[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you seamlessly install any GNU/Linux distribution on a Macbook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: overview_display_hero.jpg (125 KB, 1100x648) Image search: [Google]
overview_display_hero.jpg
125 KB, 1100x648
Can you seamlessly install any GNU/Linux distribution on a Macbook Pro as your primary operating system, replacing OS X?

Why wouldn't you want to do this?
>>
Why would I use an inferior os
>>
>>51293193
Because it's a garbage computer. As soon as Skylake came out, the competition skyrocketed past the rMBP in battery life, performance, display quality and weight. The rMBP now feels like a 5 year old computer.
>>
>>51293210
>Linux
>inferior OS

Choose one, Apple shill.
Your shitty sugarcoated UNIX is nothing.
Enjoy your easily leaked nudes and botnet~
>>
>>51293213
>the competition skyrocketed past the rMBP
Example?
>>
>>51293210
/thread
>>
>>51293193
>Why wouldn't you want to do this?
Because Chromebook Pixel is better.
>>
>>51293193
You can do this, it largely works fine though there are some caveats. Namely firmware updates for your device are bundled with osx software updates, but as long as there are no major bugs to fix you wont care.

Internet recovery makes getting back to a vanilla mac install super easy, so go for it if you want.
>>
File: 144633600032.jpg (215 KB, 574x565) Image search: [Google]
144633600032.jpg
215 KB, 574x565
>>51293237
Lmao youre so delusional i actually giggled irl
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-11_22-16-04.png (293 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-11_22-16-04.png
293 KB, 1280x800
>2015
>not having linux on your macbook
Nice meme
>>
>>51293337
32GB Storage, any way to expand?
>>
>>51295424
SD card that sits flush so yeah
>>
>>51295450
Noice, how are the read speeds from SD? Would it be slow to load Linux programs off of it if you dual boot? Would Linux even fit on the internal storage?
>>
>>51295476
Fast enough in a pinch though I prefer to use SD cards for media storage.

ChromeOS itself is really small. I imagine you would have plenty of space left for applications and then some beyond a Linux distribution on there too
>>
>>51293193
>why wouldn't you do this
Because most people that buy Macbooks do this because the 'just werkz' factor, which is quite high.

Also the few individuals in the GNU/Linux community with money actually run Linux on a macbook. For example: Linus Torvalds.
>>
>>51295564

You mean chromebook pixel in the case of linus
>>
>>51293193
reload
>>
File: apertura-linus-torvalds[1].jpg (387 KB, 1268x664) Image search: [Google]
apertura-linus-torvalds[1].jpg
387 KB, 1268x664
>>51295575
I doubt he uses the Pixel. It has too limited storage. It has the potential to become something amazing yet chose to be a facebook machine.
>>
>>51295605
No seriously though, Google it. He does.
>>
>>51295622
so you're telling me that picture I posted is photoshopped?
Besides he's rich as fuck, he probably uses both. Anyway I wouldn't feel comfortable with 32gb flash memory and only an SD card to expand this.
>>
>>51295476

not him, but lubuntu fits on my 8Gb SSD. The base install itself takes about 4Gb, 1Gb for swap partition cuz I have 1 gb of ram in this bad boy.

I installed a few programs (emulators, mesa-utils) and I'm left with 1.7 Gb free.

I have another system with Lubuntu on a 16Gb ssd. Got a 32 gb drive coming in the mail.

These netbooks pre-date m-sata so I'm stuck with PATA-though-miniPCIe. The largest I could find is 64 gb, but I'm not paying 90 bucks for 70 Mb/s
>>
>>51295651
No just old. He used to use a MacBook Air. I forget the year but it's the one that had good compatibility before the next years version sucked for it.
>>
>>51293193
>Why wouldn't you want to do this?
Because all the hardware control OS X provides cannot be done with another OS. You can put OS X in a really small partition though.
>>
>>51295476
>>51293337
>>51295509
Linux run on video game consoles, routers , phones,and old computers. Hell ChromeOS itself is Linux distribution as well. Chromebook has the easiest installation to run Linux on the market(Crouton).

You don't realize how tiny Linux is. Crouton allows to dual boot Ubunutu and ChromeOS.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
>>
>Broadcom WiFi chip
>Mac UEFI abortion
>seamlessly install
no
>>
>>51295736
and let's not forget the shitty keyboard config
>>
>>51295721
I think his point is why would you settle for 32gb flash memory and an SD card?
Besides nobody wants to use crouton if you can have a real installation as well.
>>
>>51293213
This isn't even [citation needed]

it's entry reverted due to vandalism level bullshit
>>
Why would you? User experience is superior on os x, trackpad drivers are much better, battery life too, you can get most of proprietary software on os x while having most of linux turds available through homebrew, and all that without your computer shitting itself all the time, so why even bother?
>>
>>51293210
>Why wouldn't I wanna eat shit from my hands
>>
>>51295795
this, also OS X looks beautiful without any ricing anyways. Design is consistent anywhere in the system.
>>
>>51295795
>i've never used linux
>>
>>51293337
>even the fucking pic he posts shows that MBP is superior
>still shills for Pixel

>>51295736
>being too dumb to install another OS

>>51295864
>implying ANY Loonix distru is usable right after install on a laptop
>>
Because OSX is better than Linux in literally every way.

Yes, Linux will work fine on a Macbook, but you'll get shittier battery life, the system will run hot, trackpad will become Windows-tier, will be giving up seamless hidpi support... there's simply no upside to it.
>>
>>51295935
>COMES RUNNING IN DEFENDING HIS MACBOOK
>THINKS ANYBOOK WHO DOESN'T LIKE HIS MACBOOK IS SHILLING.

>>51295748
You could do a real installation if you want to with Chromebooks, then use external Hard drives for the storage. Chromebook have CorebooT, and Libreboot. There not much reason to use Macbooks as Linux Laptops.
>>
>>51293193
it is possible
because macbooks are expensive, and nobody enjoys throwing money away
>>
>>51296037
>posting graph that shows A is superior to B
>claiming that B is superior
>not shilling
>>
>>51293193
Yeah, you can, it's pretty nice.
I of course can't say for certain about the newer ones, but I have an early 2013 (i think?) non-retina version and Debian Stable works like a dream.
>>
>>51295960
>get shittier battery life, the system will run hot, trackpad will become Windows-tier, will be giving up seamless hidpi support

prove it, gay shitposter
>>
>>51295736
seamlessly doesn't mean not having to install one proprietary driver
>>51295693
like what?
>>
>>51296064
Are you so pathetic that you think anybody has a opinion different then you is shilling? Fanboyism is not astroturfing. Chromebook Pixel offers Good Performance/Ratio, Equal or better Display/Size/Battery quality to 13-inch Macbook Pro, and and better hardware compatibility to Linux.
>>
>spend $2000 to run OS X on supported hardware
>install shitnux
lol
>>
>>51296160
mostly control over the fans and trackpad
>>
>>51296215
>Chromebook Pixel offers Good Performance/Ratio
Performance is WAY below the Pro though.

>Equal Display/Size
Pretty much.

>Better Battery
Sure.

>better hardware compatibility to Linux
Pretty equal.

So for now you have a slower machine with better battery life and better price. Then there is the 32GB SSD and it becomes a joke. No, having software on SD card, is not an alternative. Buying a fucking ultrabook with an SSD and then being forced to have shitty storage performance kills the point. Isn't it connected to USB 2.0 fuck fucks sake?

Why would you downgrade to SD cards to save few bucks AFTER buying a laptop that costs 1000 already?
>>
>>51296373
2x USB c

Also performance is typically compared to the 13" rmbp and for that it's quite comparable
>>
>>51296285
those both work just well for me, but all right
>>
>>51296403
The SD card reader is not connected over USB c though, it's good ol' 2.0 (if I remember right)

>Also performance is typically compared to the 13" rmbp
By idiots who run benchmarks once or don't do anything what would push it and present the difference. You realize that MPB cpu/gpu is rated 28w TDP, right? Sure, in daily tasks it won't matter too much but even a Core M would do fine there.
>>
>>51293193
yes you can

i like OSX. i triple boot.
>>
>>51293193
Because I like both OpenBSD and OS X. If it's a Mac, OS X's going to ge the primary OS. If I'm not running OS X, it's going to be running OpenBSD
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.