[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux distro discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (41 KB, 356x413) Image search: [Google]
image.png
41 KB, 356x413
Going to be installing Linux on my laptop tomorrow, what's a good looking, functional and somewhat simple distro?
>>
gentoo
>>
>>51278121
install arch linux, that is assuming you have an IQ above 100. All other distros are for noobs who require their hand to be held because they lack the intelligence to understand a complex and intelligent OS like arch linux. the brightest minds would use something like arch linux

>>51278142
this is a meme, don't fall for it.
>>
>>51278121
Damn small Linux
Puppy linux
Arch linux if you want your basic know-how without a GUI
Gentoo if you have a lot of free time
>>
>>51278121
If it's your first Linux distro, just go with Mint. Fuck it, its easy for beginners and it also feels like Windows a bit to help the transition.
>>
Despite all the memery, arch is a good distro if you have the ability and patience to read the (very good) wiki. Just follow it closely and you'll be fine.
>>
>>51278188
no, just jump straight into arch linux.

>>51278193
don't listen to this noob. using baby distros like mint is the worst mistake a beginner can make.
>>
>>51278210
Shut up
>>
>>51278210
>implying I didn't start on Mint and work my way up
>>
>>51278121
Ubuntu or any of its derivatives, including Linux Mint and elementary OS. They all meet your requirements; good looking, functional, simple.
>>
>>51278255
you have no right to talk n00buntu babby

>>51278263
you're still encouraging bad advice. anyone who wants to master linux should just jump into arch linux and learn it from that.
>>
The last time I used Linux was some Red Hat on a magazine cover disk in the 90s or whatever.
Anyway, does any distro still have that spinning galaxy screensaver? That thing was bad ass.
>>
Mint (Cinnamon)
>>
>>51278303
Not the guy you were arguing with but, He said he wanted a simple distro, we can argue all day about how arch is easy to install or whatever the fuck you want, but its still a better idea to get a feel for linux on mint or ubuntu first. Dont listen to these tards op, switch to arch after you feel comfortable using linux in general, id advise mint or ubuntu for your first go.
>>
>>51278382
I would avoid Unbuntu just because of Unity.
>>
>>51278382
You can learn more spending MAX one hour installing arch than you do using Ubuntu for months.

Arch is easy enough with the documentation AND it forces you to understand what's going on too.
>>
>>51278401
Yeah mint is probably the best option, wanted to give him several though.
>>
>>51278401
There are more *Buntus out there, like Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome.
>>
>>51278121
opensuse leap
>>
Slackware

Once you're done installing it and setting up everything at forst you barely touch that stuff later.
>>
>>51278411
Thats a fair point, but idk telling the guy to just jump into arch seems kinda dangerous, have you seen the friendly linux threads? Some of these kids ignore the wiki exists entirely.
>>
Fedora or Debian with GNOME or KDE as the Desktop environment
>>
>>51278401
What's everyoens beef with unity. It's pretty intuitive for anyone coming from windows or osx. I switched from Debian to Ubuntu after the former adopted GNOME 3, which is a much worse de.
>>
>>51278263
I jumped right into Fedora. Had a hell of a time but it was a good decision.
>>
>>51278457
>upgrade system
>linked library is missing
>tfw manually check and rebuild everyshit
>>
>>51278411
You are absolutely correct, but it's something for people wanting to dive deeper into the world, not for those wanting to wet their feet with it.

You start small, then move on when/if you get a thirst for more.

Mint gives a good looking, good functioning and "just werks" Linux experience. When he decides this is something he'd like to go for, he can give Arch a try.
>>
>>51278411
normal people learn by actively researching a topic. not by needing a distro that is always broken.

and you are learning arch, nothing more. you will utterly fail RHCSA.
>>
>>51278121
Gentoo.
>>
>>51278121
LFS
>>
Ignore everyone telling you to install Arch. It uses Systemd and should thus be avoided at all costs. You don't want to fall into that software trap as a newcomer.

I recommend Gentoo/Funtoo, Slackware or Void.
>>
>>51278272
No fucking elementary os. Piece of shit. I'll let ubuntu and even mint slide because they have they're place but more fucking elementary.
>>
>>51278514
Arch isn't broken you're just a tard.
>>
>>51278166
archkids will defend this
# pacman -S p7zip
$ ln -s /tmp foo
$ 7z a test.7z foo
$ rm foo
$ mkdir foo
$ echo hello > foo/test
$ 7z a test.7z foo/test
$ rm -rf foo
$ 7z x test.7z
$ ls -l foo

Gentoo and Debian don't have this problem
>>
>>51278638
it's broken, otherwise you could just use your computer w/o caring about the OS and needing to learn something about it.
>>
File: 1429042469407.png (176 KB, 680x425) Image search: [Google]
1429042469407.png
176 KB, 680x425
>>51278166
>calls gentoo a meme
>recommends Arch
>>
>>51278272
I'd say Xunbutu (ubuntu with XFCE) is better than eOS. I've used eOS for a while but it's just buggy compared to Ubuntu.
>>
>>51278411
>You can learn more spending MAX one hour installing arch than you do using Ubuntu for months.
you learn arch's zillion NIH tools (pacman, pacstrap, genfstab, arch-chroot, mkinitcpio, netctl, ...)
very useful indeed
>>
If you want a Linux Distro that will work like an OS instead of a Hobby and is user friendly then you install Mint.

If you want a distro to learn with (presumably for the corporate world) then you install Fedora.
>>
>>51278673
arch is not a meme. butthurt gentoofags call it that because nobody likes their shit OS compared to arch.
>>
Great job /g/ another one fell for your memes
>>
>>51278708
>Linux Distro that will work like an OS instead of a Hobby and is user friendly then you install Mint.
security updates disabled by default is NOT how a real OS is supposed to work.
>>
>>51278746
>security updates disabled by default is NOT how a real OS is supposed to work.
wait, what?
>>
So you're picking up OS maintainance and using command line for basic tasks as hobby, nice. Install fedora on pc and your head as well.
>>
>>51278773
how can you upgrade Fedora without the command line?
>>
>>51278121
Antergos is the best Arch based distro in my opinion. I'm currently using it and I've tried Manjaro before. I have to say that Manjaro is just not up to par. Antergos is stable, fast and the installer is great. Good luck man!
>>
ARCH
R
C
H
>>
>>51278382
arch is a very simple distro and you can learn all about linux without catering to noobs. if you have trouble understanding arch linux, I have a ton of sympathy for your mental retardation.
>>
>>51278746
It only hides updates that are known to or are highly likely to fuck up your system. Security updates are not disabled by default. There is just an option to show them even if they are rated as a high risk (think about how Windows 10 kept pushing bad drivers).

It is NOT an option you want enabled.
>>
>>51278818
what exactly did you learn? got any linux certs to proof your knowledge?
>>
>>51278845
>It only hides updates that are known to or are highly likely to fuck up your system.
hiding kernel and xorg updates is just retarded. it's not like mint does any testing by itself anyway, just leeching of Ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't have any problems with those updates, and does test them before pushing.
>>
Get Mint. Thank me later
>>
>>51278845
>Security updates are not disabled by default.
yes, they are. no security updates for the kernel is beyond excuse.
>>
Going into Linux with no knowledge, what should I learn before I install a distro
>>
File: terrific.gif (1024 KB, 184x141) Image search: [Google]
terrific.gif
1024 KB, 184x141
>>51279051

Calculus and a basic understanding of the ethics of morality and judgement.

We linux users are decent people, faggot.
>>
>>51278166
>gentoo is a meme, don't fall for it
>arch isn't

>>51278121
If you're a beginner, I wouldn't recommend Gentoo or Arch. Install something that's easier to use first.
>>
>>51278932
Prove it.
>>
>>51279973
uname -r
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.