[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth spending a few hundred on a phone right away and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: straight-talk-logo.png (22 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
straight-talk-logo.png
22 KB, 1024x1024
Is it worth spending a few hundred on a phone right away and doing pic related without the contracts?

or even $500-700 for one of the more higher end phones
>>
another one
>>
niggers
>>
again
>>
no phone service threads?
>>
>>51316883
Yes, do away with contracts, and buy 1 year old factory unlocked phones for half the original retail launch prices, you save a ton of money that way.

The cheapest usable plan StraightTalk has is $45/m for unlimited mins/unlimited text/5GB 4g

Tmobile has a cheaper prepaid plan for new customers only now, $30/m for 100 mins/unlimited text/5GB 4g

one thing I dont like about StraightTalk is the phones they sell come with a different firmware than the factory unlocked GSM versions, and they dont have good 3d party ROM support. my friend had StraightTalk and his phone was stuck on 4.4 for EVER because of that.
>>
>>51317134
yeah, so where should i buy one then?

if i do straight talk, then i have to buy one of their specific phones right? but you think it's worth it?
>>
>>51317186
Look up the BYOD policy for StraightTalk maybe they let you use factory unlocked AT&T phones with their SIM card, if so then just get it on Amazon.

Just dont buy Straight talk branded phone.
>>
>>51317239
does it need to be AT&T? the other service ones work, like sprint or verizon
>>
Cricket Wireless

35$/month
100$ Nokia Lumia 635
>>
>>51317310
I dont know what carrier version of phones StraightTalk allows you to use, I just thought I heard that it was AT&t before. Look it up for yourself
>>
>>51317335
okay
>>
>>51317322
Thank God Cricket is a thing. Living in Iowa, we don't really have any frugal carrier options. It's mostly Verizon or US Cellular. Was super amped to get the T-mobil 30 dollar plan and then I saw the coverage.
>>
Never ever buy a phone on contact. It's expensive, "insurance" isn't really and good luck if you lose or break it. You'll either have to pay out the plan or just keep paying the phone off whilst you use a candy bar you picked up on CraigsList because you're now a poorfag.

Most of the Anons in here have the right idea. Buy last years flagship and get a cheap plan. Phones have gone literally nowhere in the past year thanks to SnappedDragon 810 house fire edition.
>>
>>51317134

Furthermore to this post - If you can get your usage metrics for the past year, do so. Spreadsheet it and average it out, then find a plan that fits.

I pay $23AUD for my plan; if I were a Telstra/Optus sheep I'd be paying $60/mth or so. Even factoring in my Zenfone over the course of a regular plan I'm still way in front.
>>
>>51317623
so a galaxy S5?
>>
or you could save even more money by getting a oneplus one or one of the new asus phones.
>>
File: 1409885400112.png (22 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1409885400112.png
22 KB, 510x546
>>51316883
Do some research. Before you buy a phone, find out which carrier has sufficient reception in your area. Look up the places you tend to use your phone the most.

After you've determined which carrier you're using, you can start looking for phones with the appropriate radios. Find out which frequencies your carrier uses. Your phone needs radios at those frequencies.

Shop ebay for phones around 1-2 years old. You can typically find a really nice flagship phone from 2013 for around $200 USD. In my experience Amazon is ALWAYS way over priced for phones.

Use to google to determine if there are any smaller, no-contract tellcoms that lease from your chosen carrier. For instance T-mobile leases to GoSmart. which offers a $30 5GB plan.

After you've found your carrier, done your research, and bought your phone. Put in your simcard set up your APN and get ready to rock.
>>
>>51317961
well, i need one now.

my phone right now is destroyed
>>
>>51317310
Straight Talk is part of Tracfone which has agreements with all the major carriers in the US. Buy a phone that works for the carrier that's strongest in your area and the BYOP to Straight Talk. You WILL want to research this BYOP process though as Tracfone's systems and customer support are a joke.
>>
>>51317817
I did this with the Zenfone, and I'm happy with how little I paid to be off contract. So help you god if you have to go and get customer service though. Thankfully I never have.
>>
Get T-Mobile.

No contracts, no overages, affordable plans with no retarded access charges or shared data, reasonable smartphone financing and lease plans, Wi-Fi Calling, free home Wi-Fi routers and LTE signal boosters, Music Freedom, free service in Canada and Mexico, free data/texting in many more countries, and if you buy at least 3 GB of LTE data, you also have Binge On and Data Stash.

Unless you live in some remote shithole with zero coverage, there is no excuse not to do it.
>>
Straighttalk service sucks outside you're area code. They often send calls made by associates nearby when I'm travelling straight to my voicemail, and then don't notify me about it for over an hour. As soon as I move, I'm ditching this piece-of-shit service. Never again.
>>
Also, if you're buying a phone from a third party, always have your carrier check the IMEI to make sure it's not on the lost/stolen or fraud lists, otherwise you'll have little more than an internet-capable paperweight.
>>
Anyone fuck with ting?
>>
>>51322433
OP here

i'm actually on ting

it's okay i guess, you'll end up paying like $30 if you keep everything minimum and use wifi for internet, your phone has to be compatible with it.
>>
I'm just over a year on straight talk, probably shouldn't have bought a phone directly through straighttalk but it's still totally worth it

The nice thing about straight talk is if you go over the limit they just bump you down to 3g instead of charging you extra.

Totally worth it imo

>>51322433
they have shit coverage in my area, I went with straighttalk because they just use the AT&T towers which are the only ones that aren't dead in my semi-rural area. So straighttalk is basically AT&T minus the bullshit
>>
>>51317186
By the right unlocked phone for your region and the right straight talk simcard and your good. It's cheap service. I have an s6 with it.
>>
>>51322467
it looks like the only good phones straight talk offers are Samsung Galaxies and Iphones..

no HTC? or LG? or any other decent android phones?
>>
>>51322551

Not sure about their selection or if you can use different phones with them, I just got an iphone 5s because I wanted something small with a decent camera
>>
using cricket not bad price and shit bring your own phone from at&t iphone(as long as your in good standing with your phone company you are with currently and you aren't breaking contract and shit then ask them to unlock the phone and bounce g
>>
Use Google project of, $30 a month for amazing coverage and unlimited talk and text
>>
>>51317667
I'd go with an lg g2 or 3 or one of the old xperia flagships
>>
>>51323419
too late

gonna keep ting

but getting a nexus 6p.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.