[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
arduino rgb bike project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: lpd8806-arduino-600.jpg (41 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
lpd8806-arduino-600.jpg
41 KB, 600x311
Hi, don't know if in the right section, and sorry for my rusty english (im italian)
Complete n00b here. chasing for halp.

i always kind of fantasized about learning how to use arduino, but i have ZERO computin/coding skills, i'm just good at building, thinking and assembling

I wanted to know if this project i have in mind is possible to realize, so i can study about it.

I have a motorbike, fz8 no ABS 2011. i'm customizing it.
i wanted to add RGB led strips all around it, like a neon effect in the night, easy.
Now that i stubled upon a video about arduino again, an idea popped.
i now want to put led strips that change color base on the speed i'm at.
i.e. i link the arduino at the tachometer, which sends the current speed at the board, which sends the color signal to the led strip.
for example i'm driving 0 mps > dark blue
10 mps >blue
20 mps > light blue
and so on.....(i mean gradually changing colors, like at 1 mph increments per color)

do you guys think it's possible? how hard for a complete noob will it be? dont get me wrong, i know i'll have an hard time even connecting a single led to a button, since i never even saw an arduino board in real life....but i like my ideas and i'm stubborn xD

thanks for halp.
>>
if the signal from the tachometer is usable its peace of cake. i just don't know how you will use/get the speed signal
>>
>>51287221
U can always use an external tacometer, like the ones u see in bycicles :D
>>
>>>/diy/
>>
>>51287153
>Italian rice
You should call it the Risotto!

But seriously tho, this:
>>51287383
Nobody on /g/ knows anything about technology.
>>
>>51287153
>i always kind of fantasized about learning how to use arduino, but i have ZERO computin/coding skills
Give up
>i'm just good at building, thinking and assembling
No you aren't

There is no reason to involve an arduino in this at this at all. Building a circuit to do this from scratch would require a small handful of components at most. This is not a job necessitating a microcontroller.
>>
>>51287603
i always knew it was the most suitable for prototypes, and for people trying to learn how to interact between the phisical and tecnological worlds....so....
well about my building and assembling, obviously you know best...good luck being the sassiest bitch here...
>>
>>51287221
i have seen various videos on youtube regarding gear indicators, since i'm about to install it myself. i'm a bit confused about it too, because some require an external gear indicator anchored on the motor, while others are just wired to the odometer and get the revs and speed information from it and generate the right gear.
>>
>>51287768
yeah ignore that faggot, he's just being an edgy teen.
good luck talking to the RGB strip most probably via SPI or I2C without a microcontroller.

My recommendation is to download and read through this:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Kits/RedBoard_SIK_3.2.pdf

Then look at this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12060

But don't buy it, it uses a clone of the Arduino instead of the original Arduino. So copy the list of components and buy them individually from Element 14, Farnell, Mouser, Digikey, etc...

And stick to >>>/diy/.
>>
>>51287829
So thankful ^^, i wasn't sure about the right section and i always get it wrong, haha
so thanks again i'll study on it until i'll get it right, and post results.
have a good one!!
>>
>>51287873
no problem.
that kit is really really well made in terms of teaching you basic electronics and programming. It'll go really quick too, you'll see!
Also the Arduino community is infinitely more helpful than the salty neets around here.
>>
>>51287829
Without a microcontroller? You mean like a MOSFET? I mean, if he actually gets an electronic signal from his bike (guessing analog) then he really doesn't need it.

The other dude is a cunt but he's right. If soldering a button is too hard he deffo shouldn't do something like this.
>>
>>51287603
Bullshit. An Arduino would be perfect. This sort of project is exactly what they're for.

OP, your main problem (in fact your only problem) is getting the speed put into your Arduino program. Once you've got that, it's literally child's play to code for the LEDs. First thing I thought of is a small motor with turbine blades; the faster you go, the more it spins and the greater the current output, which is easy enough to read. But that would be a pretty clunky solution. Maybe a Pitot tube?
>>
Just to let you know, having blue LEDs on your motorcycle can confuse people into thinking you're a cop, and is illegal in a lot of countries

Also >>>/diy/
>>
>>51287965
as I said, that RGB strip looks like it needs to be talked to via SPI, I2C, serial, whatever. It would be unnecessarily tedious to DIY your own ways to talking to that. A micro is the way to go for a fast prototype.
>>
>>51287972
>Pitot tube
Oh shit - that would be badass
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.