328259
>>
File: windowssss.png (595 KB, 903x972) Image search: [Google]
windowssss.png
595 KB, 903x972
>>51328259
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1460
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YM8qXbJqMvs
>>
File: 1440104275510.png (554 KB, 829x720) Image search: [Google]
1440104275510.png
554 KB, 829x720
>>51328259
If it was other way around there would be 20 idiots screaming how bad Windows 10 is for gaming. If Windows 7 is the worst and it gets better, it's nearly identical.
>>
>>51328375
thats just it though... windows 7 wasn't worse.

it was either the same, better, or worse. thats comes out to being near identical across all of them. even 8 was the same way.
>>
File: winsleepingdogs.png (478 KB, 805x817) Image search: [Google]
winsleepingdogs.png
478 KB, 805x817
>>
File: wingrid.png (449 KB, 791x819) Image search: [Google]
wingrid.png
449 KB, 791x819
>>
SteamOS should have been a general purpose operating system for the desktop (like Ubuntu) with Steam being a software center, not a gaming meme os. Goymer children won't change their operating system, their parents wont let them. They could have compete with Ubuntu if they made a desktop environment thats "edible" for the majority of the potential users (not purple gloss shit like Ubuntu). They could have used the name and fame of Steam and disconnect it from sole gaming. But nooo, lets pretend this shit gonna work.
>>
>>51323199
what drivers were you using?
csgo works fine for me.
>>
>>51324509
it wouldnt affect the clients ability to render.
>>
File: 1430850699549.jpg (13 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1430850699549.jpg
13 KB, 250x240
>ARMA 3
>Linux
You can't even play multiplayer with your friends because the Linux version is several updates behind the Windows version.

Linux gaming = joke
>>
>>51328572
What sort of license does SteamOS have? If it is FOSS, a lot of their gaming features will be adopted by other distros.
>>
>>51323199
Running Noveau rather than Nvidia's own drivers by chance? Because third party drivers will NEVER be on par with the vendor's own drivers.

Seriously thou, Nvidia's binary drivers are to a quite large extent built on the same code base as the Windows drivers so you're supposed to expect similar performance.
>>
>>51322087
naice baito
>>
>>51328802
>Because third party drivers will NEVER be on par with the vendor's own drivers.
If the vendor released their internal documentation, it would probably be BETTER. Open source is, after all, a fantastic development methodology, particularly for technical rather than design things.

But the vendors will never do that.
>>
>>51328802
>Seriously thou, Nvidia's binary drivers are to a quite large extent built on the same code base as the Windows drivers so you're supposed to expect similar performance.
I can't speak to gaymen. I don't play games. Hell, my discrete GPU isn't even hooked up to a monitor.

I can speak to compute performance, though, and I find SLIGHTLY better performance with OpenCL and CUDA on Linux.
>>
>>51328697
>Linux
>Friends

Seems like the jokes on you sucker!
>>
>>51328427
so windows has just gotten very slightly slower over the last 7 years?

have they done literally anything besides skinning win7 in that time?
>>
>>51328899
>>51328856
AMD is doing it.

The whole plan is to have only a few "Professional" stuff (FireGL-related) closed-source, the rest of the driver stack open source.

I don't have links, but I recall seeing the slides.
>>
They are not even showing the same screens, hard to conclude anything from this, other than their performance is pretty identical.
>>
>>51329048
more spying on you
>>
>>51329048
They made the terminal emulator resizeable.

Its color picker is still the same retarded intern tier hack, though.
>>
File: 1441921407601.jpg (44 KB, 910x720) Image search: [Google]
1441921407601.jpg
44 KB, 910x720
>>51328396
>>51329048
There you go.
>>
>>51322270
Vulkan is also geared towards mobile hardware, so it has support for neat things related to framebuffer optimization. Whether this will have any bearing on the desktop performance is up in the air, but it's a potential factor.
>>
>>51329081
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-gpu-xdc15&num=1
Yes, the idea is to add new features as binary-blobs and AMD can open them up later as desired, with all AMD GPU driver stacks using the same framework.
>>
>>51322714
>>51322741
There's literally lists full of the thousands of printers and scanners that work on Linux, often better and with far less cancer than on Windows.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php
http://sane-project.meier-geinitz.de/sane-mfgs.html
>>
>>51322087
>== in the first one, but = in the second one
>no ; after variable assignment
>also there is ; after return so isn't even consistent
>passing parameters as separate values instead of a simple string array
>why do you even need that return anyway? There is no context for it to be needed, and the "if-else" will skip "mods = fags" automatically anyway
>questionable indentation
3/10, you tried, go read K&C, or something.
>inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>51326728
>Do you even know what you're talking about, or are you parroting? Memory management isn't even an issue unless you're memory constrained, which just doesn't happen if you don't have a potato PC.
>the only important thing about memory is how much of it you use
You really know your stuff!
>>
>>51329081
Pretty good idea, I think. Nvidia isn't going to copy them. Doing so would basically mean admitting tech GPUs is inferior.
>>
>>51328802
The free AMD drivers are better than AMD's proprietary ones. They're pretty much better in every single aspect except for OpenGL, which mesa+radeon is pretty close and sometimes beats out AMD in equal/better performance though.
>>
>>51322350
Is it really such a big problem?
I think my laptop battery life is actually about two times better on Linux. Then again, I did more of a minimalist setup (the one thing very hard to do on Windows).
>>
>>51322915
foss software made linux fantastic. the system already being as perfect as it is could take proprietary software at this point and nothing would change. all core softqare is foss, and no distros would adopt proprietary system files. so if it got all the gaymes nobody would have any reason to use a broke windows install to have fun
>>
>>51322293
>GNU/Linux performance always beats Windows
Yeah, if you're not running AMD. If you are, you're lucky if the game runs properly and much slower than on Windows. If you run CF, you're lucky if it doesn't break X and/or still drives multiple monitors properly, getting proper performance and scaling in games is something of a wild dream.

No idea about NVIDIA or SLI on their high-end side, but I'd be surprised if it has as much support as on Windows (which isn't amazing).
>>
>>51322812
>There is NO WAY IN FUCK those are the same graphics settings.
Maybe they're set the same but shit is just broken in Linux, lel.
>>
>>51328688
You have no idea how ARMA works. Talking about theoretical concepts has nothing to do with the implementation of ARMA or its real-world behavior.
>>
>>51328788
All I know that its based on Debian, but probably you know that too
>>
File: 1412757929304.png (185 KB, 456x480) Image search: [Google]
1412757929304.png
185 KB, 456x480
Well, at least we know one thing for certain.
Whatever happens, however much improvement Linux does or doesn't do in gaming, whether or not Microsoft actually produces a decent Windows by some miracle, even if FreeBSD magically turns out to be the most popular OS with best gaming support, even if Wine stops being glitchy one day.
Japan is still gonna stay on XP.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.