[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best filesystem for SSD in Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: tonninseteli-vector.png (80 KB, 1786x2086) Image search: [Google]
tonninseteli-vector.png
80 KB, 1786x2086
What's the best filesystem for SSD in Linux?
>>
>>51283356
Filesystem EXT4 + TRIM:

- EXT4 with TRIM improves performance by reducing unnecessary write cycles to the SSD drive as they limited write-rewrite cycles.
- Ubuntu and some other Linux flavors support EXT 4 with TRIM out of the box.

SWAP Partition:

- Make sure you do not have a SWAP space on the SSD, again to reduce the write cycles.
- If you have a mechanical drive, then you should create a SWAP space on the mechanical drive, and avoid having it on the SSD.

Partition Alignment:

- The partition should start on a clean 1MB boundary so that block size of the Filesystem aligns with the block size of the SSD.

So use EXT4 + TRIM with a SWAP on a mechanical hard drive or no SWAP on SSD.
>>
>>51283356
BTRFS on a GPT partition table

/thread
>>
>>51283377
>Make sure you do not have a SWAP space on the SSD

topkek
>>
>>51283391
>BTRFS on a GUID Partition Table partition table

Seems about right
>>
>>51283356
F2FS
>>
>>51283377
Don't enable TRIM if you're doing FDE.
>>
>>51283356
BTRFS with Trim enabled
>>
File: 1428771544625.jpg (8 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1428771544625.jpg
8 KB, 400x300
>>51283377
>you should create a SWAP space on the mechanical drive
>>
>>51283377
Just deleted my swap partition, Thanks dude.
>>
>>51283356
The one made by that serial killer
>>
>>51283377
>> - Make sure you do not have a SWAP space on the SSD, again to reduce the write cycles.
> - If you have a mechanical drive, then you should create a SWAP space on the mechanical drive, and avoid having it on the SSD.
kek
>>
>>51283377
>SWAP Partition:
>
> - Make sure you do not have a SWAP space on the SSD, again to reduce the write cycles.
> - If you have a mechanical drive, then you should create a SWAP space on the mechanical drive, and avoid having it on the SSD.

That's so fucking retarded it hurts to read it.
>>
>>51284808
Does ReiserFS still have any advantages over ext4?
>>
>>51284711
>>51284887
>>51285558
Can someone explain (to a retard) why
>you should create a SWAP space on the mechanical drive
is retarded?
>>
File: 1375217908648.jpg (10 KB, 188x267) Image search: [Google]
1375217908648.jpg
10 KB, 188x267
>>51287232
I agree, why is this a problem?
>>
I have swsp on my ssd. What's the problem with that? Honestly on any current pc that isn't 15 years old, you'll never even use the swap partition 99% if the time. The swap is there only if you're running out of ram. I mean shit if you were actually utilizing swap, wouldn't you want it to write and read to a much faster ssd as opposed to a regular hdd?

Have probably had swap on various linux machine ssds for a while now with no issue or drive degradation at all.
>>
>>51287608
Because SSDs have limited writes and a swap partition has potential to burn through them. It's just a stupid idea.
>>
>>51287232
It's much slower in a situation where speed is important.

The only reason this shit started was because early SSDs had few maximum writes per cell, and the constant writes of a swap file could bring the SSD to its write limit significantly sooner than otherwise.
Nowadays SSD write limits are so high that they almost universally fail from other means way before getting close to their limit, so there's no reason to slow down your computer to account for a problem that doesn't exist anymore.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.