[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple CEO Tim Cook declares end of the PC http://www.cnbc.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
Apple CEO Tim Cook declares end of the PC

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/09/apple-ceo-tim-cook-declares-end-of-the-pc.html

Does this mean apple will finally switch to arm?

What's taking them so long? RISC > CISC
>>
Fuck this asshole and everything he stands for.

>Why would you even buy a PC anymore?

So I don't have to be kekolded by anemic hardware and a shitty toy mobile os.
>>
Tim Cook & Jonny Ive only made Jobs' stuff thinner and painted it gold.
>>
File: foxwut.gif (2 MB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
foxwut.gif
2 MB, 300x295
Fake and gay.
>>
>>51281450
>why would you use a touchscreen with a pen anymore
I expect nothing more from these idiots.
>>
Tim Cook is just a faggot who road in on the liberal coattails of Jobs by simply being a faggot. Seems like Apple is dying to me; painting iJews pink, and introducing iPen.
>>
File: kingston T1.jpg (272 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
kingston T1.jpg
272 KB, 1280x718
>>51281450
This is the get the market that MS Surface has. For now apple just does not have the applications that PC has. It will never work at least not for another 20 years if some how the infrastructure and devs moves away from MS. Tough luck with that.
>>
>>51281450
I think he's right. With our phones nearing the year of 5-8Gb of ram. And 128Gb - 256Gb storage slowly showing up on high end phones. Our phones will become our PC's. We can just hook them up to monitors, use the screen as a mouse and have a nice decent portable flip put keyboard.
>>
What about SDKs and other professional software?
>>
>>51281760

"when life gives you lemons, paint that shit gold"
>>
>>51281968
>>51281968
>implying that 256 GB storage is enough
>implying that 8GB RAM is enough
>implying that portable flip-put keyboards are anything near decent

Use the screen as a mouse?
Literally how?

Nice try, but no, i'll stick to Linux and actual unthrottled CPU's and GPU's, thanks.
>>
If PCs are so dead, why is applel still making stationary computers and notebooks?

What a bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>51281968

Not until they actually make efforts of giving you a productive desktop environment on your mobile device.

Microsoft is trying this (and even has the phone dock thing going, though that's been tried in the past).

Google is no doubt looking to do this in some manner between whatever comes out of ChromeOS and Android coming together in some fashion.

Apple is stuck with the paradigm that they want separate environments entirely that compliment eachother.

So until they decide to back track on that, Cook is shooting himself in the foot saying the PC is at the end.
>>
>autoplay videos

cancer webiste.
>>
No matter how powerful you can make a phone or other small computer, a desktop computer will have that much more in the same generation. There's no getting around this issue.

People will always want maximum performance. It is the edge needed to make money.
>>
>>51282188
I want to agree with you but couldnt you make the same arguement with a computer that took up a whole room? Like in the 70s
>>
>>51282089
Touch and Desktop need separate UIs imo, so what's the difference?
>>
>>51282207
You absolutely can make that argument. And the truth is is ongoing right at the moment. Right now as I'm making this post I'm harnessing other computers across the world, some of them far more powerful than my own.

That's what may finally kill the desktop PC. Immense remote computing power.
>>
So Apple is going to stop selling Macs because PCs are no longer in use anymore?
>>
>>51282210

I concur that they should have two separate UI experiences.

The difference is they've claimed they have no interest in consolidating the two. The best they could ever do is put both iOS and OSX on a single device which I imagine will end up leading to all sorts of issues for them.

At the end of the day it just sounds very contrary to his point that the desktop is at an end when they very much still have a need for one.
>>
>>51282188
The question is how much performance you need and how much convenience you are willing to trade in for that. Most people don't want to have a giant desktop PC to browse facebook and write something in word once a week. It's not worth the money, not worth the power consumption and not worth the space.
>>
PC will always be necessary for many jobs
>>
>>51282286
But why should they merge iOS and OS X? What is it exactly that you can't do with iOS that you can do with OS X?
>>
>>51282089

You cannot have a productive desktop environment on a mobile device which has restrictions on what applications can be run on them.
>>
>finally?

Why? do you want shitty computers?

OSX is x86. Do you really think apple is going to kill OSX?

What is this obsession with CPU architecture on /g/ recently? Its a whole new level of autism. x86 is going nowhere kid, go find something else to worry about
>>
>>51282087
You mean Apple Xcode-Launchers?
>>
Well he's probably right in that most people can do everything they need on a tablet or notebook. Most people aren't doing much beyond writing a paper in MS Word or looking at the last $20 in their bank account.

But Desktop setups will always exist because there is still a sizeable population that needs them. Universities that teach STEM fields being major consumers for one.
>>
>>51281450
oh look, it's the end of the desktop PC - again
>>
>>51282416

Which is utterly ironic because the moment anyone mentions how a Chromebook is literally all most people need for their typical computer usage, everyone goes batshit about how much people need their photoshop and autocad.
>>
Normalfags don`t really use PCs

this is good news for everyone imo

>MS starts to focus back on the enterprise now that all their consumer grade products failed spectacularly and make a good OS for ones. Pretty sure they`re going to drop bing and xbox in the near future, Surface and Lumia are already on its last legs.

>traditional manufacturers go fuck themselves for creating shitboxes and craptops.

>remaining manufacturers create cheap, but reliable MS Office Machines and cater to Power users

>normalfags evacuate the web to their shitty apps

>linux is still >1% of the desktop market.
>>
>>51282449
No, they don't say "people" need their photoshop and autocad. They say they themselves need that. There's no arguing that a chromebook is sufficient for the average guy's needs.
>>
>>51282472
With consumer manufacturers backing out of the market, it would end up more expensive for hobbyists and hackers. They would have to resort to buying more expensive workstation machines from commercial and business-focused companies.

That being said, cheap throwaway hardware like the Raspberry Pi and things like that still exist for getting the younger generation in to coding. But it's gonna suck to not be able to trivially dabble in making programs that you can run on the hardware you use every day (i.e., without an expensive Apple machine or box capable of running the Android dev environment).
>>
>>51282543
poorfag detected
>>
>>51282000
But God loves Ugly.
>>
>>51282418
ITS OVER DESKTOP IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT!
>>
>>51282232
Not an option for gaming, the latency is too high for action games. And VR needs a shitload of GPU/CPU power, so the need for more power isn't going away any time soon.

I don't play modern games, but I'm grateful to people who do, because they subsidize my hardware.
>>
>>51282506
Not the guy you're replying to, but I have a problem with this argument. It serves 90% of everyone's needs. That's different from serving 90% of peoples needs. The 10% that people can't do on a Chromebook is different for everyone. 'oh I need this one specific piece of software to do this', 'oh I need this other really specific use-case'...

I say this as someone that used a Chromebook for quite a while. Since most of the machines I worked on were remote, all I really needed was an SSH client and the built-in one was sufficient for everything I needed. It even supported keys. Though the fact that I was essentially using it as a dumb-ish terminal to interact with 'real' computers was not lost on me.

>>51282571
I'm not particularly poor - my current main workstation is a Macbook Pro, and I work in the tech industry - But I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about the huge amount of people that are going to miss out on learning and contributing to the world of computers due to such a high bar for entry.
>>
>>51282643
This.
/g/ should be grateful /v/ exists
>>
>>51281450
>faggot declares end of heterosexuality
topkek
>>
>>51281842
iPENis
>>
Nothing so far has been able to replace my laptop. Have high end phone, tablet and even tried those netbooks back in the day. They are good for watching movies and thats about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 512x511) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 512x511
Not from my point of view!
>>
File: 1447012249494.jpg (34 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447012249494.jpg
34 KB, 625x626
>>51283254
>>
I think "End of PC" is a major hyperbole, however; there was something that Steve Jobs said that I believe we're heading towards, if we're not already in. Where PCs with Keyboards and Mouse is like a pick-up truck. They were a staple of daily life many years ago being able to haul shit around, especially for blue collar types, but now there is a smaller need for them. They will ALWAYS have a place, but typically reserved only for people who actually use them in a profession that requires it.

CAD comes to mind. I think the PC as we know it will ALWAYS have a place there because nothing can really fill the void of a mouse and keyboard in that particular field.

For the casual audience, yeah. It's to the point where the average person can get away completely without owning any sort of PC. It might be harder now, but since more people are moving to that sort of lifestyle, it'll be developed to be made easier.
>>
>>51281476
Fucking thank you fuck apple and all of their products
>>
File: 1420521484754.png (149 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1420521484754.png
149 KB, 250x250
>CNBC
About a decade later, America's left-wing media discover that Steve Jobs was talking about Apple becoming a "Post-PC" company since before the iPhone was even announced

Maybe these hacks should stick to Hillary propaganda instead of technology.
>>
>>51281968
>Our phones will become our PC's
Phones are consumerist devices. Nobody is going to do any serious work on them, that's what workstations and/or laptops are for.
>>
>>51283359
>Hillary
>left wing
I kek'd a bit.
>>
>>51281450
It's great to see a CEO so out of touch with reality. I won't deny that laptops have really outplaced the needs of desktop PCs for a lot of people, but tablets are garbage everyone of my normie friends thinks headlines like this are a fucking joke.
>>
>>51283326
Yes, I think this is what Ive was driving at. There was a time when the only option for home computing--and internet access--was a desktop pc. When laptops became affordable, they became overwhelmingly the choice of device for casul users, but they still ran a full desktop operating system, which was full of tools and capabilities they didn't need, and which was thus also rife with opportunity to "break". Now we have internet-enabled computers that provide instant access to the desired functions (photos and editing, social media, music and video playback), and those fill that niche. In a very real way, the era of the desktop PC is over.
>>
>Why would you buy a PC anymore?
I only agree with this when it comes to the average consumer. I don't think PCs will ever go away fully, but the market will shrink and be limited to hardware enthusiasts and people who actually make or do shit.
>>
>>51281450
Yeah that idea sure worked well with Windows 8
>>
>>51281450
Out with Personal Computing, in with Butt Computing, BC as it's called.
It's not a PC, it's a MAC BC.
>>
>>51283417
Er, Cook, that is.
>>
>>51281450
they will keep makeing the macbook rite........?
>"I think if you're looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?"
is he talking about computers in general or non-mac PCs? why would i buy one? can your nobodyface create-slaves do what they do without a proper computer? or do they all have ipad pros now. i love-love-love the macbook do NOT DISCONTINUE THE MACBOOK PRO it is the LAST BASTION of PRODUCTIVE, SMOOTH COMPUTING
>>
>>51283464
Epic post :^)
>>
File: 1445565819811.png (346 KB, 439x500) Image search: [Google]
1445565819811.png
346 KB, 439x500
The Information Age in a Nutshell
by: Anon

1925-1954
The Era of Computing Pioneers
dominated by: nobody in particular

1955-1984
The Era of the Teletype and the Mainframe
dominated by: IBM and AT&T

1985-2014
The Era of the Personal Computer and the Free Internet
dominated by: Intel and Microsoft

2015-2044
The Era of the Mobile Device and the Corporate Cloud
dominated by: ARM and Google

2045-...
The Era of Technological Singularity
dominated by: our new AI overlords
>>
>>51283422
>I only agree with this when it comes to the average consumer.
Pretty sure he speaks about average customers only and they would be fine with entry level laptops and iPads once Apple tweaks the OS a bit.
>>
>>51282207
>http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/09/apple-ceo-tim-cook-declares-end-of-the-pc.html

No because a room sized computer would most likely be much more expensive
>>
If ARM keeps doubling performance every year and x86 keep stuck like it is, it will be the end of X86, even Intel will move to ARM.
>>
>>51281450
>company's CEO declares end of main competitor's company
top kek
>>
>>51281450
i'm a huge macfag and this is fucking retarded.

fuck tim cock and jony brony
>>
Every tech company wants the PC to die because it's too open. They hate that anyone can download dev tools, write a program, and distribute it for free over the internet without the company getting a single cent, hence the move towards app stores on both Windows and Mac, and the incredibly closed architecture of phones and tablets.
>>
>>51283607
That might actually be true. The tendency is clear.
>>
What /g/ read:
"Tim Cook says you don't need your thinkpad. Buy apple! It's better! Fucking loser. Non-macs are the reason why you're still a virgin. You know deep down inside that all you do is browse 4chan. You have literally no reason not to buy a tablet."
What /g/ felt:
Anger and insecurity

What i read:
"Tim cook spews a marketing pitch to make his customers feel like they didn't waste their money on their impulse-bought iPad pros"
What I felt:
Laughter
>>
I think we'll see a decrease in personal computer sales in the future, how many families do you know that still have a family PC standing around somewhere?

However tablets and stuff will never replace desktops/laptops.

In my future I see M$ playing it smart by making a device that caters for both the need for something to waste your time on (tablets) and to be 'productive' (write documents, not actual hardcore productivity) by making those Surface pros.

Apple is trying the same but they fail because OSX doesn't have a proper touch UI and OSX is not complete enough to provide an alternative to a full blown PC OS.
>>
RISC = CISC

there's no inherent overall superiority of one over the other.
>>
>>51283723
On the other hand obviously Apple wins because now retards have to buy both their tablet and their laptops.
>>
>>51283706
It's more about reassuring investors that the "mobile-first" plan is financially sound. He's explaining the needs of the target market.
>>
>>51283607
You seem like a pretty sensitive dude, so let me ask you something.
Will devs go to an open platform like Linux?
Honest question here, it doesn't have to be Loonix itself, any not-owned-by-anyone platform will do.
>>
>>51283723
Care to justify that last statement? Were you referring to iOS or what?
>>
>>51283790
Oh yes I ment iOS.
From what I know iOS does not feature a really usefull touch interface.
>>
>>51283846
Now you mean OS X

Apple's desktop operating system does not meaningfully support touchscreen operation, and Apple's mobile operating system is not a full desktop replacement.

Both of these are pretty good decisions, I think
>>
>>51283846
oh jesus I'm derping now.

My point was that, here it comes correctly:
OSX does not have good touch support and iOS cannot replace a full blown desktop enviroment.

Windows 10 however managed to do this, I think at least.
>>51283878
Yes I'm sorry I've been studying the entire day my brain is literally empty right now.

Why do you think both are good decisions?
>>
>>51283895
Because it forces consumers to buy two computers

And you can't even install your own software on an iPhone without buying a $200 license, so that forces consumers to give apple even more money.

Business is about screwing you over.
>>
>>51283607
Then why do the major tech companies (apple/google/microsoft) dedicate a reasonably large crew for web browser development?
The WWW does pretty much all that you say tech companies hate.
Plus, both android and windows are still very wide open and it doesn't seem like they are trying to close their platforms much, especially to the tech savvy/power users.
>>
>>51283895
>I think at least
The market doesn't agree with you though. Laptops with touchscreen barely get sold, and even iPad sales tank (although still vastly more superior to windows tablets) while macbooks are on the rise.

People don't want touchscreen cancer outside of their phone.
>>
>>51282043
Use the screen like a touchpad on a laptop he meant
>>
>>51283951
Android is pretty limited without Google apps and MS took almost everything out of user control with 10. It's looking rather bleak for the future.
>>
>>51283895
Have you tried using a microsoft surface without a keyboard and mouse? It's miserable. The desktop metaphor is optimized for space-saving, which is incompatible with the natural limitations of touchscreens (fingers are large and inaccurate, and if you're going to use a stylus you might as well use a mouse). Trying to change that results in windows 8.

I don't want a full desktop operating system on my telephone or tablet. Those devices are for "quick access"; I use the maps app, or the messaging app, or the browser if I need to look at a reference site. If I need to do "real" work, I use either a laptop (if I absolutely must do it in a "mobile" situation) or, optimally, a desktop. I genuinely have no issues with the iOS devices being locked down, except ones that I've created for myself (it's inconvenient to use them with my Linux desktop/laptop).
>>
meh, i need a powerful machine for CAD and viyda. will need an even more powerful one for VR.

i represent a very small % of the market tho.
>>
>>51283918
Apple is a very clever business, but I do believe they bet on the stupidity of their consumers too much. Basically any decision they made in the last few years had a very bad downside, like having 1 port, being throttled, etc. And they just seem confident in their buyers, but that's not a clever move I think.

>>51283956
It was my future vision, I think we will see stuff like the surface pro a lot more in the future. But for now you seem to be right.

>>51283985
You're totally right, I just believe in the future people might think 'hey I like to sit at the couch and watch some movies/browse facebook/play farmville yet I too like to type some documents'

And no I've never used a Surface Pro, they're redicilously expensive.
>>
>>51281450
Please don't link to sites that use DRM.
>>
>>51284021
We have Surface Pros at work, and 99.9% of the time we use them like expensive laptops with bad keyboards. The one case they're useful for is when we need to show someone a 3D model; we can pull the "tablet" off the keyboard and hand it over and they can mess it around without having to sit down at a desk.

I think people will want to type on a "real" computer, but that need is relatively suited by a laptop. In my opinion, this is one area where "convergence" just isn't working; the phone/tablet/MID/PMP is a fundamentally different device than the desktop/laptop/UMPC. What it seems like Apple is driving at is that the first category is entirely sufficient for a large demographic's usage, hence the death of the PC's monopoly on computing
>>
>>51284021
>It was my future vision
Why though? I jumped on the touchscreen laptop trend way back in 2010 and seeing the current hardware/software, there is still barely any benefit and the ergonomics are retarded.

Surface Pro seems to be a slightly better move from functionality point of view, if you use it as a note taking device but doubt it will make a breakthrough with that price point or replace a laptop for normal fags without lap-ability.
>>
>>51284109
I see, you must have a nice job if they even use Surface Pros.

Yes coming to think of it people are better off with 2 devices. But M$ proves that you can make tablet laptops kind of work, and maybe in time they or someone else will come up with a 'perfect' device that really works well.

Remember when the iPad was released and people would just go computerless? It was a huge failure obviously considering everyone needed their PC again after 10 seconds, but it showed people are willing to drop their laptops and computers completely if (what they believe) a good alternative arrives.

>>51284136
>why though
Because I love the idea of a tablet/laptop combo, I just believe there hasn't been a proper design so far (and have my doubts if there will ever be) but when it is there, and maybe there is now, I think people will start using it.
>>
>>51281450

This doesn't change the fact that people like to sit on a desk to view their photos and YouTube videos on a large screen. People also like scrolling with a mouse wheel to find a photo or just about anything on the web.

Also, aren't computers like the iMac pretty popular? If desktop sales have dropped it probably has to do with the fact that people still have computers that can browse the web.

People like to sit down in front of a desk with a large screen and like to investigate things on Google or Wikipedia or wherever. People still like to have some computer time for different things that require organizing things.
>>
PCFAGS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

MICROSHILLS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
Nice clickbait faggot.

I say this as a gay man and an Apple fan. Also I would diddle Tim Cook.
>>
>/g/ - Afraid of New Technology

kill urselves
>>
File: 1355190030786.gif (2 MB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1355190030786.gif
2 MB, 160x120
>>51284383
>People like to sit down in front of a desk
>>
>>51283387

In my book, anyone to the left of the Republican Party is a communist traitor.
>>
>>51284477
flawless argument
>>
>>51284477
Read between the lines, anon

He's talking about porn
>>
>>51281450
makes sense, in a perfect world for apple osx doesn't exist and everyone has to buy their programs from the appstore. No sideloading.
>>
>>51284453

THE LATEST NEW GADGET IS GOING VIRAL

Sure you're millenial, fag/got
>>
>>51284492
desks suck, everyone hates them. the word has a negative connotation

couch master race
>>
>>51284548

It does?
>>
>>51284548
i was joking

i think apple is wrong tho. ipads are nice but if you need speed or precision nothing's better than a desktop or laptop w/ mouse and keyboard. i'm surprised they'd say something this retarded
>>
The PC market will slowly becoming a niche again
This is bad news because it will mean smaller manufacturing runs which means much higher prices
>>
>tiny screens
>terrible typing
>locked down software/hardware
>less functional interface for nearly every task
but IT'S SO CONVENIENT!

I can't wait until we decide that it's even more convenient to not use a computer at all and just use simple, intuitive mechanical devices for everything
>>
>>51281450
>What's taking them so long? RISC > CISC

Only true if the RISC architecture is designed to be a high-power, high-performance architecture, which ARM is not.

I hope they go for MIPS.
>>
>>51284656
On the other hand, it will also mean that more "daily" (read: web-based) utilities will need to be optimized for low-powered mobile devices, which will mean that older or secondhand hardware will have longer lifecycles.
>>
>>51284800
I doubt that. Websites are riddled with more and more javascript and other shit since the mobile revolution (in order to produce a Beautiful User Experience), and the hardware-software treadmill never ends. My 7-year-old PC sounds like a leafblower just running Firefox on some modern news website nowadays.
>>
>>51284800
>implying they'll be optimized for anything at all
>>
>>51281450
>Apple CEO Tim Cook declares end of the PC

Lots of people have declared the end of the PC. That's because they have a competing product they want to sell.

Yes, mobile device growth is currently outpacing PC growth. That's simply because the mobile market is immature and has yet to achieve the saturation level of the PC market.

Many dim-witted businessmen don't have the intellectual prowess to understand the different maturity levels of these different markets -- and so in their confusion they run around yammering about how it looks to them like the PC market is dying. (And some of them are smart enough to understand that the PC market is not dying, but they are trying to convince their dim-witted customers otherwise.) You can safely ignore all their ramblings.

Rest assured, content creators are not going to abandon PCs and switch over to mobile devices. You don't do professional document or media development with a touch interface, and you never will.
>>
>>51284800
i dont get that argument ... the servers will not have longer lifecycles. someone will have to pay for that
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.