[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pip ermail/desktop/2015-Octo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Richard-Stallman.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Stallman.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-October/012985.html

>3rd party software - I expect us to have and agreement with Matthew Miller on a final design of labeling and availability of 3rd party software in time for it to be implemented and available in Fedora 24. So that people can install major software like Chrome, Skype, Spotify, Steam, Viber and more through GNOME Software in Fedora Workstation 24. People involved - Richard Hughes (mclasen), Kalev Lember (mclasen), Matthew Miller (Fedora)

I'm disappointed Red Hat slowly becoming like Canonical and encourage using proprietary garbage. What happened to only open source policy?
>>
>>51309902
>What happened to only open source policy?

They figured out that proprietary software it's just better. Rip in pizza open babby.
>>
File: 2007_0607stallman0029.jpg (27 KB, 593x445) Image search: [Google]
2007_0607stallman0029.jpg
27 KB, 593x445
>>51309948
That kills the freedom
>>
>>51309902
if it's not installed by default then what is the problem?
>>
>>51309902
I expect it to be done as an option during installation - do you want to enable third party repos? So Fedora itself won't host any proprietary software, just allow the user to enable the repos.

IMO it's not really something to be concerned about. The system itself is still FOSS, you're just saving new users a few clicks and some frustration when they inevitably want to install [proprietary program XYZ] and have to wonder why it's not in the repos and jewgle how to enable it.
>>
I don't mind proprietary software, I mind good code obfuscation tools hehe
>>
>>51309948
how much are you getting paid to post this?
>>
>>51309983
>what is the problem?
It is encouraging them using proprietary software. It should stay at RPMfusion, but not in the default GNOME software.
>>
>>51309983
It's giving them freedom.
>>
Good.

most folks use some piece of proprietary software anyways, so why not give them a OS-controlled way of obtaining it?

As of now, fedora is quite complicated, when it comes to installing tings like spotify.

As long as they dont force anyone to install that stuff, I dont see a problem.

But wait, I do see a problem!

rpmfusion is a mess right now (eg. not available for EPEL7), and unlike this proprietary repo, rpmfusion is simply mandatory to have a usable (desktop) system. I am going to stay on f20, until they either fix KDE5, or fix rpmfusion for EPEL7
>>
>>51309902
They realized freetard software is garbage.
>>
File: 1234755874.jpg (20 KB, 225x240) Image search: [Google]
1234755874.jpg
20 KB, 225x240
>>51309902
Reminder that pretty much every gnu/lunix desktop screenshot posted on this board has skype, chrome and even more shit-tier software installed.

Basically people are retarded
>>
>>51309902
Because trying to make the world FOSS is a lost cause. It's not going to happen. At most you'll be able to get it done for your own devices but why would you then go out and try to force it on others by not making the software they want available?
>>
>>51311624
This baka desu senpai lad pal m8
>>
A combination of this >>51311654 and the fact that such policies are slowly killing the distros that stick to them. Ubuntu is rapidly becoming the only distro worth using because it doesn't give a fuck a freetards.
>>
>>51311624
>using skype or chrome
>>
>>51311519
>most folks use some piece of proprietary software anyways, so why not give them a OS-controlled way of obtaining it?

because for the longest time fedora has been one step away from being fsf approved - not using the linux-libre kernel over mainline, otherwise whatever you installed on fedora from the official repos would be libre - it's like the reverse situation of debian where debian is libre upon install but has nonfree stuff in their repos (or provides users with instruction on installing nonfree software)

rpmfusion bridged the gap between installing most shit software, albeit rpmfusion are picky (won't package amd catalyst because amd suck at drivers, mumble was no longer available in fedora 23 and compiling it is a pain in the ass as some libraries aren't in rpmfusion anymore either) - and all other major but shitty software provide their own repos for fedora anyway (chrome, flash, skype that I can think of)

this change is only good for people who literally can't run a command that all these websites provide anyway (rpmfusion, chrome, flash, skype) and is shitty for people who want a libre experience out the box without the hassle of having to run linux-libre
>>
>>51312115
So what you're really saying right now is that in the current state Fedora is a shitty choice for everyone. From FSF freetards, to debian style freetards and for people don't give a shit about FOSS.
>>
>>51311624
>"it's shit because it's nonfree!"
>"I-I-I mean, I can download and use it for free, it's just that I can't read the source code!"
>"w-w-hat do you mean I wasn't gonna read it anyway, I was going to get around to it once I finish this codecademy course on C!"
>>
>>51312171
>So what you're really saying right now is that in the current state Fedora is a shitty choice for everyone.

it's a shitty choice for people who want proprietary media codecs out the box - otherwise it takes literally 5 seconds to install rpmfusion repos to get all the nonfree codecs and 99% of software you could need (barring chrome/flash/skype (all provide their own fedora repos), mumble (reasons), mpv (reasons), libdvdcss (most distros won't touch this with a 10 foot pole, livna repo provide it for fedora), amd catalyst prorpietary drivers (discontinued piece of shit software that constantly requires patching to even compile and run, won't work with gnome, is being replaced by amd's unified open source driver slowly))

there's plenty of repos that fuck with packages and apply patches and provide non-free software out of the box, fedora isn't one of those, but as a result it's one of the most stable and most bleeding edge distros out there with almost nothing in the official repos that will break your system
>>
>>51311873
Ubuntu lets you install non-free drivers easily. I doubt there is much more than that. I myself use ubuntu and have a shitload of packages installed, yet only a short list of them is non-free, according to vrms.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.