[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Desktop Linux is nothing more than a Facebook/Anime/Fizz buzz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: 1369922453088.gif (2 MB, 350x258) Image search: [Google]
1369922453088.gif
2 MB, 350x258
Desktop Linux is nothing more than a Facebook/Anime/Fizz buzz machine, useless for any kind of productive work, even OS X has some commerical software, no matter how many distros the retards come up with, the quality is never there.
Using software for political reasons is the dumbest thing you can do, you should get out of your basement and learn that an OS is a tool and nothing more.
>>
Are you any better by telling people that their choice is shit?

Maybe instead of ass-fucking your high horse you could be a bit better and not talk about it at all.

fag
>>
>>51303645
What a salty little faggot you are.
>>
>>51303628
But how else will autists spend their time in their mother's basement other than fiddling with Linux?
>>
>>51303645
Someone got hurt.
>>
>>51303661
They could learn commercial software development on OS X or Windows, get a job, and move out of their mom's basement.
>>
cool thread dude
>>
>>51303730
another salty little faggot
>>
>>51303628
I agree, but if you don't at least have a Linux server running at home (or pay for one to be hosted remotely) you're a pleb. it's infinitely useful
>>
Treat this as a casual question with only curiosity at heart:

What is productive work for you?

Now I ask this because the answer certainly changes between users. Personally I care less about the justification of your chosen OS however I would deeply appreciate your answer for the previous question.
>>
>>51303760
No it's not. Microsoft gives me a Terabyte of cloud space. I don't need a server.

>>51303763
Gamedev, programming, word processing, browsing, and gaming.
>>
>>51303778
>i need a big bloated IDE to do anything
i hope you don't call yourself a programmer
>>
>>51303778
>gaming
>productive work
ishhidiggy
>>
>>51303778
>implying you need the server for disk space
>implying the OS would matter if that were the case
I'm just guessing you aren't a developer
>>
>>51303760
It is, that's what i said, on the server it's great but for a desktop OS it's shit.
>>
>>51303814
> I write fizzbuzz in C over and over again in Emacs like it's 1985.
>>51303818
You're just jealous cuz you can't have fun on Linux.
>>51303820
I am in school for CS. 18 months left and I am a developer.
>>
Windows for desktop/home server/media/videogames streamed to TV.

Linux for laptop. Lightweight programs and sshing into home server which runs windows or using uni servers that run on Linux also.

Anything else is pure retardation.
>>
>>51303868
Man, I don't know why but I feel the need to call you a faggot, faggot.
>>
>>51303905
I game on my laptop, which is why it has a 17" screen and runs Windows. Stay mad Linuxfag.
>>
>>51303868
You sound more retarded than those undergrad engineering majors who talk down on med students because this is literally the only thing they have going on in their lives.
>>
>>51303763
Same fag here, thanks for the answer.

Seems we're not so different.
Composing music has been my practice for awhile (to aid in game development), and although I was able to find work arounds for most Windows applications, I found myself spending the majority of my leftover time making shit compatible (which isn't much as I'm a pump installer in the middle of the California water crisis).

Maybe I lack intelligence and render a bit dodgy with discipline but it does get old having to do this for everything I use daily even if it is only once.
>>
>>51303916
Are you too poor to buy Windows or something? Or are you afraid that the NSA will find your CP collection?
>>
I will switch to full Linux world soon. Can't wait.

Btw posting from my Linux laptop.
>>
It's funny how people get pissy about this sort of thing because not only does every computer in our lab use GNU/Linux but every web hosting company, bank and airport that I've been to also uses GNU/Linux.
>>
File: wow dude.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wow dude.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>51303933
Is your time so worthless that you resort to trolling on a mongolian passport counterfeiting BBS?
Don't lay it on so thick next time.
>>
>>51303628
>Implying most computers used by consumers aren't anime/fizzbuzz machines.

Toppest of keks. Next you'll tell us that a person's choice of operating system is actually important for anything other than starting arguments on image boards.
>>
>>51303763
Productive work for me is Linux admin stuff, writing in plaintext formats,making music, and a bit of programming. Linux works great for what I do, and has been the enabling force behind my career so far.
>>
>>51303990
If you use Linux unironically, you're a fag, no exceptions.
>>
>>51303628
You do realize that Linux is used mostly in professional environments.

Just an example, all commercial flights uses a linux based software for their main system. If you don't believe me just google it.

Also, you're just being delusional.
>>
>>51304002
>this is a fishing pole
>he just threw it into the water
>>
>>51303990
With Steam you could even do gaming on Linux. How can Linux be so awesome?

Oh right, because it's not a closed source OS made in NSA/America
>>
>>51303694
We all know this will never happen.
>>
>>51303915
>game on my laptop
>>
>>51304002
>If you use anything other than Linux unironically, you're a fag, no exceptions
Fixed your typo, friend.
>>
>>51304023
Notice how he said Desktop Linux.

Desktop Linux is basically useless for anything serious, it's the definition of a meme hipster OS.
>>
>>51303990
Thank you for your answer.
It makes absolute sense to me why you wouldn't change it for the world.

I have an unhealthy comfort zone with Windows and I've only been using Linux for about a year now- I feel completely okay admitting the possibility of me not utilizing it to the best of its ability.

I can't fool you, I'm as casual as it gets with Linux but who knows maybe I can figure it out like you did.
>>
>>51303974
Haha so many kewl mems in one post, even a smug anime girl reaction pic, you aren't one bit better than him now are you?
>>
File: 1393796383102.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1393796383102.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>51303915
>I game on my laptop,

"I game"
>>
>>51303628
Matlab works on linux, and that's pretty much all the commerical software I "need."
>>
>>51303628
The OS was a tool till the mid 00s. Not . It's a complex nsa spying tool.
>>
>>51304023
Yeah ur mums anime-themed basement is sure a professional environment.
The only professional thing this board has somewhat going is programming and most programmers from developed world that worth some shit use os x as their everyday os.
>>
>>51303694
>coding for proprietary softwares
I'd rather be a neckbeard NEET loser than stoop that low.
>>
>>51303868
Spotted the mad Schönherz resident.
>>
>>51304519
Look at all those edges.
Man if you really are an awesome better-than everyone outsider who gives no hecks then learn the game and use the rules to your advantage, not sit there in the corner daydreaming about your anime waifu. This shit is just plain pathetic.
>>
>he shills Microsoft for free
Kill yourself, kek.
>>
>>51303628
>>51303778
>/g/ - Technology
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.