[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/smartphone/ - Smartphone General --------------------------
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Lumia-950-Flagship-Renders-9.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Lumia-950-Flagship-Renders-9.jpg
375 KB, 1920x1200
/smartphone/ - Smartphone General
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A general thread to collect all of the smartphone purchase threads

into one place. Try not to argue, and provide evidence for claims.

Suggestions to this general OP post are appreciated!

Youtube Reviewers

https://www.youtube.com/user/AndroidAuthority

https://www.youtube.com/user/pocketnowvideo

/g/ Approved Review Sites

http://www.gsmarena.com/

(Give me recs here, and I'll add them in the future)

/g/ Approved Phones

Budget Phone: Moto /g/, One+X (Doesn't work in the US quite yet)

/g/ approved flagship: LG V10
>>
>>51290463
Lol 1 hour and no reply. Seems like everybody wants their own thread for smartphones.
>>
>>51291192
Your post is enormous
>>
>>51291192
desu senpai it's the thread we need
>>
File: Titlescreen.png (2 MB, 1148x765) Image search: [Google]
Titlescreen.png
2 MB, 1148x765
Which phone will best run my weeaboo rhythm game without overheating? My Galaxy S4 is shit.
>>
How are windows phones? Always used android but the new lumia seems interesting.
>>
>LGV10 not being released in my country
>Nexus 6P has no SD card
>Samshit

Fuck it I'm being a z5
>>
Can someone comment on battery life of the original nexus 5 with M update? Standby and screen on time while browsing, please.
>>
>>51291797
Um, standby is good, excelent if you root and instal Doze Settings and set it to go into doze even when moving

Screen on is meh, 2-3 (maybe 3.5 hours at a stretch) hours
>>
>People actually fall for the oneplus meme and buy that drivel
>>
>>51290463
>tfw the 950 will never come to verizon
>tfw no contiinum
>tfw lumia icon

probably just gonna get an iphone when my contract is up next year tbph
>>
>>51291869
>CDMAids
>>
>>51291887
>MEMes
>>
>>51291930
Are you defending CDMA right now?

>rest of the world
>ohhh got a new phone
>pop in my sim
>there we go, we're done

>Verizon
>ohhh bought a new phone (that supports CDMAids) for full price not from verizon
>shit can't add it to the network because reasons
>>
>>51291863
one plus is just fucking shit i swear give it a few months and problems start coming your way
>>
more like pleb general
>>
>>51291959
good thing you're in the right place then :^)
>>
nth for japanese smart-flip/slide phones
>>
>>51291825
Thanks, I guess it's not worth buying it late 2015.
>>
I want to get into Mobile Development. Thinking about Android - are there any decent phones under 250$? I've never had a smartphone before
>>
Is it still worth getting a Galaxy Note 4? I like that it has a removable battery, the Note 5 removed this option. Do they still get updates?
How is the phone in general (battery life, resistance to scratches, lag)?
>>
Man I really wanna get a new phone but my S4 is still chugging along just fine. Can't really justify it, I'd also feel bad for buying some new flagships with all the good stuff about to come out Q1 2016.
>>
I endorse this thread :^)
>>
>Nexus 6P is fragile
>Samshit runs touchjizz
>LG V10 has a shitty rom too
>Xperia Z5 is great but can't run AOSP without ruining the camera performance
Fuck, anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>51293087
>Xperia Z5 is great but can't run AOSP without ruining the camera performance
Source?
>>
>>51292993
I have the note 4 and it still runs perfectly so I don't see any personal reason to upgrade to the note 5...was thinking about the v10 though but I just hate lg's os and I like the s pen on the note 4
>>
>>51293098
Not him, but this is usually true for any phone.
>>
You need to unlock the bootloader to install AOSP, which removes some DRM keys needed for certain camera features,namely anything related to VR, and also low light pictures.
>>
>>51293098
Drm keys for the camera and the screen (Bravia) vanish if you unlock the bootloader. You can actually back them up if you have root.

Source Google and xda
>>
>>51290463
How are Lumia phones? I am okay with the app selection in the store, but is it NSA proof (If yes/no, then to how much extent)?
>>
>>51293132
Guess the Moto X Pure or LG G4 is the only option.
>>
>>51293132
But you have to unlock the bootloader to root.
>>
>>51293146
Nothing wrong with Nexus 6P. Who even cares about NFC in 2015?
>>
>>51293146
LG rom is fugly.
I'm considering the Moto X Style but I'm afraid it won't be future proof at all and I'd like a better camera
>>
/g/'s thoughts on lumia 430 being a budget phone?
>>
Is there a way to elongate battery life and remove all those little jitters across the system?

>>51293153
Not if there's an exploit that can bypass it. I, too, own a sony phone and I have root with a locked bootloader.

>>51293098
Even if you save the keys, they only apply to the stock or stock-based ROMs. Even if you keep them, the quality is still gonna be awful, since AOSP has no drivers.
>>
>>51293196
It's only with sony? I love rooting my phones. I guess I'll have to avoid them now.
>>
What you guys reckon will be the price of Nokia 950 XL? I am considering moving to windows 10 just because of continuum. Does such a feature exist on Android?
>>
File: 1816_fire_housefire_nvidia.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1816_fire_housefire_nvidia.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
/g/, what does the hivemind think regarding the Zenfone 2?
Is it worth getting, assuming I root and install a better androidmod and remove the fucking bloatware?
>>
>>51293251
>muh continuum
what a meme
>>
>>51293160
>Nothing wrong with Nexus 6P

Build quality. Enjoy replacing the battery when it wears out. It got a repair rating of 2/10.
>>
>>51293229
Nah, the camera quality diminishes on every phone once you get AOSP on it, unless it's a nexus.

My S3 had terrible quality with CM 11 and 12 - the photos were all dim and shit. Reverted to stock; the quality improved.

Sony are removing this in their newer flagships, though.
>>
>>51293123
Well the Note 5 looks much better, everyone says it's much easier to hold and use and has some upgraded things like the camera, the stylus, software, etc.

But they removed the option to replace the battery, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a phone which is supposedly for power users.
>>
Is there any phone at all that doesn't need a custom rom to be great?
>>
>>51293364
Any Nexus or Sony phone. Oh and One Plus.
>>
Getting the Xperia Z5 premium soon, good choice bros?
>>
>>51293364
SONY is GOAT.

Stamina mode is amazing. The music player and the gallery are decent. The UI is really nice - and if you don't like it, there are themes you can download.
>>
>>51293382
>>51293407
I know one plus doesn't, but do Sony phones support expandable storage?
>>
Thinking about upgrading my HTC One M7 to a Sony Z5 Compact.

I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger though as my HTC has nothing wrong with it, it's just the camera is total shit and always has been.
>>
>>51293418
Which one?

Sony phones generally don't omit the SD card.
>>
>>51293418
Yes they always do.
>>
>>51293429
>>51293434
Neat, I've had a galaxy s2 for the longest time and only recently upgraded to the HTC m8. Everything about it is great except the blue tooth has the most difficulty connecting to devices.

Might just get a Sony next year.
>>
>>51293418
Just got the OnePlus X.

It has expandable storage.
>>
>>51293487
Source?
>>
>>51293153
>But you have to unlock the bootloader to root.
No you don't.
>>
I give up /g/. Every smartphone released in 2015 has some deal breaking caveat.

I'm gonna grab a Nexus 5 for peanuts from China, slap 6.0+EX kernel on there and just weather the storm until a fucking decent phone comes out next year.
>>
>Using phones with terrible security like any Android or Windows Mob.

>Not using old, late 90s phones without any surveillance bullshit hardwired to their parts or OS
>>
>>51293592
You do to install an AOSP rom though.
Also no root on the Marshmallow Concept rom.
>>
>>51293608
Exactly this.
I'll wait with my Z3 and see if the Snapdragon 820 devices are any better.
>>
>>51293660
You can root using a vulnerability without losing quality
>>
Im going to buy LG G3 today. I cant believe its only $250 new now, and its only been out for like a year since release?

>dat glorious 1440p screen
>>
>>51293682
The problem, as I've stated 3 times, is not just rooting but installing AOSP roms.
>>
Is HTC good today? New models like 536/636 and etc. etc.
>>
>>51293728
Over 18 months actually. The display sucks too, the resolution is the only good part. The colors suck, the brightness sucks, the black levels suck, and it chews up a shitload of battery.
>>
>>51291949
It's exactly the opposite dumb fag, it gets better as time goes by and shit gets fixed
>>
>>51293867
Which one plus do you recommend?

The OP2 is inferior to the 6p in every fucking way. and also google support > support from chinks
>>
Why are there so few reviews of the Xperia Z5? I've been trying to find reviews that don't come down to "lol it's not a Samsung" or "I don't like the design 5/10".

It seems like the ideal phone for me and I don't want a S6. Are there any particular reasons why the phone seems to be unpopular?
What are the chances that next year will be a game changer for phones and if I buy one now I'll miss out on something big?
>>
File: FUN.png (52 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
FUN.png
52 KB, 500x300
I'm going to be upgrading my phone from a Galaxy S2 to either a Galaxy S5 (maybe 6, depending on finances) or a Galaxy Note 4/5 in January.

Which would you recommend and why? Also, which carrier?

I'm ready to kiss Straight Talk and their no-firmware-updates goodbye, even if I cherish the phone that has served faithfully since 2012.
>>
>>51294844
Depends on your usage.

Want removable battery, storage and one handed use with the ability to flash AOSP to remove touchwiz? S5. Two handed use and stylus? Note 4.
Want very nice camera, solid frame but no removable stuff with one hand use, and touchwiz? S6. Two handed use and stylus? Note 5.

Personally I'd wait for S7, unless you buy the S5 for $200-250 used.
>>
What's the best smart phone for $250 AUD or under?
>>
I found an Xperia Z for $200

>1.5Ghz Quad Core
>Adreno 320
>1080p 5inch screen

Does anyone know a better phone for $200.
>>
>>51293629
Who do you think is coming after you?
>>
>>51295242
I have an Xperia Z that I bought years ago. It's a good phone, but you're better off buying a newer phone at this point, trust me. The camera feels very outdated and is slow, apps and browsing is slow and so on. It was a great phone 3 years ago, but there is no reason not to use a bit more money for a newer phone.
>>
File: sonysmartwatch2trio.jpg (57 KB, 1016x812) Image search: [Google]
sonysmartwatch2trio.jpg
57 KB, 1016x812
Smartwatchwes

y / n
>>
>>51295191
Tossing up between the Lumia 640 and the Galaxy Core Prime 4G
>>
>>51295265
Really? Seems better than a 2nd gen Moto G in just about every way except software. What beats an Xperia Z for $200?
>>
Here's a another reviewer
https://m.youtube.com/#/user/TheAngelofmusic1989
>>
>>51295303
Apparently the Xperia M4 is pretty good, and that costs about 230€.

And specs aren't everything, it can have the best processor in the world and still be shit
>>
>>51293928
No it's not, they have the same SoC, same ram, OP2 has a better camera and probably better battery as well since it has a lower resolution. Also it doesn't bend.
I cannot afford pricey phones so I got myself a Oneplus X.
>>
>>51295355
Yeah I'm in Aus, that's like $350 over here, my budget is ~$200. I agree that HW isn't everything but what is the best experience at this price point?
>>
>>51293087
Blackberry Priv.
>>
What's the current Best poorfag android phone guise?
>>
Does anyone use Ghostery browser on Android? I've been playing around with it for a couple of days and it seems bretty gud.
>>
>>51295492

Read the OP you dumb fuck
>>
File: Screenshot_20151111-174655.png (108 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151111-174655.png
108 KB, 1080x1920
>Charging the phone without charging the phone
Look mom non hands !
>>
>>51295492
I've got a 3rd gen Moto /g/. It's been great so far. I got it when my Nexus 5 broke and even though it's a step-down in screen resolution and processing power I haven't noticed any real difference as far as user experience goes. It's also waterproof down to 1m and I get over 2 days of normal operation on a fully charged battery.
>>
>>51295572
Thanks anon ^_^
>>
>>51291485
That game sucks ass I literally beat the hardest song on the first day I played with no challenge.
>>
Any good manga reader apps for Android? I've used manga rock before but it looks like it was taken off the play store.
>>
>>51295620
Ok good to know I am moving from a nexus 5 also mine is constantly shutting down when not directly connected to charge
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-11-15-55-08.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-11-15-55-08.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
My Oneplus one LCD screen broke months after using it. Bought new one from aliexpress, installed it and everything was great. Last week I pull it out of my pocket and see a black spot-like damage on the LCD screen. Glass didn't crack and touch is working its just pixels that aren't working. Aliexpress is insisting I damaged the LCD screen while installing it and is refusing to send me a new one or give me a refund. What do?
>pic related
>>
File: 1442338959674.png (116 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1442338959674.png
116 KB, 700x700
>Have Galaxy S2 for two years
>really hate it
>get a chink shit poorfag huawei phone to replace it
>much faster, less bloated and has way more useful functionalities
>>
>>51295705
does aliexpress offer any sort of buyer protection like ebay/paypal does? If not then you're probably fucked.
>>
>>51295705
You shouldn't have bought a chinkphone
>>
>>51291192
It always takes a bit for the thread to get off the ground.
>>
>>51292891
Develop for Windows there aren't any apps atm
>>
>>51293382
>gf gets her hands on M4 Aqua for cheap
>8GB storage, but SD card support
>phone is full of Sony bloat
>can't delete those apps
>android being shitty makes a fuss out of installing apps on SD card
>possible, but not with all apps, some apps still save their stuff on local storage
The waterproofness is cool though.
>>
>>51295705
Looks like a thumb print :^)
>>
>>51295756
Although I do like it, the buyers remorse caused from all the troubles it caused outweighs any benefits it brings
>>
>>51295785
Yeah, I had a OPO too.
After like 3 months, on a fairly hot day the glue holding the digitizer melted, which made the screen unresponsive. Got rid of the phone and I'm not buying chinkshit again.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking at a 629 euros Galaxy Note 5. Should I?
>>
>>51295807
Also 550e Note 5 from China, or 600 euro N920A
>>
File: 4L_CsF6X5oq.jpg (106 KB, 640x553) Image search: [Google]
4L_CsF6X5oq.jpg
106 KB, 640x553
So, I'm thinking of switching from my iPhone 6+ back to android. I need something with great battery life, great stability, rootable, good community support, and will have android releases regularly (not Samsung who takes half a month to release a broken update and then another 6 months to release a fix).

I had bad experiences with lollipop on a non-rootable note 4 with horrendous battery life, constant crashes, and signal issues.

I'm thinking of the one plus one.
>>
After living with an iPhone 5 for 3 years and seeing how restricted and shitty it is, it's time for me to move on to Android. One of the basic things that attracted me to Android was the ability to simply drag and drop to and from the phone, a simple and basic function that iPhones don't have unless you jailbreak it.

Question is, which Android phone should I get? At first I considered the Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge due to how I liked the design, but since I listen to a lot of music, I would probably like a phone with expandable storage (though I did hear word that the S7 may bring back the SD card slot?), and also, I play mobages such as Fate/Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy and iM@S CG SS so a phone that can play games smoothly would be preferable as well.

So are there any Android phones that fulfill what I'm looking for, especially the second point? I hear that one of the things that iOS has over Android is that it can run games smoothly since it's more "optimized"
>>
>>51295807
>Note 5.
its a great phone as long as you dont need a removable battery or mSD card.

I've had mine since it launched and it's pretty amazing.
>>
>>51295948
Don't get a S6 if you're considering samsung. It came out last March.
>>
>>51295882
Don't do it listen to us
>>51295807
>>51295705
>>
File: 1.jpg (734 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
734 KB, 3264x1840
>>51291592
Well I got a lumia 640 for the same price that I got a Xperia M2.It works nice, doesn't lags like a bitch, the keyboard is nice, camera is godlike just as it's battery life and the gui is nice. Only downside is the lack of some official google apps.
For the price is really good.
I really regret buying that android pos.
I guess that if you have used android for a lot of time the change is harsh but well worth it.
Pic related. Some fucking random pic I took yesterday.
>>
>>51295948
Z5 is probably your best option.
>good rom, very close to stock Android now, and Sony's planning to make it even more stock
>powerful phone
>good battery life, that's one thing Sony's particularly good at
>good camera, though a pretty large number of units have faulty cameras that add some blur on the edge of pics
>expandable storage
>sick design
>a bit expensive
>>
>>51295991
Stop using $150 Android devices as an example of how Android is shit.
Yes, Android requires strong hardware to work well, which means cheap-ass chinkphones are utter shit, but if you can afford mid or high-end devices it shits all over Winshit Phone
>>
>>51295967
Yeah I heard that the S7 may come early 2016 so I should probably wait if I'm set on Samsung and don't mind putting up with my iPhone 5 a little while longer.

I am considering the Xperia Z5 or Blackberry Priv though. Both have expandable storage but I wonder how do they handle games.
>>
>>51296022
Galaxy releases are always in Spring. Where did you hear it would be earlier than that?

Also, where did you hear they'd bring back the SD card slot?
>>
>>51295993
Excuse my ignorance (seeing how my first smartphone was my iPhone 5) but what does "stock Android" mean? However I do know that Android doesn't necessarily "belong" to one phone like with iOS and iPhone and waiting for updates may take a while...
>>
>>51296059
Some YouTube videos, but as always I take them with a grain of salt.
>>
>>51293364
Sony. But get the good ones, try to avoid budget series.
>>
>>51296094
I just googled and saw some reports that are saying it will have a replaceable battery. Holy shit I sure hope so!
>>
>>51296080
Stock Android is Google's Android. It's what you see on Nexus devices. Most OEMs take that and then add their own theme (which is always fucking ugly) and a bunch of bloatware.
Sony is one of the most "moderate" OEMs and they are moving towards an even purer Android, which is nice.
They're also reasonably fast to update newer devices.
>>
>>51295710
What? I still use my S2 now, it's amazing for its age. Then again I'm on CM12.
>>
File: 1.jpg (49 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
49 KB, 800x750
>>51293629
I work as a teacher, the goverment has me already under surveillance.
>>
>>51296107
So if I am to get into Android/Mobile development, it's best to get a Nexus? I was thinking LG G3, but i keep seeing Nexus popping up everywhere cause of the stock android.
>>
>>51296157
Depends. If you want to get into *rom* development, you should get a Nexus yeah.
Also don't get a G3, it's shit.
>>
So if I want a fantastic cam and CM 12.1/13 my only option is to go Nexus?
>>
>>51295270
If you can use it for more than aesthetics, status and watch purposes. Yes.
>>
Shill me on xperia z5 more than the posts above, I don't really need a new phone right now, but it seems like something I would really want.
>>
>>51296190
Yes.
>>
is there a way (an app?) to measure how much / if the phone's battery got worse over time?
>>
>>51296196
>Fingerprint scanner is kind of a gimmick, but a nice one.
I don't want my gf to be able to unlock my phone but I don't want to have to draw the pattern every 30 seconds
>dat frosted glass back
>powerful housefire 810 that is properly cooled
>expendable storage
>Nexus-like Marshmallow
>dat slick design
>one of the best cameras on the market, and Sony's about to release a new camera with better UI and rewritten image-processing

I'm actually getting tempter to move from my Z3 to a Z5 now
>>
>>51296177
>*rom* development
I've never had a smartphone before, so I'm not exactly sure about other types of development?
>>
>>51296254
Well do you want to just make apps, or do you want to go on xda and take part in developing roms?
>>
What would be best $100 smartphone?
>>
>>51296270
Probably some Windows phone
>>
>>51296267
I think I'd start with app making? I'm guessing that's the more simple option of the two. Maybe then I'd move on to rom development.
>>
>>51296021
>sony m2
>chinkphone
Surprisingly, you are right.
>>
>>51291766
>phones are literally shilling themselves now
>>
>>51293166
Better get a 640.
>>
>>51296021
>shits all over wp
not really
at best it can hold up
stay realistic next time you try that

wp = iphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> android
no matter the hardware

also even if it manages to hold up, wasting a fuckton of ressources just to be "just as fast" is not a selling point for about anything

your best chances of shilling people into not buying a wp is to use the no apps meme
>>
>>51296427
I don't need to shill people into not buying wp kek
>>
>>51290463
what do /g/oyim think about the jolla?
After years of being incrementally fed up with android bullshit, I'd like to switch to some different device with a non-faggot OS.
>inb4 iPhone
>lol apple
>inb4 wangblows phone
>lol someone thinks that gigantic failure is even worth mentioning?
>>
>>51296448
yet you desperately talk bad about wp eventhough you never owned one >inb4 you invent some fine story about how you bought one and regretted it and got an S4
and just repeat all the shit you heard on /g/ to be cool and part of our secret hater society :^)
>>
>>51296500
>dat trying to cover your buyer's remorse
:^)
>>
>>51296508
here's your reply
>>
>>51291797
Will send screenshot tonight but I've only been hitting 2-2.5 hours of sot over a 12 hour period. The most I've ever gotten was 3 hours and im running chroma with blu kernel with no tweaks.
>>
just got an S6 Active because I broke my s5 because I am actually retarded

I like it a lot. extra battery and physical buttons alone are worth it, the durability and water proofing are just a bonus
>>
>>51296021
I can afford a high end device if I really wanted to, but why should I pay for a high end device when a lumia gets it done for less? Either phone is just as likely to get lost or fucked up due to my negligence. In my eyes there is absolutely no benefit to android over windows phone EXCEPT some banking apps (which are not worth the markup for a flagship android). A Lumia 640 costs like $60 now and it absolutely fantastic.
>>
Question to all owners of the newer Samsung s* phones (5/6). How is the community? A lot of custom roms and how stable are they? Do you have xposed? I still have sgs2 and finding a stable rom is impossible.
>>
>>51296635
>I am content with Windows Phone because I don't need smartphone features
>therefore Android is shit
I mean, I'm happy for you if a $60 Windows Phone covers your wants, but that's not the case for 99% of smartphone users.
>>
>>51296663
The S6 is Exynos, the S5 is Exynos and Snapdragon. The snapdragon version has more ROM support than Exynos because Qualcomm is more friendly to the dev community and the dev community has more experience working with snapdragon SoCs.

You will likely never get an ASOP ROM or CyanogenMod or similar installed on an S6 simply because it is Exynos SoC and there is no development on the Exynos SoC (at least nothing serious because of lack of any openness from samsung)
>>
>>51296684
I never said android is shit, I said the extra markup to get a nonshit android is not worth it in my opinion.

What does android do that windows phone doesnt?
>>
>>51296721
Have apps.
>>
>>51296724
like? Because windows phone has apps. Android and ios apps too.
>>
>approved flagship
>LG

didn't know /g/ was so shit
>>
File: Blackberry Priv.png (106 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Blackberry Priv.png
106 KB, 300x400
Hurry up, Verizon.
>>
Can't decide between LG G4 and Motorola Nexus 6.
What would /g/ recommend?
>>
>>51296663
Exynos equals no rom support. But you can root your s6 AFAIK. So at least xposed and xprivacy are not out of the question.
>>
>>51296458
anyone that has more than 12 years old and knows something about jolla + sailfish OS?
>>
Hey /g/ recommend me phone ok:
Phone needs:
-Good battery that can provide many hours
-good for looking at pdf and ebook files
-no lag
-android best

thanks for replies
>>
>>51296729
Snapchat
Clover to browser 4chan
Sync for Reddit
A good Facebook app
An app where I can buy movie tickets and store my card info to show to the cashier
A good Youtube app
Foldersync to sync my GDrive between my laptop and phone
Shuttle+ which is the best music player
Stronglifts 5x5 app to keep track of my lifting sessions
Cerberus
Android in general which has a much smoother and better UX in general, and a better looking UI in my opinion
I mean, why get an Audi when you can get a Smart, right?
>>
>>51296785
are you indian?
>>
>>51296819

no I am german
I have been locking at zenfone is it good?
>>
>>51296719
>>51296768
Ah, i see, thanks guys. So not much has changed. Basically if you go Samsung you have to stick to stock. Amazing hardware paired with shitty software. Oh well
>>
>>51296747
Yeah ikr.
I mean the V10 seems like a top-tier phone harware-wise, but the LG rom is a total deal-breaker for anyone that isn't a faggot.
>>
>>51296854
You can still go for s4 or s5 (not the newer exynos). Those are still good phones with good community support.
>>
>>51296785
poo in loo
>>
>>51295681
anyone?
>>
>>51296882
>manga

Guys please tell me is zenfone good?
>>
File: wp_ss_20151111_0001.png (110 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151111_0001.png
110 KB, 720x1280
>>51296817
jesus man get a laptop if you need to do all of that shit.

On a side note though, most of that list is generated by opinions (>good) and is completely irrelevant since you can install android apps on windows phone.

Cerberus seems pretty cool but newer windows phones also has something like that built in so there's that.
>>
>>51296850
it has an x86 cpu... my GF got it, so far so good. But personally I'd not rely that much on a non-ARM CPU in an android phone.
>>
>>51296854
to be fair, modern touchwizz on the S6 has no real resemblance to previous touchwizz on devices such as the S4 or S3.

It is much lighter weight (though still heavier than stock android obviously). And it actually provides decent functionality, and the theme store lets you quickly change the look of your entire OS in just a few seconds.

Dont complain too much about it before even trying it.
>>
>>51296911
>you don't need a powerful phone because you could just get a laptop.
You kow very well that's not a valid argument.
>>
>>51296936
you know I had other points, right? Opinions make bad arguments too. I never said windows phone was for everyone. It certainly does everything I need it to do though.
>>
>>51296817
can you not snapchat on windows phones? Jesus... I hate snapchat and social media but if you are even the slightest bit NOT a NEET then that's a total deal breaker
>>
>>51296930
What are some good 5" or less phones in that price range then m8

Purposes:
-Long battery
-Good for reading pdf and ebook and web
-No lag
>>
>>51297002
z3c
>>
>>51297002
z5c
>>
>>51297014
not really waterproof & snapdragon 810 a shit
>>
Why do you basement dwelling neckbeards need phones for anyway? It's not like you leave your rooms ever anyway, and for the rare occasions where you are forced to go outside cause of a family members birthday you get away cheaperr of with a nokia 3310
>>
>>51297032
No phone is waterproof. They are only water-resistant.

Let me guess, you're basing your claim off the fact that Sony don't want you to dunk your phone in water? There's a reason for that, because that means they don't have to replace the phones of retards that go swimming with them.

The 810 is a good chip, and they've fixed the thermal problems. Keep believing the memes friend, you'll get far.
>>
File: 41987-nexus-4-tested[1].jpg (373 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
41987-nexus-4-tested[1].jpg
373 KB, 1280x720
Hello /g/.
I've been thinking about moving from my trusted iPhone 4, finally.
I'm not sure if I want another iPhone. I don't plan spending a lot.
A local department store is currently selling brand new Nexus 4's for roughly $120(sealed, regular 2y warranty).
It's an old device, but it's surely a step-up from my current phone.
The other option is Lumia 640.
I'm not a demanding user, I mostly use my phone to communicate/take spontaneous photos and videos.
iPhone is very good, I've been using it for years now but I'm getting sick of forced bloattunes integration, I can't even set a custom ringtone without having to deal with this ass-backwards pos software. And forced 100MB App-store limit is retarded.
Any other alternative? I carry a lot about build quality/design. It doesn't need to have excessive processing capabilities and like I mentioned I don't plan spending a lot of money. Old/second hand phones are a OK.
>>
>>51296933
that's fair. But then again i don't have a problem with touchwizz per se. I heard that s6 has some memory management issues. I've heard from people working for samsung that their source codes are a mess hah. Besides as a rule of thumb i don't support manufacturers who are not dev friendly.
>>
>>51292993
Bought one 3 weeks ago, just updated to 5.1.1 the battery it’s just perfect from 8am to 12am with moderate use. Display is 10/10 and performance 8.5/10 not disappointed at all
>>
>>51297065
Kek I was basing my claims exactly on that. And, the real reason because of which sony doesn't want you to slamdunk your phone in a filled sink is that their coverless waterproofing (the one without the flaps to cover the ports) is not as good as the one with the said flaps. Hence the "non-waterproof" thing.
While about the 810, - if you have to underclock a chip to make it somewhat usable - that's not a good chip. In fact, you can see that its performance suffers a lot. Actually, even the 801 is more stable and better than the 810.
There was a benchmark of a couple of snapdragons, that revealed that the 805 and the 810 performed really well, but generated too much heat in really short time, which caused their performance to jump up and down depending on their temperature. Will search and post it when not at work.
>>
>>51297077
it's pretty fragile if you ask me, an owner of an identical phone since may 2013. If you want it to play around, - then pick it up immediately; this fucker is unbrickable. Be careful with undervolting tho and check your CPU binning before doing stupid shit with kernel.
>>
>>51296192
What if I can get it for like 30 dollars?
>>
>>51296144
I was on Touchwiz, and got it around the week it launched (as a graduation gift)

I only had problems with it, it's usb port deteriorated first, then the speakers, until I couldnt even call anybody
>>
File: xXWbuWf.jpg (106 KB, 646x970) Image search: [Google]
xXWbuWf.jpg
106 KB, 646x970
> tfw just waiting on MKBHD to do a review on the Z5 before I splash the cash and buy either that or the priv
>>
>>51297116
yup, note4 is an amazing phone even now. Note5 is even better if you can live without a removable battery and mSD card, the note5 is an even more refined note experience, it takes the note4 and makes it more fluid and faster.

But again, if you do want a removable battery and mSD card, the note4 is still a really good phone and only slightly slower than the note5 and it wont be noticeable outside benchmarks and extreme performance scenarios.
>>
>>51297259
I love the priv but it's so damn expensive I don't feel like dropping that much on a phone.
>>
>>51297308
Please stop shilling new samshit phones
>>
How to root S5?
>>
gf needs a phone, 5" 200€ budget
Am I right in thinking the Moto G 3rd gen is the best choice?
>>
>>51297308
I got myself an unlocked Note 4 good ESN with case and box for $250. Wondering if there's any custom rom that still retains the stock camera cause the camera is pretty good.
>>
>>51297370
I personally like the spen features and the camera that I kept my Note4 stock when i had it, didn't bother with a custom ROM.
>>
File: 1434944142101.png (201 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1434944142101.png
201 KB, 600x600
>>51297259
>basing your purchasing decisions on MKBHD reviews
>>
>>51297429
technigger is the superior reviewer
>>
>>51297429
>Cartoon anime weeb trash reaction image

Didn't even start reading.
>>
>>51297334
Note 5 looks sick dude. Touchwizz its actually pretty fast
>>
>>51297438
He is barely a reviewer, only good is the presentation.
>>
File: xwtT8E9.jpg (244 KB, 1280x1166) Image search: [Google]
xwtT8E9.jpg
244 KB, 1280x1166
>>51297532
well show me a better reviewer then
>>
>>51297543
Don't really trust video reviews to be honest familia, only good to see the phone in action.

I like anandtech for detailed reviews and then I try and search for user opinions, mainly on xda.

Technigger will also probably skip the z5, he didn't review the z3 afaik
>>
File: 70DZoc3.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1999) Image search: [Google]
70DZoc3.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1999
>>51297438
>>51297490

He doesn't even actually review them. He never really compares them, and doesn't use concrete numbers for the most part.

>>51297543
Don't fucking rely on youtube reviews.

http://www.anandtech.com/ has great in depth reviews that actually compare phones and show when you're getting ripped off.
>>
>>51297358
Yes, most likely.
OPX if you can stretch your budget a bit, though it has some compatibility problems with US LTE bands I hear.
>>
I just broke me S4 /g/ and I'm looking for something new but mother fucker non of these new smart phones have a Micro SD card or removable battery which is why I got the S4 to begin with!

Anyone know of a modern smartphone with the aforementioned features?
>>
File: new_moto_g_2015_2.jpg (25 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
new_moto_g_2015_2.jpg
25 KB, 620x349
Thoughts on the Moto G 3rd gen?

I'm torn between this or the Nexus 5x
>>
>>51298003
If N5X will have
>better camera (but still meh)
>better performance overall (but still meh)
>bigger screen
>worse battery
General consensus is N5X is not quite good enough for its price, especially in Europe.
The N5X is a better phone but probably not enough to justify the difference in price.
>>
Got Xperia Z5 Compact today, after two GPEs. The bloatware fucking sucks manes, is it possible to root it and rm -rf without "losing the keys"?
>>
>>51298373
>http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledge-base/open-source/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/
nevermindi guess, lel
>>
>>51298373
what bloatware

doesn't Sony allow you to uninstall that shit right out of the box?
>>
>>51298476
Most of it.
You can also flash the Sony Marshmallow Concept without unlocking the bootloader, which is pretty much a Nexus rom
>>
>>51298557
I have done that with my Z3

Battery life is amazing
>>
>>51298476
most of it sure, but not all. left with "what's new", weather, file commander, smart connect, some support and "lounge" and some other shit,
most of the system apps you cant remove seem to be just ads for sony's shit
>>51298557
yeah im planning on looking into that
>>
>>51298566
Yeah I have too.
Great battery life if you only enable location when needed (7+ hours).
>>
File: moto-x-android-l.jpg (192 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
moto-x-android-l.jpg
192 KB, 1200x900
I'm currently torn between waiting for a Oneplus X invite or waiting until it goes on sale to the public, getting a Nexus 5X right now, or just continuing to use my 2013 Moto X. I've also considered the 3rd gen Moto G but I don't know how different it will really feel compared to my Moto X. My only real complaint about my Moto X is the camera, the rest of the device is sufficient for my use.
>>
I have a OnePlus 2
Ask me anything if you want
>>
>>51298631
Have you ever prepped the bull
>>
>>51291221
For you
>>
>>51298661
Underrated post
>>
>>51298661
not yet
>>
>>51291766
>>51296312
kek
>>
>>51297116
>the battery it’s just perfect from 8am to 12am
You mean, the batter is only decent for 4 hours?

>Display is 10/10 and performance 8.5/10 not disappointed at all
Well, it would be my first (modern) smartphone so I probably won't notice if its performance is better or worse than other phones on the market. It does cost a lot of money, so I'm still not sure if I shouldn't just simply get some cheaper one and keep the money for a future phone.
>>
>>51298989
>You mean, the batter is only decent for 4 hours?

>doesn't understand how AM and PM work.

8AM to 12AM would be 16 hours.
>>
>>51299013
Are you implying midnight is 12 AM? And the next hour after 12 AM is 1 AM?

Very peculiar logic there.
>>
>>51299077
Epic post my friend ;^)
>>
File: Screenshot_20151111-203643.png (136 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151111-203643.png
136 KB, 1080x1920
Z3 running Marshmallow.
SOT in next post.
Sony are battery life wizards.
>>
>>51299077
11:59AM, 12PM, 12:01PM, etc

11:59 PM, 12AM, 12:01AM, etc
>>
File: Screenshot_20151111-203647.png (75 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151111-203647.png
75 KB, 1080x1920
>>51299116
SOT
>>
>>51296021
Windows on mobile doesn't degrade over time like Android. That had to remove project Astoria in a W10 mobile build because it was causing the system to slow down. Not only this, but WP simply doesn't need the hardware, but you have the option so it can literally run like 30% faster than an iPhone if you want.
>>
Does anyone here have a jolla? I don't need a smartphone t b h but Sailfish OS looks pretty cool. Are they worth it?
>>
can the 1plusx be used with one hand comfortably
>>
>>51296817
>snapchat
Stopped fucking reading there LMAO
Let me simplify it for those listening
>no google apps
ehh, not that big of a deal mobile phones can handle browsers nowadays
>4charm doesn't work with new captchas
Yep that's pretty much it.
>>
>>51296817
What is your excuse when W10 mobile will let you sideload android apps.
>>
Thougts on the Droid Ultra? I'm tired of my s5's shit
>>
>>51299116
>>51299134
I would get the z3 myself but the glass back is putting me off. I don't like covers either
>>
>>51296977
>0.25$ has been deposited in your google wallet
Nobody fucking uses snapchat except for underage teens sending nudes. Literally nobody. Its a shit service and will go to garbage once its easier for investigators to see what's posted and when tons of people are getting posted for CP it will be over. There's literally no point in using social media anyways and snapchat is just the worst of the worst. Some people use Facebook and shit to get news about their universities or other shit. , but other than that it's literally for normies.
>>
>>51299119
Oh, you guys are from the States xD

>The thirtieth edition of the U.S. Government Style Manual (2008) sections 9.54 and 12.9b recommends the use of "12 a.m." for midnight and "12 p.m." for noon.

It's not very logical, but if your government decided it is logical to have 1 AM follow 12 AM, then that's your local notation.

I think in Europe midnight is simply called 0.00 (or 12PM, meaning 12 hours post-meridian) and noon should be 12AM (meaning 12 hours ante-meridian).
>>
>>51299241
tips bedora
>>
>>51299258
Are you seriously having issues getting pm and am

jesus

not even american
>>
>>51299283
Do you think calling midnight 12 AM makes any sense? Like one hour after 11 PM is incremented to 12 but it changes the meridian? And then the first hour after 12 AM is 1 AM.

srsly... if you find this logical stop visiting this board.
>>
>>51299258
Just use military time faggot we'll understand you.
>>
>>51299303
Have you ever seen a clock you fucking mega retard
>>
>>51299241
Tons of people use snapchat. They treat it like some sort of new instagram and just blast out all sorts of pointless photos and videos to their entire snapshit friends list (or whatever it is) all the time. I don't understand the point when they already have facebook, twitter, instagram, and text messages to send shit like that but, you know, normies will be normies I guess.
>>
>>51299259
>implying I'm wrong
Give me a legitimate use for snapchat other than being a normie teen trying to get nudes. Even if you'd just consider sharing pictures than Instagram, and just messaging are objectively better.
>>
>>51299314
>>51299310
Holy fuck, you idiots, just fucking read, if you are literate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnight

Do you "understand" everything that is not logical automatically simply because you are brainwashed? This is admitted as a source of confusion officially, that's why opinions differ.

So many stupid unschooled NEET retards here... Do you unthinkingly accept all conventions as being "logical"? Even though, they are just conventions, meaning they are so because they are meant to avoid confusions, not because they make sense.
>>
File: 29234_PE116289_S5.jpg (468 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
29234_PE116289_S5.jpg
468 KB, 2000x2000
>>51299388
le wake up sheeple xddd

>1 comes after 12
>hurr its not a logical sequence of numbers

End your life
>>
>The Elephone Vowney is never going to come out
Fucking why.
>>
>>51293161
the G4 has Cyanogenmod support, a replaceable battery, and a better camera.
>>
>>51299408
That's not what I said, retard. I said having 1 AM follow 12 AM doesn't make sense. So midnight should not be called 12 AM, despite what your govt/dictionary recommends. Either call it 12 PM or 0.00 AM. That would make more sense.
>>
>>51299471
again, no one gives a fuck because literally every one understands what is meant, it doenst matter if its logical or not as long as the meaning gets across. Which in this case, it does.
>>
>>51299471
PM means past noon
AM means before noon

Why the fuck are you having problems with it

You are literally the only one.

Seriously, kill yourself.
>>
File: 1446855083730.jpg (1 MB, 1232x816) Image search: [Google]
1446855083730.jpg
1 MB, 1232x816
Is there any reason to get a G4 over Galaxy S6?
>>
>>51299506
>>51299500
>>51299471
>>51299408
>smartphone general
>>
>>51299558
>muh ontopic discussion

maybe you should go back to r/android
>>
>>51299548
G4 has removable battery, mSD card, potentially more ROMs available.

S6 is more powerful SoC, better screen, better camera.
>>
If I buy a G4 now how screwed am I?
>>
So currently I'm sold on the Z5/Z5 Premium but since they're not available in the US, I'll have to import one, but is it really as easy as taking out my old SIM card from my old phone and inputting it in the new one and I'll have no problems whatsoever?
>>
>>51299691
As long as its the same size yes
>>
>>51299708
even if it isnt the same size, as long as its bigger than the one you need (if you have a micro sim and need a nano sim for example) you can simply cut it down to size if you have an exacto knife or something.
>>
>>51299708
http://www.simlocal.com/pages/sim-card-sizes

Not sure if this is trustworthy but since my iPhone apparently uses nano SIM cards as does the Z3, I'm going to assume the Z5 series does so as well? I should probably do more research though...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.