[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flying Car Traffic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (222 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222 KB, 800x600
How would 'flying car traffic' work?
>>
>>51311466
With no human interaction/drivers. Everything must be automated and controlled by computers.
>>
It wouldnt. It'd the main reason we'll never have flying cars.
Imagine walking down the sidewalk in your neighborhood and getting hit with debris from a car accident that happened a mile above your head. Or even more likely, your house getting it's roof caved in. Car accidents happen often enough on a 2D plane. And then there's drunk drivers...
>>
>>51311466
Watch the Fifth Element.
>>
>>51311537
See >>51311490
>>
>>51311537
>Imagine walking down the sidewalk in your neighborhood
People still do this?
>>
>>51311685
Obviously, Cletus, move out of the suburbs.

Everyone walks here. I walk to work.
>>
>>51311466
Just like flying plane traffic works.
>>
>>51311537
>Imagine walking down the sidewalk in your neighborhood and getting hit with debris from a car accident that happened a mile above your head. Or even more likely, your house getting it's roof caved in. Car accidents happen often enough on a 2D plane. And then there's drunk drivers...
>>51311466

we won't drive them. automated process, prohibiting user control except perhaps in certain situations.

even then, there'd be a failsafe that detects objects and other vehicles and revokes control if collisions are expected.
>>
>>51311704
stop being poor and buy a car
>>
>>51311466
>that pic
>add a third dimension
>people still stuck in traffic
>>
>>51311466
>How would 'flying car traffic' work?
Hundreds of thousands corpses everywhere because humans can barely drive wheeled road vehicles.
>>
>>51311685
People who don't live in shitty suburbs and terribly planned cities do. If you need a car you live in a shitty place
>>
>>51311963
you don't need a car if you're poor
>>
File: facet1.jpg (2 MB, 1581x1042) Image search: [Google]
facet1.jpg
2 MB, 1581x1042
>>51311882
This.

The only part that would be controlled by humans is probably landing and take off. Everything else you'll just enter in an address, and it'll put you in the global traffic system and fly you there.

Here is a map of typical airplane traffic in the US. The rate of accident is near non-existent, and head-on collisions with other airplanes never happens.
>>
>>51311972
those are trained and licensed professionals, not the average american who drive while texting/calling.
>>
>>51311924
>Live in Tokyo
>Literally the most worthless waste of money would be a car

The subway gets me to pretty much every destination in the city faster once you factor in looking for parking unless you want to pay an obscene amount of money for less than 3 hours.
>>
>>51311971
Poor people are the group that need cars the most since they are forced to live in far a way places that nobody else wants to live in and they either aren't served by any public transportation or its extremely limited and over crowded that its impossible to get anywhere on time
>>
File: Taillights--article_image.jpg (16 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Taillights--article_image.jpg
16 KB, 620x349
>>51311466
Reminds me, there was a flying racing car game I played wayy back in 2000~2002. Really wish I could find it again. The only 'unique' thing I remember about it was that the cars had this neat tail light blur behind them, and the first level involved racing in a big city.
>>
>>51312019
For you
>>
>>51311980
Then perhaps you'll need to be a trained and a licensed professional to drive a car. make the requirements really fucking hard.

like +5 years of driving without any accidents
+ 3 years of aviation training
and you'd have to be a minimum 25 years old to even apply.

It'd be nothing like heading a car license. A fucking 14 year old could get those.
>>
File: VOR-ILS.jpg (179 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
VOR-ILS.jpg
179 KB, 600x600
Pilot here,

We have what is called the Hemisphere Rule. For Visual Flight Rules (VFR) traffic, all traffic with a a magnetic heading of 0-179 degrees flys at odd altitudes (3000 feet, 5000 feet etc.) and all traffic with a heading of 180-360 flys even headings.

Another way it could work is through something similar to the Instrument Landing System (ILS). For a precision instrument approach, the pilot lines up two needles that get their readings from a radio signal; it is used when landing in Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) and the runway can't be seen due to clouds or what ever.

>Pic related
Its the ILS gauge, the pilot keeps the needles in the form of a crosshair (one for lateral movement and one for vertical movement.)
>>
>>51311466

2D roads vs 3D roads

Pretty fucking easy.
>>
>hack the car's system so that they have full control
>would be even easier for terrorists to dive bomb into buildings
>immigrants would use it to cross the border
>mfw I'd fly to japan(carry shitload of gas in it)

yeah..no
>>
>>51311982
Same in London man

London Underground IS the way of getting around here, the traffic is fucking horrific in the streets
>>
>>51312196
>yeah..no

This was you realizing just how retarded your post was, right?
>>
File: 1837545-620281_20120213_003.jpg (159 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1837545-620281_20120213_003.jpg
159 KB, 960x540
>>51312019
>>Reminds me, there was a flying racing car game I played wayy back in 2000~2002. Really wish I could find it again. The only 'unique' thing I remember about it was that the cars had this neat tail light blur behind them, and the first level involved racing in a big city.
wipeout?
>>
>>51311466
with a bunch of devices at different altitudes in grids above roads to control the flow of traffic (we currently call these traffic lights) or grids for traffic to flow on (we currently call these roads)

gps wouldn't work in big cities around skyscrapers. it couldn't be relied on to set anything but a waypoint, knowing which flyroads to use and intersections to turn at. creating the infrastructure for flying traffic would be costly, considering we already have flying cars at that point (we currently call these planes)

then you have to consider making self-driving AI functional in three dimensions. the entire point of that system would be congestion control. consider a standard road where 9 people want to make a right and have to take turns in line making that right. with flying roads, you can just have stacks of flyroads above existing roads, so all 9 of said cars can make a right at the same time. but consider that after the right turn, stack 1 has traffic, 9 does not, how do you distribute the cars so there is less traffic? how does a car at the bottom of the stack handle an approaching merging vehicle coming from stack 5? how do the vehicles inbetween those stacks react? it'd be easier to program such AI if vertical maneuvers were not allowed.
>>
>>51312019
Yeah, played that one as well. It had some taxi in it, right?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.