[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey friends. Normally I just lurk, but today I have an important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey friends. Normally I just lurk, but today I have an important decision to make. I have to sign up for classes, and can no longer put off the decision. I can either major in computer engineering, or computer science. I like programming, and have interest in things ranging from operating systems to web back end stuff. I just want general opinions on both fields I guess. Anecdotes and opinions relating to the majors.
>>
>>51282010
drop out and start a business in your garage
>>
>>51282010
Comp eng and take a bunch of math electives. You'll learn programming as well as EE and be branded an engineer giving you more options in terms of what you want to do later. Whether that's a job in hardware or software as a programmer with an engineers mind which is quite valuable.
>>
>>51282010
Computer Science honestly, the sort of distinction that computer engineering entails and suggests to others is honestly something you'll pick up anyway.
>>
>>51282100
I am leaning more towards compE, but I'm scared the program's intensity will take up a significant amount f time and hinder me from learning more programming and software engineering concepts on my own
>>
>>51282010
Go to computer science
>>
>>51282404
Can you explain what you mean by this?
>>
>>51282409
Yup computer science it is.
CE/EE is no joke, you will only pass if your life revolves around school. I had no gf, friends would always be annoyed i couldn't go out, I would think about my classes every second of the day, I would dream about my school work, go to sleep late almost everyday. But I graduated with a 3.9 so it all worked out in the end and it was more than enough to get accepted into graduate programs.
>>
>>51282010
kill yourself
>>
>>51282514
I feel you. I can succeed as far as school work goes for sure, that's not my issue. My big think is I want to do nothing academic. I don't want to go to grad school. I want a job that pays well and that's it. As far as the specific job, I know I want it to be something where I can program, but wanting to stay away from web design shit. I guess that's my big thing, I never want to be in a place where I am having to do web design, lol.
>>
>>51282501
Computer engineering focuses on topics that are closer to hardware. Most/many people in the computer field are pretty familiar with such things to begin with, and Computer Science covers many of the important basis if not as in depth. You mostly miss circuits classes.

Computer science focuses far more on algorithms and math concepts.

It is more believable and reasonable as a computer science person to say that you're proficient in the hardware side of things and circuits as a hobby rather than a computer engineering person saying they're very into high level algorithms and what not.

Honestly it isn't a huge deal though. I'm comp sci/math, comp eng/math would honestly be a "better" and more rounded route with less potential overlap and a more varied field, but it is honestly what you enjoy: algorithms or circuits.
>>
Being an engineer is still a big fat plus. I think both of you okay for you so you have to choose the one with more advantages.
>>
>>51282658
>succeed
You don't understand the intensity of CE/EE. I didn't devout my life to it because I was a bad student but because it literally requires that much out of you. Most of the people in my class didn't even have jobs during school, they would work internships during the summer and get by with that money. CS isn't a breeze by any means but it definitely requires less out of you and the options for CS when it comes to work are plentiful.

>>51282755
The biggest pile of bullshit I ever seen from beginning to end.
And this is what I mean about the intensity of CE OP. Any respectable CE program covers EE and CS. You will go in depth for CS taking all the algorithms classes CS takes but leaving out the unnecessary shit that is mostly webdev c.uck shit. You will be more proficient in C++ and assembly than any other CS fag graduating because you actually spend your time implementing your work into hardware and applying those algorithms you learned in math class trying to make things faster. It's also a joke to believe a CS fag could ever do the work of an EE.
>>
>>51282755
Actually it's the other way around.
It's more reasonable for a engineer to be well versed in programming than it is for a computer science to be into hardware design. When you master one language the rest are relatively easy only syntax changes. But designing "circuits" isn't like programming. There's a reason why cs students can make an app or a website and become billionaires but you never hear about a student designing "circuits" (as if that's what computer engineering is about) and hitting it big.
>>
>>51282985
OP here. Damn you went hard on the other poster. Aha but shit like what you described gets me hyped for compE. Shit like " You will be more proficient in C++ and assembly than any other CS fag graduating because you actually spend your time implementing your work into hardware and applying those algorithms you learned in math class trying to make things faster." that sounds absolutely amazing. But if I can still learn systems and low level programming with CS, then that may be a smarter move for me, the major is a lot less intensive
>>
Have fun becoming a wage slave.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.