[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What open souce programs are better than their commercial equivalents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: yt.jpg (89 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
yt.jpg
89 KB, 720x720
What open souce programs are better than their commercial equivalents?
>>
Gimp
>>
>>51303726
all of them
>>
nginx, apache, any browser, any video player (including mpc-hc), any irc client, any shell, any text editor, any compiler
>>
Linux
>>
OpenMW
>>
who's the semon deleter?
>>
Wine
>>
>>51303726
this:>>51303785

All of them.
They respect the users freedoms (if by "open source" you mean Free, as in freedom).
This is why they are better. Always.

>Being a slave to the code-jew
>>
>>51303726
wincdemu
verilator
chromium > chrome
>>
>>51303726

these are objectively better:
ffmpeg, apache, gcc

these are subjectively better:
blender, mpv, evince
>>
>>51304048
>gcc
>not using clang+llvm master race
enjoy your horribru compile times
>>
Is that skin diamond
>>
Idk, but I use Gimp, Audacity, VLC, Handbrake, Firefox, 7zip, and Filezilla even on Windows machines.
>>
Is there any good non free media player
>>
>>51304102
enjoy your slightly slower code and no openmp 4 or silk plus
>>
>>51303726
gcdemu is fucking amazing at mounting discs (used it to mount disc images for SSF under Wine on Linux), provided an overall nicer experience than the same thing on Windows with Daemon Tools
VLC is better than any commercial/closed source player (and there's better options than VLC for general playback).
Apache is THE webserver, the commercial market for server software kind of died out because of it.
no one likes IE, and all the other options are open source so they win by default

that's all I can think of

>>51303746
there's like 3 basic editing features that Photoshop has that kill Gimp for me, ignoring Gimp's stupid interface that I've finally learned
>non destructive layer edits (seriously, this one's easy conceptually, but I bet if I looked at the Gimp source, there'll be some bullshit that makes it a right pain in the dick to implement)
>operations upon multiple layers at the same time
>shape support (no, I'm not doing vector graphics so don't tell me to use Inkscape, I'm putting shapes on a bitmap you fucks, I don't want to have to break my workflow into multiple programs)
>>
>>51303726
pf. It's also better than any other open source equivalent too. It's the best, period.
>>
MySQL (vs Oracle / SQL Server)
Freeciv (vs Sid Meier games)
>>
>>51304399
>not npf
>>
open source SQL database and web server are objectively better
>>
>>51303726
foobar if your music is well organized
>>
File: SQLite370.svg.png (10 KB, 320x152) Image search: [Google]
SQLite370.svg.png
10 KB, 320x152
>>
>>51306774
I thought foobar was closed source?
>>
>>51303746
I can in 3 clicks split an image at 4k into four 1080p images with photoshop.

It takes at least 4 minutes to do it in gimp.

You can run cracked, pre-activated photoshop CC in wine tho, so I'm happy as hell.
>>
>>51306812
Oracle Enterprise Database.
>>
>>51303726
Even .NET is open source now
>>
>>51306946
I can in 5 seconds split an image at 4k into four 1080p images with Gimp script-fu.

It takes at least 3 clicks to do it in photoshop.
>>
>>51306986
>needing scripts to do simple tasks
this is why gimp is not a good alternative to photoshop
>>
>>51306986
I can make a photoshop plugin that will do it in one click, and be on toolbar. Of course we can all make shit work better with addons and plugins, but out-of-the-box Photoshop much more smoothly, quickly, and objectively more efficiently. It's also clean, where gimp is a filthy mess. Gimp is more Unix philosophy, and Photoshop is more Jew philosphy, but who cares, it's about getting the job done, and the time it takes to get there.
>>
>>51303826
All of these

And Linux. Though it's not actually just a program, but if you consider it an equivalent to proprietary/server Unix solutions like SCO Unixware, Solaris, or Xenix. It can kick the shit out of them all. Windows is a different animal, entirely, so it's hard to say how it relates.
>>
>>51307025
I can make a Gimp plugin that will do it in one click, and be on the toolbar.

>>51307015
I don't think you understand the meaning of computer programming. Features exist because somebody wrote a program in the past. If it doesn't exist, somebody has to write it to make it happen.
>>
Gcc, clang, ffmpeg, nginx, freeBSD (lol, solaris/UXfags), intelliJ community, lighttable, mpv, etc

>>51303826
>any text editor

I dunno, emacs and vim aren't text editors, but runtime environments that can function as text editors, and most of the rest are pretty shitty.
>>
>>51307025
> but who cares, it's about getting the job done, and the time it takes to get there.

lol yeah rite just make do with what you have venture capitalists and researchers are fucking useless

works for now > extensible and maintainable later
>>
File: 1427020749624-0.png (189 KB, 619x933) Image search: [Google]
1427020749624-0.png
189 KB, 619x933
>>51303726
Android
Syncthing
Slide For Reddit
Transmission
AdAway/Ublock Origin
Tensor Flow
Chrom(e/ium/)
Dimmer
NewPipe
VLC
Xabber

These applications are easily the best at what they do.

There's also some types of software where the proprietary versions don't even exist like:
Encryption methods
Console emulators
etc
>>
I never see git mentioned in these threads. Git is undoubtedly the best VCS, as anyone who has the misfortune of using any other VCS will tell you.
>>
OBS
>>
>>51303746
Gimp has a really poor performance. Try to use a drawing tablet with it.
>>
File: 1438567290060.png (377 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438567290060.png
377 KB, 1280x720
>>51304287
Nice retort, anon-chan.
>>
>>51304503
>MySQL
>OracleDB
Those are shit because Oracle is a shit company.
>>
>>51307267
I wouldn't be drawing very much using Gimp. If I wanted to draw, I'd be using a program dedicated to drawing as Gimp is not one of those programs.
>>
i made a list with i had use
http://pastebin.com/dHLHnWDr
>>
>>51307267
it's not really designed for that, try krita
>>
>>51307297
*some open some gpl some propietary
>>
I don't know why people even mention Photoshop anymore. It's a fucking rental. Adobe needs to die a most painful death sooner rather than later.
>>
>>51307343
I'm a photographer and lightroom is a required piece of software if you want a job. I dislike it and photoshop as much as you but we have no choice.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.