[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wtf Ubuntu? Open up package manager to install steam, click
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: dUntitled-1.png (11 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
dUntitled-1.png
11 KB, 1000x500
Wtf Ubuntu?

Open up package manager to install steam, click "Buy" because it's free so why just have a download button? Then I get to a screen asking me to log in with some ubuntuone account shit. Get mad take a screen shot and the screen flashes white and makes a retarded camera click noise... who the fuck things that these things are good features?
>>
>>51302827
>install steam
Why didn't you just download the .deb from http://store.steampowered.com/about/ like a normal person?

Are you severely autistic?
>>
>>51302847
Yeah probably should have done this. It would have added the repo too, so you could keep it updated.
>>
>>51302827
>using nigbuntu
>any year
>expecting it to not cater to nignogs that need these visual and audio cues to make sense of "cmpooters"
ayylmao
>>
>>51302827
Just use Fedora like a normal person senpai.
>>
File: dibs bedora.gif (3 MB, 312x250) Image search: [Google]
dibs bedora.gif
3 MB, 312x250
>>51303009
>fedora
>normal person
>>
Just get Xubuntu. It is just as "user-friendly" as Ubuntu but doesn't have all the bloat.
>>
>>51303044

coincidentally, pic related is the type of person who won't use fedora based on the name alone
>>
>>51303044
This, Gentoo or bust. Hell look at our wiki page, all other distros are just memes.
>>
>>51302827
Literally just go to store.steampowered.com and download the .deb file. It's so much easier.
>>
>>51302827
just apt install steam you mongoloid
>>
>>51302827
Holy shit, so I did the download file thing, installed steam, and downloaded Dota 2.

But now I get "Failed to create an OpenGL context. Your graphics card must support at least OpenGL v3.1."

I have a fucking 290 ffs.
>>
>>51303460
are you using the proprietary driver, or is this the first time you've picked up a linux distro?
>>
>>51303478
I just installed Ubuntu about 6 hours ago.
>>
>using nonfree software

retard.
>>
>>51303488
oh, well install the proprietary driver using the 'Additional Drivers' program that comes with ubuntu.
>>
>>51303502
last I checked steam was free, and so are all the games I use it to play.
>>
>>51303516
jesus fucking christ newfag.

please tell me retards like you are just trolls, because otherwise I just want to kill myself.
>>
>not using sudo apt-get install steam
>>
Default Ubuntu is garbage mate. Xubuntu is more acceptable, but you should be using Debian stable.
>>
>>51303523
Even if he was a troll, you would be taking the bait pretty hard.

Fuck off and go install arch again m8
>>
>>51303511
No don't, the amd drivers in the main repo aren't patched yet. You need to enable the Wily-proposed repository.
>>
>>51303516
Free as in freedom not free as in free beer.
>>
>>51303516
Implying steam is free. That's disgusting. Why even bother with linux if you're still gonna try to play video games?

Honestly OP, if you want video games, just stick with NSA/Windows.
>>
>>51303511
It was on "Using X.Org X server..... (open source, tested)"

Changed it to "Using Video driver for AMD..... fglrx-updates (proprietary)"

Same error... fml
>>
>>51303604
did you restart?
that is a thing you need to do.
>>
I have literally never seen an intelligent person who uses Steam and Linux at the same time.
>>
>>51303624
Because Linux got no games.
>>
>>51302827
just in case, remember that steam is a 32-bit app, you need 32-bit libraries (this command is for 14.04, choose your desired stack ie trudsty, utopic, vivid, etc)
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic:i386
>>
>>51303617
Well for whatever reason that worked. Hopefully the rest of my delve into this thing works better.
>>
>>51303589
>Honestly OP, if you want video games, just stick with NSA/Windows.
there's people who likes linux more in general, just saying
>>
>>51303682
installing steam through apt does that automatically now

>>51303704
glad to hear
>>
>>51303624
I mean the entire reason I wanted to try it out was because I heard about steam boxes and knew I could dual boot instead of wasting money on a dedicated one. Thought it would be a good chance to give Linux a try.
>>
>>51303724
Steam-OS does all of the driver setup for you.

Other than that, Steam-OS is just another linux distro
>>
>>51303682
>remember that steam is a 32-bit app
Interesting, I know I have 64 bit 14.04 Ubuntu so you think I will run into issues?
>>
>>51303739
Yeah, that is why I went with Ubuntu LTS, heard it was a good stable system to use.
>>
>>51303757
the .10's are stable, the LTS's are just supported for waaaay longer and are usually loads less up to date.
>>
>>51303745
32 bit apps are compatible with 64-bit OS. This goes for OSX and Windows too.
>>
>>51303779
Why wouldn't the LTS be more stable? seems counter intuitive.
>>
>Have problem
>type problem into google
>Solution on first or second page

/thread
>>
>>51303460
>I have a fucking 290 ffs.
amd drivers for linux are shit.
theres a reason why steamos still doesn't support amd graphic cards.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.