[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to get the power of Unix on windows? >virtual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: wallhaven-220599.jpg (524 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-220599.jpg
524 KB, 1920x1080
What is the best way to get the power of Unix on windows?
>virtual machine
>mingw
>cygwin
>powershell
>>
>>51294186
install gentoo
>>
>>51294194
This
>>
>>51294194
Ive installed several flavours of debian/ubuntu.
They always have problems here and there with my hardware...

I realized windows is a better desktop OS.
But I still want Linux/unix for development...
>>
>>51294224
well obviously you need to install gentoo then.
>>
>>51294224
You can't have that because you're probably a part of an anti-apple religious club, but osx is exactly that, just saying.
>>
>>51294186
ignore windows, buy a mac

>Unix
>"professional" 3rd party software
>>
>>51294186

Yuu and Ai are so fucking hot

hnggggggggggggg
>>
>>51294186
>having to emulate Linux
The year of the Linux desktop should come soon.

This can only really happen when amd starts to give their drivers to Linux so the gamers will migrate.
>>
babun
>>
>>51295190
It'll take more than drivers. It'll take games and an actual reason to switch. Maybe being free will help but I don't think it's enough of a reason for most.

I just recently built a PC and I usually run Linux but this time I just don't see a reason in it. Windows 10 runs smoothly so the only reason I can see in using Linux is just a hobby thing and messing around. At least in a desktop setting.
>>
>>51295738
Steam os.

Steam machines.

And less of a reason but just a reason I would rather have games on Linux - riceability.

If games were actually on Linux, is there a reason for 99% of gamers who mostly are nerds that would switch anyways to stay with Windows?
>>
>>51294186
Is this official art? Are these drawings sponsored by Microsoft?
>>
>>51295798

Yeeap

http://www.windows-naviplus.jp/event/win8/
>>
>>51295768
Even if you imagine some fantasy world where games and hardware on win and linux have the exact same support most users still won't bother with CLI and having to try something new in general.
And that fantasy world won't happen for a number of reasons that make linux into what it is.
>>
>>51295158
Fuck that, Claudia makes my dick hard
>>
>>51295854
Jesus... the Windows 8 sisters have this sublime combination of being cute and hot at the same time.

God bless Microsoft.
>>
>>51294186

Install the latest WMF/Powershell as well as Chocolatey; manage your system state using Ansible+DSC with Rundeck job scheduler to enforce baseline configuration and update packages via chocolatey.
>>
File: 1447131452356.jpg (233 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1447131452356.jpg
233 KB, 1280x800
>>51294186
>>51295923
Microsoft have the best taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7aJ_vjIXwc
>>
>open official Microsoft PR images
>PhotoDNA kicks in

Thanks Bill
>>
File: screen_vim.png (52 KB, 827x484) Image search: [Google]
screen_vim.png
52 KB, 827x484
>>51294186
this desu senpai
http://babun.github.io/
>>
>>51296436
I was just about to recommend him cygwin but this looks even better. Thank you senpai.
>>
>>51294186
setup a headless linux box on your network

ssh into it with PuTTY for all your unix needs
>>
>>51296636
This, really.

SSH/VNC to it if you need to need graphical stuff.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.