[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BIOS hacked - Cure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: cmos1.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
cmos1.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
I have an old (OLD!) laptop that's been thoroughly taken over.

My BIOS PW still works, but the BIOS itself is mangled. The boot order cannot be changed. And I can get a boot menu on screen (which won't allow USB) but which gets ignored and the HDD boots anyway. So I'm having trouble flashing the BIOS, and I doubt it would work anyway.

I took out the CMOS battery in the hope that it will reset the BIOS to factory settings. I assume the BIOS PW is not saved in the BIOS RAM for theft protection. So a corruption of the BIOS wouldn't affect the PW (still works, the hack didn't affect the PW).

Is this likely? Is there anything else I can try? Do I have this all wrong?

inb4 stolen hardware. It's a Fujitsu over ten years old, no one steals those. And I have the Password.
>>
>>51320116
Try to find a copy of the bios to reflash. If you cant you are probably SOL
>>
>>51320736
I have the BIOS, but I need to be able to boot from optical or stick to flash it.
>>
>>51320838
Try unplugging the hdd,it may boot from cd then
>>
I find this really interesting. Give me a few minutes to google it
>>
>>51320851
I will once I have it reassembled.
>>
Remove that battery
>>
>>51320890
Looks like >>51320851 the best option. Should work. Before you do that, make sure after you unplug the CMOS battery you leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes. Also, when you turn the power off, disconnect the power supply to the Motherboard and press the power button again to make sure its completely discharged.
>>
>>51320963
I will leave it over night. I have heard of capacitors... And reassembling it will be a bitch of an hour, there's foil connectors, angled screws, and of course I had to remove the back, screen, keyboard, anything but the heatpipe, to even get to the battery.

So, tomorrow I'll know more.
>>
>>51321009
Excellent. Let us know what happens OP
>>
>>51321188
Not sure how fast /g/ moves, but I will if this is still here.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.