[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why switch to linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Linux-Vs-windows.jpg (9 KB, 200x213) Image search: [Google]
Linux-Vs-windows.jpg
9 KB, 200x213
Im wondering what are the pros and cons of switching to linux.
>>
>>51277566
Pros : It's not Windows
Cons : It's not Windows
>>
File: 200.png (10 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
200.png
10 KB, 300x100
>this thread
>>
You have source code of it so if your task requires making changes to kernel, you do not depend on vendor doing it.

Even without making modifications to kernel, not depending on vendor can be very beneficial for business.
>>
>>51277566
pros:
you get mad pussy when grils know you use linux
you get to feel superior to everyone else because you are
you become an elite haxor almost overnight

cons:
linux isn't very safe because everyone can see the code
>>
>>51277580
/thread
>>
>>51277643
Thank you so much. I will be switching tonight
>>
>>51277566
pros: muh freedom,
you will feel like a pro hacker
people will think you are some kind of genius/hacker
you can customize everything(?)
it just werks and no lags and shit like that
you will actually learn some things
you won't have to use mouse/tochpad anymore (at least it will be less than on win)

cons: gayyyyymes,
you have to learn some stuff (even if it's easy)
you have to use console/terminal/whatever it's called,
there are too many options, there is no Linux 10, Linux 8.1 or something like that, you have 9001 linux distros and desktop enviroments to choose from and you will have try out them out, asking about "the best linux distro for me" won't help you, so yea it's kinda time consuming

actually don't listen to what I say, I just switched to linux (arch + i3) on my laptop few days ago so I know pretty much nothing
>>
Pros:
-Better font rendering that can be tweaked
-Support for older hardware that just may not work anymore with new versions of Windows
-Freedom to choose between several distros or do things almost from scratch
-Multiple Desktop Environments and Window Managers to choose from
-You can do whatever the fuck you want with updates
-In a single year there's a shitton of progression and little regression (you will hardly have to downgrade any packages), as opposed to Microsoft which just releases a similar system every 3 to 4 years that ends up working worse than the previous until it's patched enough
-Did I mention you can just install several programs using a single command line, and they share libraries instead of installing them over and over?

Cons:
-Terrible, terrible community that will hate your guts for using something they don't use specifically
-systemd nonsense wars
-Wine staging not enough of a good option if you play some PC titles
-Adobe products don't work as well
-You -might- have issues with your hardware, even though incompatibilities have been severely reduced in these last years
-Good luck with quite a few x86 tablets! Any normal distro barely works on them. God have mercy on your soul if they have a digitizer as well.
-You might prefer things like foobar2k and mpc-hc
-Don't fool yourself, it's not going to automagically make you truly invisible. There's no such thing as black and white "either big brother or not being tracked by anything", it's just safer than using Cortana. Chrome and Chromium are still Chrome and Chromium.
-If you actually want to be productive you're pretty limited on what you have as a choice if you don't want to waste time.
>>
>>51277566
pros: you instantly become l33t hacker
cons: the amount of your awesomeness can give you god complex
>>
>>51277566
Pros: programming in C is native
Cons: Driver support in some systems is buggy
>>
File: 117461.png (190 KB, 800x928) Image search: [Google]
117461.png
190 KB, 800x928
Fun things you can only do when using GNU/Linux:

- Pretend that the difficulty of use and the incomprehensibility of commands inherent in Lunix is actually a badge of honor.
- Look at ugly, distorted fonts in your browser and on any other application you might want to run
- Reformat and install another distribution. (People have been known to do this continuously for weeks. Hint: they all suck. Stop wasting your time.)
- Watch a console display error messages.
- Convince yourself that Open Office is "just as good" as Microsoft Office.
- Read countless manuals to do the simplest of tasks. And still fail
- Say you use Lunix (which will get your ass kicked, even by other Lunix users.)
- Think of ways at work to bring up the subject of how you use Lunix, because the penguin thing didn't work.
- Fail to realize that, penguin or not, noone gives a fuck about what operating system you use.
- Eat KFC chicken around the clock.
- Manually edit config files.
- Run a virtual instance of Windows so you can play games, while at the same time saying how much you hate Microsoft.
- Argue that KDE is better than GNOME.
- Argue that GNOME is better than KDE.
- Argue that both GNOME and KDE are inferior to your chosen environment.
- Develop carpal tunnel from keyboard usage between bouts of excessive self-pleasure borne out of social-retardation.
- Depend on easy to use programs like vi.
- Try to learn how to do simple tasks in emacs, eventually using notepad to complete the same task.
- Keep your virginity.
- Be a badass non-conformist.
- Never get viruses, ever, like how a virgin never gets STDs.
- Graphically chart the shrinkage of your penis over time with bundled, GPL'd software such as GNUPlot. This is a highly requested feature among lunix users.
- Discussing the awesome non-ntfs filesystems you can use with lunix, for example one written by a convicted murderer.
- Spend hours of your life compiling bits of code, just to find out it was EPIC FAIL!
>>
switch or don't, I don't really care
just put Mint on my shit specced thinkpad and it uses about 250MB RAM on idle compared to Windows 10 using about 1.3GB. That's out of the total 2GB of RAM I have in this thing, by the way. World of difference.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.