[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lesser-known linux utilities and tricks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Gnuscreen.png (55 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gnuscreen.png
55 KB, 1920x1080
Post that Linux trick or tool that is super useful, that other Linux users don't seem to know about when you bring it up.

I'll start: GNU Screen. It has been around forever. I first started using it because it was the best way to keep a terminal session alive back when I had to ssh into my university's servers to do programming assignments.

It is like tabbed terminals, but non graphical, and it is "headless" or "persistent" in that your terminal windows are kept alive in memory even if you "detach" from the session. You can have multiple named sessions. You can do split windowing. There is scrollback buffer configuration, and the buffer can be navigated and copy-pasted from and between windows, using the keyboard.

tmux is a more modern alternative.

But my favorite feature of screen that is not available in tmux is -x or "multi-display mode." The way I used this during college was that at home I wanted to use both my laptop and my desktop (with dual monitors) to manage multiple terminals on my remote machine at school. I could open 2 PuTTY windows on my desktop (one for each monitor) and 1 PuTTY window on my laptop, and attach them all to the same screen session using -x. This way I could use all 3 monitors, and shuffle an arbitrary number of terminals between monitors or between computers, without dealing with a cumbersome number of PuTTY windows, and never having to use the mouse.
>>
>>51290485
http://cli-apps.org/

/thread
>>
>>51290485
tmux attach
>>
>>51290485
There's a cool command line editor called vi
be careful it's only for hackers B^)
>>
>>51291310
This site sure is shitty
>>
>>51291310

yes, lots of great tools on this site ...

http://cli-apps.org/content/show.php/am-i-confident?content=162834
>>
>>51290485
>moreutils
Has lot's of great stuff, I like to use vidir from them. I can edit filenames in vim this way, most of the time some quick and dirty block visual editing is enough to fix some fucked up albums or series.
>torrent-mount
It's a fuse fs for torrents. It can be used to stream well seeded movie torrents with the media player of your choice.
>>
Don't use an interactive shell in a terminal emulator. Work from the pure shell. No curses.

Use your text editor. Anything that can run, insert, and filter through shell commands works. Just run commands and shove their output in a buffer. If you ever wanted to sort or grep the output of a command, you do not have to repeat it, or try and copy its output to a file with x11, tmux, gpm, or something like that. Emacs, vim, and acme have shell interaction plugins for this.

All text is text. There is no special read-only printed output or a special prompt with its own editing commands.

You have now achieved 1970s nirvana.

If your text editor can provide tab completion for binary names and paths it's a plus.
>>
grep is pretty useful for searching large a large code base.

ack is like grep but faster because it can exclude non-source files.
>>
File: screenfetch.png (11 KB, 658x334) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch.png
11 KB, 658x334
fukken screenfetch
>>
test

-/+:. isaac@PotatoBook-Pro
:++++. OS: 64bit Mac OS X 10.11.1 15B42
/+++/. Kernel: x86_64 Darwin 15.0.0
.:-::- .+/:-``.::- Uptime: 1d 7h 59m
.:/++++++/::::/++++++/:` Packages: 34
.:///////////////////////:` Shell: bash 3.2.57
////////////////////////` Resolution: 1440x900
-+++++++++++++++++++++++` DE: Aqua
/++++++++++++++++++++++/ WM: Quartz Compositor
/sssssssssssssssssssssss. WM Theme: Blue
:ssssssssssssssssssssssss- CPU: Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz
osssssssssssssssssssssssso/` GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
`syyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy+` RAM: 4275MiB / 16384MiB
`ossssssssssssssssssssss/
:ooooooooooooooooooo+.
`:+oo+/:-..-:/+o+/-

[/code
>>
>>51290485
plan9port

>>51292876
>Anything that can run, insert, and filter through shell commands works. Just run commands and shove their output in a buffer. If you ever wanted to sort or grep the output of a command, you do not have to repeat it,
Yes!
>>
>>51291437
>http://cli-apps.org/
>It doesn't have flat icons or 3 megs of JavaScript

normie, pls go.
>>
ncdu - ncurses disk usage monitor
htop - top for the 21st century
iotop - top, but for disk access
>>
>>51294195
>cursor addressing
>termcap
>21st century
>>
>>51294258
Sometimes I wish curses didn't exist.
>>
>>51292919
You can also do that with find(1)
>>
>>51291406
I use this all the time after ssh-ing to server..
>>
>>51293819
I'm not implying it looks shitty, the content is shitty.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.