[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IDE for Python
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Python_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png (20 KB, 640x190) Image search: [Google]
Python_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png
20 KB, 640x190
Hi /g/
I am a programming beginner and decided to start with Python. What IDE would you advise and why ?
Also, some resources for learning ?
>>
>>51300995
I forgot to mention that I want to work on linux.
>>
>>51300995
Pycharm. /thread
>>
>>51300995
Pycharm or Rodeo
>>
>>51300995
rubymine or clion
>>
>>51300995
Gnome Builder
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
>>
>>51301230
this
>>
>>51301230
My man
>>
Dont use an ide for python
>>
>>51301950
literally worst advice possible to make
>>
>>51300995

Pycharm is great but if you're just learning it's important to avoid too much hand holding IMO - also a full IDE will serve to complicate things when you should just be learning the language.

Try starting off with a less complex editor with Python syntax highlighting, like Atom/Brackets/Notepad++.

Also you should look into pip (python package manager) and virtualenv (for running self-contained python environments).

You can always introduce an IDE later!

Good luck OP. Python is a good language to learn with, and teaches good habits. Plus it's a lot of fun!
>>
>>51300995
> import perl as language
> my IDE = 'none';
>>
>>51300995
vim
>>
I don't use an IDE but a text editor. I use vim! It's great!

If I'm on someone's windows machine, I'll use IDLE as it usually comes with python. But someone once ranted to me about how IDLE is evil and can break things, but I can't remember why...
>>
>>51302193
last time i checked vim (even with all the plugins available) was not an IDE
>>
>>51300995
>python
>IDE
>ever
>>
I use Pycharm. It's been helpful for a few things during debugging and keeping with the preferred style guide. People saying not to use an IDE are turbocool people desu senpai. There's no end-all be-all for this, use what you're comfortable with.
>>
>>51300995

visual studio 2015 + IronPython

//thread.exe exited 0x0
>>
>>51302082
>>51300995

This. What he should have said was not to use an IDE for programming, period. At least not as a beginner. The goal is to learn to code. That should be your focus. All you need is your preferred text editor, and a compiler/interpreter. Anything more will just distract and sidetrack you.

Also, don't learn Python as your first language. Learn C. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, and it will teach you to think like a programmer, and not a script kiddie.
>>
>>51302224
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as Vim is, in fact, Vim/Gnu/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Vim plus Gnu plus Linux. Vim is not an IDE unto itself, but rather an important free component of a fully functioning development system made useful by the Gnu/Linux environment, complete with shell utilities and development toolsets comprising a full Integrated Development Environment.
>>
Eclipse with PyDev :^)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.